Why I think that Physx card will be succesful.

I'm not really sold on PPU's at the moment but between one of those and an X-Fi I would take the PPU if I was really wanting the best gaming rig... I can live without EAX and I use a reciever and SPDIF so I'm just getting the 1's-0's send to the reciever and dont have to worry about DAC quality.

I think creative products appeal to 1-2 types of people; people who buy anything having to do with the words pc and gaming or completists who feel EAX 4.0 is truly beneficial to the gaming experience. I avoid creative because I have never owned a creative sound card without horrible sound issues or terribly bloated drivers.

Lo Pan said:
...X-Fis are a waste of money. I pay a hundred and twenty-one dollars for what? True immsersive sound? That's bullshit, running "True immsersive sound" requires more than the 5 (or is it 8) channels it gives you. If I would use 8 channels of sound, I would buy an X-Fi. Since I don't, I don't plan on buying one.

People with an X-Fi and headphones will strongly disagree with that...
One of the thing I hear people say(I use a 7.1 speaker setup myself) is that the X-Fi has a really good sound/3D with headphones...

Terra...

peacetilence said:
I'm not really sold on PPU's at the moment but between one of those and an X-Fi I would take the PPU if I was really wanting the best gaming rig... I can live without EAX and I use a reciever and SPDIF so I'm just getting the 1's-0's send to the reciever and dont have to worry about DAC quality.

I think creative products appeal to 1-2 types of people; people who buy anything having to do with the words pc and gaming or completists who feel EAX 4.0 is truly beneficial to the gaming experience. I avoid creative because I have never owned a creative sound card without horrible sound issues or terribly bloated drivers.

And you sound like you never have heard BF2 or Quake 4 on an X-Fi :rolleyes:
But I guees this look bloated to you too:
xfi9mw.jpg

Terra - Besides the X-Fi is EAX 5.0 HD...get your facts straight...

I didn't enjoy BF2 or Quake 4 and no I haven't heard a X-Fi. I just meant that tossing up the options of what you seem more practical in a gaming I would choose the PPU over the EAX 5.0 HD or whatever EAX feature that comes on the cards For everything else other sound cards and even onboard sound can do whatever the creative can (using stereo spdif for example) except the EAX features or whatever you want to call them. So toodecide between what I would want to fill the one PCI slot I have I would sacrifice and use onboard sound vs not having a PPU if I wanted the best gaming rig and I wouldnt feel like I was missing out much.

Well, i guess the general concensus is that a new soundcard is better than a PPU

hmm craparific Realtek audio and a PPU or a Great sounding Audio....what to choose

And i have heard what a pair of Klipch 5.1 speakers have sounded like on an Asus motherboard and a Audigy 2. The difference is Night and Day. Might as well unplug the speakers if you are going to use onboard sound. Hell even my Logitech 5300s sound like total ass with onboard. The bass just isnt as clear. Although i use my Headphones more than my speakers i still wouldnt give up the Dedicated sound card.

So i guess spending 121 bucks on a sound card you can use in and out of a game over spending 250 bucks on a PPU you can only use in a game is a good deal then :D

Guy,

Seriously someone(s) here have very short memories. Remember Voodoo? 3DFX? high priced hardware only the rich could afford?

Seriously Agia(S) SDK and PPU will make it, of that I am almost sure.

Infact I wouldn t be surprised if a year from now both Nvidia and ATI video cards supported calls to the Agia SDK code. They can build these cards for $100 each but not with the full abilities of the current cards. The current cards are being sold as a (huge) difference as in WOW night and day improvements.

A $100 card might give you some of that but not all of that. Also what happens if they start producing the Agia Physics card on 65 nm? The price should go down and they can make faster/better cards.

Seriously this is a no brainer issue.

Either there are a bunch of Escalade driving rich bozo's with money who will buy it, or it will bomb. Knowing how people behave in the US and the fact that Agia is not labled "the bad guy" [cough cough rambus/MPAA/RIAA anyone?] I seriously believe that they will make it.

Flame on

Mackintire

Mackintire said:
Good post, no flame from me, but even good companies fail sometimes (although I don't wish it would happen, I would like my games to have enhanced physics).

I have a X-Fi, and I love it. I use an A8N32, and I can add in a PPU with yet another PCI remaining for an upgrade.

Mackintire said:
Seriously someone(s) here have very short memories. Remember Voodoo? 3DFX? high priced hardware only the rich could afford?

It's different then. All you have to do is show the visual improvements of a 3D accelerator to show what it can do. Even with the first generation accelerators, 320x200 raised to 640x480 and double the framerate, it's easily proven that it works.

How do you explain the concept of a PPU to an average consumer? If you say more objects, you'll actually be stepping into the realm of the video cards. And right now, the first practical example shows the PPU actually SLOWING down your PC.

Xipher said:
Don't forget, they don't have to pay any thing to get the acceleration, all they have to do is adopt the PhysX SDK, which is freely available from their site. Mind you if they have already chossen another SDK such as Havok, I don't see any reason to change. I do agree, it will take a while before it's will likely be accepted, but having the SDK available to any one for free just might help.

Free doesn't really matter; not to a developer that spends millions making games, anyway. What matters is how easily "it" can implemented and whether or not "its" widey supported.

I'm personally hoping that Havok FX fails miserably. Thats the tech that definately will want a lot of cash for very little gain, but also very little potntial gain.

It seems like there are a couple of misconceptions about the Aegia PPU, not to mention a distinct lack of common sense on this thread :p . To clear things up a bit:

-As I understand it, Aegia is not a hardware manufacturer, they aren't "making" anything themselves. They invented and own the intellectual property (or blueprint) that's being used to create the PPU's, along with the software needed to make them work, but they'll make their money from licensing the design to hardware vendors. It's the same thing Nvidia does with GPU's.

-The $300 price tag isn't cast in stone for eternity. Initially, ANY technology is expensive, which is part of the reason why there are so few early adopters of new hardware. If it proves to be good tech, more and more will sell and the price will come down. A perfect example of this is the VCR. When they first came out they cost thousands of dollars (in 1980 dollars). Within a few years they were down to $2-300, and now you can get one at WalMart for less than fifty bucks. The initial price won't make or break Aegia if the tech is good, which it seems to be, and if their idea catches on you'll be able to buy a PPU for $100 or less within two years.

Personally, I think it's a great idea that will just take a little time to sink in. If Aegia has the money to tough-out the industry's "teething pains" they have the potential to be the next Nvidia. I'm hoping they do, because the technology looks to be fantastic and so far they've barely scratched the surface of what can be done with it.

Well my first impressions of the PPU aren't very good. I thought the physics actually looked better w/o a ppu on GRAW. All the PPU did was add some ugly looking square particles, obviously wont be the future but wow, what a way to kick start it.

i think.... motherboard makers should put an onboard physics chip... aegia would make a killing doing that also.. then you dont need to use a pci i slot....

Earthworm48 said:
I'm personally hoping that Havok FX fails miserably. Thats the tech that definately will want a lot of cash for very little gain, but also very little potntial gain.
I don't like Havok because it is very slow. I have both the Havok lugin for max, and the Ageia one, and a simple simulations (Some falling boxes) will completely slow down my CPU, while a much more complex ageia one, will get better FPS.

Back