Why nvidia won't release dual GPU cards?

From what I have read about dual-GPU cards, they are almost never worth the premium price put on them. They are typically a significantly downclocked version of the single GPU card, and typically cost more than 2x of the single cards in the first place.

I'd beg to differ, at least in recent examples. The 295x2 was a terrific combo of a tweaked dual-core card with improved clocks an integrated water-cooling solution. Was it worth £1200 on release (much, much less now), I don't know, but it definitely offered something more than just two Crossfired cards. Further, the recent Powercolor Devil dual-core series is a terrific custom-designed cooler, runs at same speeds as single-core cards, and have been put out there for not much more than the cost two separate cards. Dual-core solutions can actually offer advantages over two separate cards.

But yeah, NVidia currently has a hate-boner for multi-GPU so a dual-GPU card won't happen.

The 295X2 was a 500W card that peaked at 646W. It was pretty much just 2 regular cards in 1. It was anything but terrific. It was a dinosaur. That's pretty much twice the power as my entire PC uses.

The latest dual card in the form of the Radeon Pro Duo exist in around 1000 units. That screams wrong. Its another dual GPU product that should never exist, because its just stealing money from the rest.

More like MGPU fad seems to be over. I have 2 1080s in my rig and only one does the work in latest games. Forza Horizon 3, Deus Ex MD (until recently), Mafia 3, Gears of War 4 etc.

the dual-GPU card fad is over

A great talking point, as pc gpu power has massively pulled ahead for the typical 1080p user, and even 2560 with sane settings. So they'd rather sell one gpu for $1200 than two for $600 each.

A great talking point, as pc gpu power has massively pulled ahead for the typical 1080p user, and even 2560 with sane settings. So they'd rather sell one gpu for $1200 than two for $600 each.

Not to mention the #1 reason Maxwell sold so well is because of the TDP; doubling the TDP for wonky scaling issues isn't exactly good PR for Nvidia.

Back