Why no love for the Samsung OLED G9 here?

improwise

Gawd
Even as a 42" OLED C2 owner and someone that generally prefers flat 16:9 monitors I am a bit surprised why there seems to be so little love for the Samsung OLED G9 here. Obviously a lot of people in here seems to enjoy OLED as I do, and also UW format and curved monitors, and a 32:9 240 hz one with gen 2 QD-OLED seems like it should attract more attention here than it does. One reason could of course be its high price, but the G9 57" is even more expensive, bigger and same format and seems to attract a lot of attention (myself included).

What am I missing causing the lack of interest for the OLED G9? :)

Last edited:
Same. I am not touching any OLED with less than 4K resolution unless they change to a standard RGB pixel structure.
While I am in the same camp as you guys, it does have the same PPI as the 42" LG OLED and people seem to like the UW format and previous G9s with same resolution were quite popular here as I recall.

While I am in the same camp as you guys, it does have the same PPI as the 42" LG OLED and people seem to like the UW format and previous G9s with same resolution were quite popular here as I recall.
The difference comes from viewing distance. G9 would be closer to desktop monitor viewing distance whereas 42" LG would be used further away probably with 125% scaling which helps mitigate the pixel structure issues.

The difference comes from viewing distance. G9 would be closer to desktop monitor viewing distance whereas 42" LG would be used further away probably with 125% scaling which helps mitigate the pixel structure issues.
Not sure I follow here, why would viewing distance/monitor positioning be anything but user preference and why would one be different from the other in this regards? For the Neo G9 with it's massive curve and poor viewing angles, you would more be forced to a specific distance as the sweet spot is very limited.

I am running my C2s at 100% BTW.

Not sure I follow here, why would viewing distance/monitor positioning be anything but user preference and why would one be different from the other in this regards? For the Neo G9 with it's massive curve and poor viewing angles, you would more be forced to a specific distance as the sweet spot is very limited.

I am running my C2s at 100% BTW.
49" 5120x1440 is equivalent to two 27" 1440p monitors as you know. This means that scaling is IMO unviable because 125% would result in a miserable 4096x1152 desktop area that is quite narrow vertically, whereas your 42" at 125% scaling is still 3072x1728 so there's plenty of vertical space. Even 150% scaling is still 2560x1440.

I used the Samsung CRG9 at 100% scaling and aside from sharpness felt that was a great amount of desktop space. I currently use 2x 28" 4K screens both with 150% scaling for the same desktop area but of course sharper text/UI. On the 7680x2160 Samsung G95NC I tried in a store, I felt 125% scaling was spot on for the viewing distance I find works well with these super ultrawides.

I find that at least my LG CX 48" does not look nice at 100% scaling. The pixel structure issues are more noticeable than when using a bit of scaling. The size of this and the 42" model also means that for comfortable viewing you do want it further away from your eyeballs compared to a 49" superultrawide.

Like the first gen qd-oled it has issues. "G9 cracking" should be enough to google it.
Well, this is unsettling … and after looking it up online … it seems to be a massively widespread issue. I was about to lay down a few grand on the 57" 4K Odyssey G9: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...dr-1000-curved-gaming-monitor-ls57cg952nnxza/

I'm going to be going to school for software engineering and wanted one wide display instead of having separate displays, but now hearing about all these issues I'm feeling extremely reluctant. Is there another brand/monitor that's comparable to this that doesn't have these ridiculous issues?

Honestly, I don't know why I'm even thinking of getting another Samsung display. I've had nothing but issues with my Neo QLED TV. Their quality control is garbage.

49" 5120x1440 is equivalent to two 27" 1440p monitors as you know. This means that scaling is IMO unviable because 125% would result in a miserable 4096x1152 desktop area that is quite narrow vertically, whereas your 42" at 125% scaling is still 3072x1728 so there's plenty of vertical space. Even 150% scaling is still 2560x1440.

I used the Samsung CRG9 at 100% scaling and aside from sharpness felt that was a great amount of desktop space. I currently use 2x 28" 4K screens both with 150% scaling for the same desktop area but of course sharper text/UI. On the 7680x2160 Samsung G95NC I tried in a store, I felt 125% scaling was spot on for the viewing distance I find works well with these super ultrawides.

I find that at least my LG CX 48" does not look nice at 100% scaling. The pixel structure issues are more noticeable than when using a bit of scaling. The size of this and the 42" model also means that for comfortable viewing you do want it further away from your eyeballs compared to a 49" superultrawide.
That seems more like a "UW problem" than a OLED G9 problem though? As mentioned above, I am not really a UW fan myself but seems like many people are and that scaling problem should be the same for most of them. Come to think of it perhaps the forum doesn't have the "UW craze" that you can see elsewhere on the Internet so maybe that is the reason why the OLED G9 isn't discussed/preferred as much. Personally, I am considering the idea if it could be worth while to try out an OLED G9 + 42" C2 setup as an alternative to my dual 42" C2 as the top C2 currently really gets quite high up in my stacked setup. But the sane thing is probably to hold out for the 32" OLEDs but monitor patient isn't my strong suit :)

The idea of using scaling on a 110 PPI screen is beyond me though and would in itself rule out a monitor for me, but then I am used to running my 27" 4Ks at 100% :)

That seems more like a "UW problem" than a OLED G9 problem though? As mentioned above, I am not really a UW fan myself but seems like many people are and that scaling problem should be the same for most of them. Come to think of it perhaps the forum doesn't have the "UW craze" that you can see elsewhere on the Internet so maybe that is the reason why the OLED G9 isn't discussed/preferred as much. Personally, I am considering the idea if it could be worth while to try out an OLED G9 + 42" C2 setup as an alternative to my dual 42" C2 as the top C2 currently really gets quite high up in my stacked setup. But the sane thing is probably to hold out for the 32" OLEDs but monitor patient isn't my strong suit :)

The idea of using scaling on a 110 PPI screen is beyond me though and would in itself rule out a monitor for me, but then I am used to running my 27" 4Ks at 100% :)
Yes it's certainly a problem on the 3440x1440 QD-OLEDs as well, or the LG 27" 1440p OLEDs.

I love the superultrawide aspect ratio. I think it's perfect for desktop use, a bit problematic for games. The bigger problem is all in the OLED pixel structure paired with a relatively low resolution. At least on the bigger 4K models the size is enough that more viewing distance helps mitigate the low PPI and scaling helps if text size is too small and at the same time gets around most of the text fringing issues.

I can't imagine using a 27" 4K monitor at 100% scaling unless you are zooming every app out there individually. Everything is just tiny and I have laser corrected vision so it's not even about that.

I went from 34 inch UW to 38 to a 50 inch TV with a remote and i will never ever choose any display without one ever again.

HDR 1000,1500,2000,2500 with a pc means you have to usually tweak a lot to get the most out of mixed content.
To get the best picture in movies (HDR tweaks on the TV besides the on/off switch in windows) and be able to work (low brightness) i have to change settings at least twice a day.

My next goal is a XR-65X95L after my QN90A dies.

Last edited:
I can't imagine using a 27" 4K monitor at 100% scaling unless you are zooming every app out there individually. Everything is just tiny and I have laser corrected vision so it's not even about that.
Well, never had any eye surgery nor needed visual aids like glasses etc so can't really comment on that but when using my triple monitor setup with 27" 4Ks, they are all running at 100% scaling. For gaming you might want a bit immersion though.

Well, this is unsettling … and after looking it up online … it seems to be a massively widespread issue. I was about to lay down a few grand on the 57" 4K Odyssey G9: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...dr-1000-curved-gaming-monitor-ls57cg952nnxza/

I'm going to be going to school for software engineering and wanted one wide display instead of having separate displays, but now hearing about all these issues I'm feeling extremely reluctant. Is there another brand/monitor that's comparable to this that doesn't have these ridiculous issues?

Honestly, I don't know why I'm even thinking of getting another Samsung display. I've had nothing but issues with my Neo QLED TV. Their quality control is garbage.
I would imagine that the G9 cracking is much more common on the more aggressively curved variant rather than the OLED G9?

I would imagine that the G9 cracking is much more common on the more aggressively curved variant rather than the OLED G9?
It just makes me iffy. I'm torn between the Samsung and the LG. I'm also reading that Samsung doesn't honor their warranty on anything that actually matters.

I'm not much of a fan because it's a little small vertically and it's curved. Until game devs and/or GPU vendors start implementing curvature correction a curved monitor screws up the projection. Game rendering assumes the monitor is flat. Curved can be good on a large VA screen since it helps with the off-angle color shifting. I don't mind curved monitors for work use. We actually have curved screens at the office and I don't have any complaints with them. Curved actually works well for office apps, especially extra wide spreadsheets. In the case of office apps it makes them less distorted. 3D games are "projected" onto the screen, so stuff a the edges gets stretched a bit. You'll see this more on an ultrawide but if you really want to see it line up 3 screens in a row and enable surround. Desktop/office apps don't do those angle calculations just work in raw pixels, so on a flat screen pixels way off on the edge look smaller. A curved screen makes pixels out towards the sides look bigger than on a flat screen, which is good for a desktop/office app on a large screen since it undoes some of that apparent shrinkage as you get farther away. So I don't like curved screens for gaming, especially OLEDs. They don't have off-angle viewing problems like large VA LCDs and curved screws up the projection.

As I had to order a second 42" C-series monitor (third really but gave one of the previous C2s away) I decided to also give the OLED G9 a try again as I wanted to get a feeling for what all the rave is about. Having compared it to my C2 (C3 not delivered yet) side by side for a few hours I just don't get it. Like the previous OLED G9 I tried out a few months ago when it was new, to me, it just does not look as good as the C2/C3. Have tried tinkering with all possible settings, even tried different cables etc but besides a slightly stronger push in reds, it looks noticeably more fuzzy even compared with the C2/C3 which actually has a slightly lower PPI. Personally not a fan of 32:9 but can't really fault the G9 for that.

It should be said that all my LG OLEDs are ungimped from day one. I suspect there might be something similar for the G9 but while it probably might unlock some additional brightness (at even higher risks of burn in), it probably wont affect sharpness.

I've mostly compared them with static "desktop" stuff as I feel they are to similar to compare for movies/games to actually spot a difference unless you use instruments etc. The G9 is of course also 240 hz compared to only 120 hz on the LGs.

Perhaps QD-OLEDs just isn't for me...

Last edited:
Weirdly enough, I find that PQ and especially text rendering improves quite a bit with AutoHDR enabled, which is quite the opposite to my usual experience with AutoHDR. The 120hz refresh rate bump is also quite nice, even as a middle aged casual gamer. Getting rid of Tizen OS by buying the G93 instead of the G95 is also a plus.

I picked up this display two weeks ago and I have to say I’m very impressed. So far so good. Running with a 14900k and 4090 everything looks and runs amazingly well. I’m very happy with it so far. I used display guys calibration settings and that made a big difference. Without his settings hdr looked like shit on the desktop and now everything looks great. Very happy. I replaced the 34” aw ips 120 hz display alot of us had from a few years ago. Forgot the model number. You guys know the one. I think from 2018?

I picked up this display two weeks ago and I have to say I’m very impressed. So far so good. Running with a 14900k and 4090 everything looks and runs amazingly well. I’m very happy with it so far. I used display guys calibration settings and that made a big difference. Without his settings hdr looked like shit on the desktop and now everything looks great. Very happy. I replaced the 34” aw ips 120 hz display alot of us had from a few years ago. Forgot the model number. You guys know the one. I think from 2018?
Dell usually names their monitors by size and year of release, so it would be the AW3418DW.

Dell usually names their monitors by size and year of release, so it would be the AW3418DW.
Yup that is the one.

Just want to add that I am also fairly surprised that this display doesn’t get more attention here. I paid 1100 at Best Buy with the total membership thing I post for yearly so it would have been 100 more if not and at that price point I find it to be fantastic. I believe this launched at 2000 or close to it in the summer correct? At 2k I’m not sure but at 11-1200 definitely I say yes. Checks all the boxes for me for at least a year or two I would think lol.

Last edited:
Yup that is the one.

Just want to add that I am also fairly surprised that this display doesn’t get more attention here. I paid 1100 at Best Buy with the total membership thing I post for yearly so it would have been 100 more if not and at that price point I find it to be fantastic. I believe this launched at 2000 or close to it in the summer correct? At 2k I’m not sure but at 11-1200 definitely I say yes. Checks all the boxes for me for at least a year or two I would think lol.
As mentioned in post #3 of this thread, we already have a 17-page thread for it:

https://hardforum.com/threads/samsung-odyssey-neo-g9-57-7680x2160-super-ultrawide-mini-led.2024564

Build quality is said to be much better on the OLED. I just ordered one. I will post my initial impressions here if you wish.

It just makes me iffy. I'm torn between the Samsung and the LG. I'm also reading that Samsung doesn't honor their warranty on anything that actually matters.
I ordered mine from Best Buy and tacked on the 169 for 4 years of swap out coverage just in case. Mine arrives on Xmass Eve and I had better be impressed for 1300.00

I ordered mine from Best Buy and tacked on the 169 for 4 years of swap out coverage just in case. Mine arrives on Xmass Eve and I had better be impressed for 1300.00
I ended up getting the Samsung OLED G9. It's honestly the best monitor I have ever owned and now I can't see myself ever going back to a narrower monitor. I did the 4 year warranty from Best Buy as well. I think you will like it.

Build quality is said to be much better on the OLED. I just ordered one. I will post my initial impressions here if you wish.
I already own it and yes, the build quality is much better. Or rather, it just feels more modern and premium compared to the Neo G9s, which is what I assume you are comparing with?

I already own it and yes, the build quality is much better. Or rather, it just feels more modern and premium compared to the Neo G9s, which is what I assume you are comparing with?
believe it or not, Best Buy pushed out my order past Xmas. That pissed me off so I started shopping , canceled my order and grabbed the LG OLED. I am glad that I did. I am not sure the Samsung would fit. Well it would but I would have get rid of my 32 and my keyboard would not have lined up on center. If i do not like this i can always return it. I am not so worries about the PPI . My eyes are 63 years old and its for gaming mostly. I just fired it up. I will leave impressions in the thread that addresses this guy.
20231222_220045.jpg

Back