WiFi can't see File Server, LAN can see it

Here's the setup:

Broadband internet comes into the building, hooked up to a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wi-Fi enabled router, which is then hooked up to a switch where every other computer and switch plugs into (including the file server).

Every computer can get onto the internet.
Ever computer that is wired into the switch can see the file server.
The laptop using Wi-Fi can see the internet but can't see the file server, and I'd assume any other computer that's on the switch.

Do any of you happen to have any ideas or suggestions for me to get the laptop to see the server over wi-fi? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

I suggest first plugging the laptop into the switch to make sure it's not just that particular PC, then I would plug it into one of the router's other ports. Can you ping the file server?

try pinging the file server if you can do so try goign to my network places, click search and enter the name or ip of the server see if that works

also in the address box or under the run command type \\servername or \\serverip

Both being the real name or real ip. Should be able to hit it that way. I would think they have different workgroups or something. Could be a lot of things.

In Windows XP, make sure to run the Network Setup Wizard. You actually have to run that wizard in order to make sure that your laptop is part of the workgroup.

Whatever you do don't run the network wizard. If it's home or Pro that isn't on a domain you have to run the initial wizard, to enable file sharing functionality. Beyond that don't touch any wizards would be my advice

Why not run the wizard?

I agree most of the other XP wizards are useless but the Network Setup Wizard has helped me fix my LAN.

I make a nice little side job living off people that run the network wizard. Pitiful.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Here’s the update:
I could ping the server just fine, but a search for it wouldn’t find it.
The shortcut to the server (//servername) would not work anymore,
but because it would ping the ip I decided to make a new shortcut via ip (//serverip) which worked!
I then looked at the laptops workgroup and sure enough, it was different than the rest
of the network, it was set to MSHOME.
Again, I appreciate the help, thanks.

Yeah, name resolution, finding a remote computer by name, on a windows workgroup is iffy at best. Always use the IP would be my suggestion but if you cant get name resolution to work properly then using the computer name should be fine as well.

Resolving names in a windows workgroup uses a Master browser mechanism. Typically the first computer on the network to come up will win the master browser election. Generally speaking that machine should stay on. At least if you want to keep hitting network resources by name. You can also use your hosts or LMHosts as well but if a machine changes it's IP then this can cause problems, not solve them. More often than not however DHCP leases for home based networks are such that a PC remaining on the same port will keep its IP indefinitely, even after reboots.

Back