Wii and ......

figgie

Supreme [H]ardness
pacemakers???

Well I work for one of the companies that makes pacemakers, Implantible Cardiac Defibs (ICD) etc.

We just got this letter from our QA dept

"• Device Interaction Studies: Obtained a Nintendo Wii Sports system and conducted an evaluation with a KDR933 to answer a specific question for a pediatric Kappa patient. We found no interaction or impact on the IPG; full report being prepared. The Nintendo manual recommends maintaining a 9” distance between the controller and a pacemaker; have several calls into Nintendo to understand the reasoning behind their labeling"

so for now, the Wii-mote does not cause any issues with cardiac pacemakers ;)

hah, i suppose that is a valid concern with the wireless controllers and the possibility of the demographic expanding to include older people as well.

good to know the wii is safe for g-pa!

I think if you have a pacemaker you should be more worried about the exertion of playing a Wii, then you should the controller frying the pacemaker.

Erasmus354 said:
I think if you have a pacemaker you should be more worried about the exertion of playing a Wii, then you should the controller frying the pacemaker.

why is that?

the latest pacemakers are pretty slick :) They detect effort and speed the heart rate up accordingly (kind of what happens naturally). We have had patients that they recieve an pacemaker or pacemaker/icd combo and they have done the Ironman triathlon without any issues.

Back