why does this website look differnt in different browsers

Malikman

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay,
I'm making this website for my brother and it's *almost* done... the problem is when i go to safari the arrows are on the right and if i use internet explorer there are no numbers (for the pictures) and in firefox... life is perfect. Can someone please help me to fix this problem as it needs to be perfect and such.

http://mysite.verizon.net/malikfam

Thank you SO much... i'm at a loss why it's not working cross-platform wise. All links, arrows (for the pictures) and the picture placement is all done in CSS. I don't see why it is being weird. Please help! This is driving me up a wall at this point and i want it done.

EDIT: everything seems to be working fine on safari and firefox when i look at it unhosted on my drive too, it's when it is uploaded it seems to go awry.

Because different browsers use different rendering engines. No one browser is right, they all suck to be honest as none is perfect and there are fixes for each one depending on what you are doing.

Yes it is annoying, yes it is a PITA, yes it sucks that there is no standard even though the Firefox monkeys think that theirs is the standard many times :rolleyes:

I know they are different browsers and use different coding etc. I am jsut trying to get this site to work 100% or as 100% as possible and i need tips and help. I will be checking out the validator that will be great, thanks :) I just am not sure why my code is not 100% is my point becuase it's CSS and i thought all browsers use CSS the same pretty much.

any other ideas wouold be appreciated, i know it's kind of hard to give ideas since you don't have the code, and i wouldn't really expect you to look through my pages of code haha. But yea, any help is appreciated :D

Yes, they do all use CSS, but they interpret it differently for somethings.

Its kinda like how we all speak english, but there are dialects within the US that make some things hard to understand or not come through properly.

I checked it out in Opera, Firefox, Safari and IE. The only problem I see is that part of the text in the body's background pic is cut off by the iframe in Opera. That looks like a result of different default stylesheet values for br.

Specifying br {line-height: 15.6px} should fix that. Not sure about IE though.

The br elements and the iframe should go inside body (they end up being parsed into the body anyway).

But, I don't see the other problems mentioned.

Maybe i fixed them bya ccident previously... but in safari and IE it seems when you click photots or fimols then click one of the pictures (like love never fails under films) in different browsers the arrows won't be in the same places that let you go from picture to picture...

You can use this website to check how it looks in different browsers: http://browsershots.org/

game.jpg

unless you get extremely specific about resizing the images to specific width and height values, on every usage of them, they will get mangled. also you need to specify exactly in pixels each image's start height and left position.

it takes this level of a pain to get it to look right in ie, firefox, and opera. can't say much about safari as I never try to code a site to worry about safari. the percentage of people using it is far too low to mess around trying to get something to work in it as well. just including opera means an extra headache sometimes.

Back