Why did my M.2 Kingston HyperX Predator PCIe SSD Fail?

Kerolar

n00b
I recently built a high spec NCASE M1 rig with the Asus Z170I PRO GAMING motherboard running Windows 10. I installed an M.2 HyperX Predator PCIe SSD into the rear slot on the motherboard. It all worked fine and was very fast for nearly four months. The SSD has now failed with the error message INACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and Windows tried to do an automatic repair without success.

I have reported the problem to Kingston, and they suggest a do a Secure Erase and reinstall the operating system again. I also reported it to Microsoft and still had no success.

I don't want to reinstall all the software again, and so I have two questions:
  1. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?
  2. Why did it happen in the first place? Do you think it is a heat problem (please see Photo)?
I am thinking of returning it for a refund. Can anyone recommend a more reliable and perhaps faster M.2 SSD for this board?

TIA

HyperX.jpg

Why did it happen in the first place?

No matter how much you pay any storage device can fail at any time. It could just be bad luck.

Do you think it is a heat problem (please see Photo)?

No.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

For SSDs Secure Erase can fix the issue if the mapping table is corrupt.

Last edited:
1 word for you:

Evo950...
doesn't exist yet..............

the predator was the best until the 950 PRO came out but still respectable.

Also heat could be the issue. That drive ran hotter than the 950 PRO IIRC due to aggressive garbage collection which is why the drive was so fast!

I'm going to replace it with a Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD.

Any ideas how to cool the SSD in the tight space at the side of the NCASE chassis?

BTW, Crucial say the failed drive should run at 70 degrees, hum?

It doesn't look like there's much room for even a very short heatsink, much less a fan in there.

I've seen thermal pads shaped like little blocks. They're supposedly meant for cooling chips on the underside of your motherboard (attach pad to chip on mobo, pad touches mobo tray / case and conducts heat away). Might work for you if you can find the right size pad. I'm assuming the case's side panel goes right over the M.2 SSD.

It doesn't look like there's much room for even a very short heatsink, much less a fan in there.

I've seen thermal pads shaped like little blocks. They're supposedly meant for cooling chips on the underside of your motherboard (attach pad to chip on mobo, pad touches mobo tray / case and conducts heat away). Might work for you if you can find the right size pad. I'm assuming the case's side panel goes right over the M.2 SSD.
I dunno! probably not room to put a fan right over the top of the drive. but there might be enough room between the back of the mobo and the side panel. Having a couple of those fans there, moving air, should help a lot.

I dunno! probably not room to put a fan right over the top of the drive. but there might be enough room between the back of the mobo and the side panel. Having a couple of those fans there, moving air, should help a lot.
just cut a whole into the wall of the case and install your own fan on the panel....problem solved

just cut a whole into the wall of the case and install your own fan on the panel....problem solved

If heat was the problem. I am not convinced at all that heat caused the drive to die.

Also if the SecureErase works it was not a heat problem.

If heat was the problem. I am not convinced at all that heat caused the drive to die.

Also if the SecureErase works it was not a heat problem.
didn't see the secure erase working part but those drives IIRC are hotter than the 950PRO and the 950PRO has to have direct cooling.

it is also a retarded m.2 spot as well.

dont know what an Ncase is i just buy good cases and the only good case i could find was the core x7...it isn't perfect but easy to use vs anything else that exists.

I haven't done a Secure Erase because I want to know why it failed. I can't afford to waste my time rebuilding the OS and installing the software to find it fails again.
The drive failed on the hottest day of the year, in the warmest room of the house after a long gaming session. Kingston says heat is not a problem; I doubt that.
A 40x40x10mm fan from Noctua may fit in the space above the drive without touching the mbo. If I locate it over the drive, it will touch the drive (space 11.5 mm, case thickness 1.5mm) which I think may lead to other problems.
I bought the NCASE for its beauty; I don't want to spoil this by cutting up the case.
Buyer beware: rear-mounted M.2 SSD's are a design challenge for current chassis design.

dont know what an Ncase is i just buy good cases and the only good case i could find was the core x7...it isn't perfect but easy to use vs anything else that exists.
It's a case that was made on this very forum.

Just installed a replacement Samsung V-NAND SSD 950 PRO M.2. I hope I have better luck with this one.

SamsungM.2SSD.jpg

Make a backup after you install. Regardless of how much you spend all data storage devices have a chance of failing at anytime.

Thanks, any suggestions for backing up the drive? I'm using the M.2 for OS and Software. I keep data on a separate drive that's sync'd with (unlimited) Google Drive.
Are there any external drive enclosures for this specification of M.2 drive? If I can't return the Kingston I was thinking of Secure Erasing it and if it works use it as a backup device.
BTW, I've installed the Samsung Magician software to check the firmware and more.

These days I use clonezilla to make an image of the OS drive and put that image file on a spinner.

Back