Why do you think PC games got away with fixated user interfaces?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
In the 80s and 90s you had these User interfaces that displayed health your chapters faces and other stuff like in Doom and Dungeon crawlers now you have menus that pop up with key presses instead that can vanish if you press it again. It might if been done for immersion or pop up menus just took over for fixed UI.

I'm thinking maybe with 3D graphics user interfaces just vanished for a while but you have a clicker recently like BG3 which has a really complex UI.

i would think the UI is just tailored to what the game needs? I believe in many of the older games the ui could be minimized to just a couple numbers on screen or even expanded to shrink the active area (as a means of reducing processing power needed to play).

I think too early games werent able or trying to make you feel like you were actually there and doing that, but as games evolved as you said the immersion becomes a greater focus.

There was something charming about the interface taking up 2/3 of the screen in classic Everquest and other RPGs.

Back