Why are reference coolers almost always blowers, while non-refs are non-blowers?

HFBallad

Gawd
Well, besides the ICE, I don't think I've seen a blower type non-reference cooler.

Just a random thought I had when reading about cleaning the GPU topic on another forum. It dawned on me that the blower type won't suffer (as much) from dust build up on the fan (unless I'm horribly mistaken) since it's more covered inside the case. And this made me wonder why it wasn't a very popular style for non-ref. Which then made me wonder why refs use this style almost exclusively if the style is very unpopular among non-refs..

A lots of wondering, I know.

Last edited:
it's the cheapest and most efficient at getting heat off the video card and out of the case.

Sure -- aftermarket non reference stuff are way more quiet and better performing (but if Johnny know nothing throw the card in his PC and doesn't have at least a few 120's pushing some air in and out, he's going to get throttled down or crash very quickly. Blower style (in my experience) doesn't suffer as much from dust problems either.

reference designs are meant to get a working product to as many people as cheap as possible with as few possibilities for heat issues. Personally I love the blower style it's the most efficient for getting heat piped directly out of the case. Alternative is to hope I have room for 3 or 4 fans in strategic places.

Agreed. Blowers are much better, especially when you have multiple GPUs. The non-blowers just end up baking all other components of your computer, from the CPU to the VRM and capacitors, and of course each GPU above the lower GPU.

Blowers work in any and all form factors. Open air cards do not work in super small form factors, generally speaking - with this being the case, reference design will generally be a blower. The only exception i'm aware of was the 7990, and because it is open air it doesn't really work that well in quad cfx mode. It also doesn't work in SSF/MITX cases.

So that's the abridged version of why reference coolers are blowers. They always work with anything. Open air only works in large, well ventilated cases such as full ATX or EATX, on average.

For the few of us that rock open-air cases, blowers are the lesser option. Partner cards with non-blowers are better in every way, except getting air out of a confined area (such as a case).

As for why OEMs don't make non-blowers I think it's because of the several factors which others mentioned already. Most people use cases so getting heat out is very important. Cheaper to make and easier to diagnose if problems arise (another huge point for OEMs).

Agreed. Blowers are much better, especially when you have multiple GPUs. The non-blowers just end up baking all other components of your computer, from the CPU to the VRM and capacitors, and of course each GPU above the lower GPU.

Out of sheer broke status, I happened to get one GPU (top) that's non-blower and the one below it as a blower and it seems to be the middle ground between running two non-reference side by side or two blowers side by side.

Not sure how it applies to every variation of models, but I'm quite pleased.

Is there any hard evidence for this, or is it even noticeable? Different cards, but I went from a GTX 260 OC, 560ti reference to a GTX670 PE/OC and the temps of my CPU (stock AMD 965) did not change. Same for my HDD.

Most components don't get hot, aside from the CPU/GPU and possibly HDDs if you have a bunch of them stacked up. To prevent this, IMO, get a quality cooler on the CPU/GPU and make sure you have good airflow for the HDDs.

And honestly, unless you are OCing, the standard coolers on GPUs and CPUs are fine. You only upgrade to bring the noise down. I'll never go back to a single loud fan, IMO. If it means my RAM or DVD drive raise 1 degree, then so be it. :p

It's the ATX standard. Blower style coolers assist in the front-to-back exhaust specified by the ATX standard.

I dont know why they barely make aftermarket cards with blowers :( I would assume most people willing to run multi card setups want the enhanced components and PCB's. I KNOW I DO!!!!

Its possible, but it costs more than they want it to. Just like stock cpu coolers, generally the coolers on reference cards are just good enough. Its also why I am happy to wait for board partners to put on their own premium coolers, or pay a little extra. Its worth it for me for the accoustics and performance.

EVGA makes blower and non-blower coolers for their cards. I have a 770 with non-blower and it works pretty well, but I wanna add a second card so I'm sure the temps will be higher.

Idk how good the EVGA blower card's temps are compared to their non-blower counterparts.

EVGA hasn't made blower coolers with the 700 series. They may have carried over the 770 classified which is basically the 680 classified, but they're pretty much done with in house designed blowers. Open air simply allows more OC headroom and what not, and Nvidia's reference blower is so good that EVGA probably doesn't want to make an attempt at improving on something that good.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the information.

So blowers are cheaper and better for the entire PC temp overall, but non-blowers are better for the card temp itself and overclocking.

I guess, if getting a non-ref, one should also plan on picking up a few fans for the system.

I would rather have blower style cards even if its not reference.

Thats why I liked how the 770 from EVGA offered a Titan Style blower with a 770. It cost more (shocking I know), but I honestly liked it more then the ACX coolers from Evga.

I would rather have the hot air blown right out the back then inside my case.

EVGA hasn't made blower coolers with the 700 series. They may have carried over the 770 classified which is basically the 680 classified, but they're pretty much done with in house designed blowers. Open air simply allows more OC headroom and what not, and Nvidia's reference blower is so good that EVGA probably doesn't want to make an attempt at improving on something that good.

You are wrong, EVGA made 770's with the Titan blower cooler on them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130939

You are wrong, EVGA made 770's with the Titan blower cooler on them.

You misunderstand. The Titan cooler is made by nvidia. Not by EVGA. I'm well aware of the 770 with titan blower, but the cooler itself is not made by EVGA - they buy it BOM from nvidia. That's what the topic is discussing.

I'm specifically speaking of in house designed blower coolers, which are for the most part history now. EVGA used to make them, not anymore though.

You misunderstand. The Titan cooler is made by nvidia. Not by EVGA. I'm well aware of the 770 with titan blower, but the cooler itself is not made by EVGA - they buy it BOM from nvidia. That's what the topic is discussing.

True, but no other company is making Titan style coolers on the 770. Sure Nvidia makes the cooler, but EVGA is the only company thats selling them with a 770. And everyone knows the Titan cooler it top notch (take a hint AMD).

True, but no other company is making Titan style coolers on the 770. Sure Nvidia makes the cooler, but EVGA is the only company thats selling them with a 770. And everyone knows the Titan cooler it top notch (take a hint AMD).

Again, the topic is discussing in house designed non reference blower coolers. The topic pertains to blower type NON REFERENCE coolers. That doesn't include the Titan cooler which an nvidia reference design, EVGA buys it from nvidia and adds the BOM cost to their 770 (which is way too fucking expensive, by the way). You're literally talking about something that the topic isn't discussing.....

Besides which, I doubt any AIB manufacturer could make something better than the Titan shroud. So they don't bother. EVGA used to exclusively sell blower type cards for their classified line up to the GTX 680, but I cant' see them doing that any longer. One - the Titan shroud is really good. Two - aftermarket open air cooled cards are better for overclocking than even the best blowers.

Again, the topic is discussing in house designed blower coolers. Please read what I typed. The topic pertains to blower type NON REFERENCE coolers. That doesn't include the Titan cooler which an nvidia reference design, EVGA buys it from nvidia and adds the BOM cost to their 770 (which is way too fucking expensive, by the way). You're literally talking about something that the topic isn't discussing.....

Wait a minute, how is it 770 titan cooler considered reference when it was never available to buy until EVGA Released it?

there was no 770 reference cooler?....

Back