Why do ppl buy OCZ crap?

BurntToast

2[H]4U
With all the crap that they have pulled why haven't the hardware sites boycotted them and why do users still support them?

My guess is that hardware sites like the free swag and ram is easy to benchmark, and that users just don't really care just as long as someone has a "Fast and Furious" sounding name and look to their product.

they are "reputable" now. ill still never buy from them though

Marketing techniques have a lot to do with reeling in the masses to a webstore. They seem to be quite good at it even when their overall rating at Resellerratings is only a 5.5, which instills no great sense of reliability or customer satisfaction to me. The more informed you are in what components you are buying, the more you check up on the places you purchase from.

Caveat emptor! ;)

OCZ has pissed off a lot of people...I think they've had a change of leadership or something so that they're more "reputable" now. I still wouldn't use ram from them even if it was free.

they seem to have been good - then bad - now back to good.

I bought some of the 1st OCZ ram eons ago - it was rated to run 160mhz cas 2 at a time when such speeds were close to unheard of...and it would do it.

thereafter, I switched thru some different brands and decided to give OCZ another shot with their PC3500 ELDC. It runs 230mhz+ in my nf7 with tight timings so I cannot bitch about it.

they are not the first computer company to go thru a shady phase nor will they be the last.

I've never bought OCZ but I don't know why everyone is saying they're crap.. can you give me some examples and stories about them?

Originally posted by Darkstar559
I've never bought OCZ but I don't know why everyone is saying they're crap.. can you give me some examples and stories about them?

OCZ used to buy the cheapest fuckin ram in the world. Frys bargain ram for example. Slap a "Guaranteed at XXXMHz Cas 2" sticker on it and ship it out to customers without even testing the dam ram. Then when people would return the ram saying it was junk. You then had about a 9/10 chance of getting your money back. More often then not they would ship you out a different stick of the same crap.

I for one can't let something like that go. I don't care how good they are. Plus I'd rather buy from Mushkin, Corsair, Samsung... the ppl that make the chips... or at least are a little more involved then just testing ram and selling it. A couple years back hardware sites should have had the balls to run an anti COZ campaign, but since hardware sites would phrase any hardware for a buck... OCZ lives. and shit... I and others so thought that they where finished.

Oh well... cs gets revived by n00bs, why not ram. *shrug*

I used to have Corsair, but right now I have buffalo, and it is running fine and above spec!

I have two sticks of Buffalo PC 2700 Registered, two sticks of Twinmos PC 2700 non-registered, and two sticks of OCZ Performance 3200 non-registered. The sticks were all bought at about the same time. The OCZ was the cheapest off all three sets, and obviously is the fastest. I've had it at some rediculous speeds at CAS 2, and have never had any problems with it. I have run some of the old OCZ when they were under their less than scrupulous managment, and the rumor mill was correct. The sticks sucked ass. I think that the new OCZ sticks, as long as you don't get the bottom basement crap, are pretty good. The stuff isn't going to hold a candle to a set of Corsair or Mushkin, but for the money, it's not that bad.

Matt.

I've also had no problems with OCZ whatsoever, I never did get caught up in the early fiasco's however. I've used two sets of ram up till this point, and am getting ready to use another 4 sticks in my new rig - can't wait....

ocz f'd up but is back on tradk...friend of mine got messed up last time and the new owner found out...sent him 3700 EL DC 2X512 mb ram....fastest that they had at the time...just cuz he got messed up!!! it was over pc 2100 ram too!! just cuz they messed up desnt mean they still do..i had some of their ram and i messed it up(case open, dog downstairs, cup fall..etc...fillin the blanks :( ) and they rma'd it...i sent back just the chip...faxed the DC number and receipt and they send a new stick in the retail box overnight shipped...thats customer support!

Originally posted by BurntToast
OCZ used to buy the cheapest fuckin ram in the world. Frys bargain ram for example. Slap a "Guaranteed at XXXMHz Cas 2" sticker on it and ship it out to customers without even testing the dam ram. Then when people would return the ram saying it was junk. You then had about a 9/10 chance of getting your money back. More often then not they would ship you out a different stick of the same crap.

I for one can't let something like that go. I don't care how good they are. Plus I'd rather buy from Mushkin, Corsair, Samsung... the ppl that make the chips... or at least are a little more involved then just testing ram and selling it. A couple years back hardware sites should have had the balls to run an anti COZ campaign, but since hardware sites would phrase any hardware for a buck... OCZ lives. and shit... I and others so thought that they where finished.

Oh well... cs gets revived by n00bs, why not ram. *shrug*

I used to have Corsair, but right now I have buffalo, and it is running fine and above spec!
I am sorry, but I am having a hard time taking you seriously. Have you actually been personally screwed by OCZ first-hand? Or are you just repeating stories you've heard?

Yes, they had a shady past. But the nature in which you are ranting makes me think you have little to no knowledge of exactly what they did wrong. I am not claiming anything. I barely remember the scandal. I just know that they have a very nice product, and nice support to boot. Seeing this thread just hurts my head.

I bought a radeon 8500 that they hard encoded to run at 300/300 with ram sinks and it runs great!!

But that was what...1.5 years ago...??

Just more input for the thread.

I have OCZ ram. It works perfect. It's actually really high quality to some of the stuff I've used. It even gets better timings/frequency than the recommended ones set by OCZ.

This is just an ongoing battle for the people who took over OCZ to fight uphill against.

Yea. Lets Slander the OCZ name for the new owners after we've seen that under new management things have obviously changed. :rolleyes:

They were shady. Great. Those people are gone and OCZ has turned it around, so don't you think they deserve a chance?

In the fast paced world of PCs, it doesn't take long to revamp your entire line and fix problems. It takes much longer to get past some bad opinions and anti-fanboys who hate a company because they couldn't get one product to work or they got screwed once. OCZ has fixed their problems and are now selling quality RAM. I would compare them to Geil, and then put them a notch above. THey don't quite rate with Corsair or Mushkin. But I have an NF7, and it loves OCZ RAM. So I'm happy. It's good RAM, get over the nonsense.

People say that they have improved by leaps and bounds but I still don't buy their products...

The last time I bought OCZ memory it was through newegg. The DIMM worked fine on 2 motherboards, but gave a beep error on a new (at the time) Asus i845D motherboard.

Newegg said I could just return it, but the replacement might have the same SPD program. So I RMA'd it through OCZ instead. It was returned very quickly and worked fine after that.

Some people are still sore about the old OCZ that folded, leaving people with worthless warranties and a few with stranded RMAs. 99.999% of the people who complain about OCZ have never had any dealings with them and just like to jump on the bandwagon.

Back