Why did Microsoft remove the photo viewer from Windows?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Stupid move on their part as far as I'm concerned. I went looking for either a replacement or a way to make the old photo viewer work with Win 10 and above. I found that both were possible and settled on a free program called "Honeyview". It's basically the same as the old photo viewer and is all I need. Thank God for 3rd party software, especially if it's free. :)

isnt it just called photos now? thats the app i have on 11.

Haven't looked at 11 but Win 10 photos doesn't have buttons to move backwards and forwards through your picture collection, using the arrows keys is too clutsy. I'd rather do everything with the mouse.
Server 2022 paint doesn't even have a way to move from one picture to another except to close the picture and then doubleclick on the next. This is totally unacceptable.

Honeyview is actually better than picture viewer, it opens instantly. it's a neat little program. But as always, to each his own.

Honeyview.PNG

Drag-left/drag-right doesn't work with the mouse? I figure they probably switched from buttons to gestures, since they're focusing on mobile interfaces more.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with that, since I hardly use my PC for photos/video anyway, aside from streaming (which is also rare). I hate gesture controls, even on mobile.

Drag-left/drag-right doesn't work with the mouse? I figure they probably switched from buttons to gestures, since they're focusing on mobile interfaces more.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with that, since I hardly use my PC for photos/video anyway, aside from streaming (which is also rare). I hate gesture controls, even on mobile.

Same here. I do a lot with photos so the picture viewer is important to me but I use other programs for photo editing.

Haven't looked at 11 but Win 10 photos doesn't have buttons to move backwards and forwards through your picture collection, using the arrows keys is too clutsy. I'd rather do everything with the mouse.
Server 2022 paint doesn't even have a way to move from one picture to another except to close the picture and then doubleclick on the next. This is totally unacceptable.

Honeyview is actually better than picture viewer, it opens instantly. it's a neat little program. But as always, to each his own.
you hover over the pic and the left/right buttons should show up over the image, at lease thats how mine works.
never did. it now has tabs though.
ok and yup. but why start this thread if you just changed to a different app, to complain but not seek a solution?

I am still using ACDSee v2.4 from back in the 90's,

1701211136556.png

Back