Why am I being prompted for user/pass when mapping a drive?

Patrick G

Limp Gawd
Whenever I try to map a network drive (or add a shared printer) on my wife's laptop, I'm being prompted for a username/password, but I have no idea what it's wanting here. I don't remember ever being prompted for a user/pass on our home laptop.

Here are the details:

This is our wireless home network consisting of a Linksys router, Vista Ultimate Laptop, a D-Link DNS-323 Networked Storage Drive, and an HP Wireless printer. I basically have the DNS-323 mapped as drive letter E: (\\DNS323) on our home laptop. Whenever I try to map that same drive on my wife's XP work laptop (while connected to our home network), it keeps prompting me for username/password to do it. It does this when I try to add our shared network printer to her laptop as well. I've tried every combination I can think of of usernames/passwords, including my Windows u/p, her Windows u/p, the u/p to log into the web-based config utility on the DNS-323 -- nothing works. I can access the web-based utilities for both the DNS-323 and the printer on my wife's laptop. I just can't get the drive mapped or the printer added due to this user/pass issue. Any ideas?

if your using her "work laptop" it is because her laptop is probably part of a domain that is different than your home network and therefore the shares you are lookign at require authentication. I dont think there is any way around that. Maybe someone else will respond with a work around.

This depends upon what they have set up at work. Assuming they're running a domain, the log-in will be:

User Name: [domain]\[username]
Password: [password]

notice the '\' in between the name of their domain and their username. I won't use my company's login, but instead I'll use google as an example. As a user Vette on the google domain, I would use:

google\Vette
password

If they don't have a domain, then replace the domain name with the name of the computer, for example:

Vette-PC\Vette
password

EDIT: I just reread your post, you're connecting the work PC to a home PC's share (I thought the other way around), so you need it the other way around:

Home-PC\User
password

and the user will be a user on the home PC that has permission to use the share

EDIT: I just reread your post, you're connecting the work PC to a home PC's share (I thought the other way around), so you need it the other way around:

Home-PC\User
password

and the user will be a user on the home PC that has permission to use the share
So, if my home laptop is named "Inspiron-E1505" and my user name is John Doe, I should be able to use (on her PC to map the drive) "Inspiron-E1505\John Doe", along with the password I use to log into my machine? If so, I've tried that and it doesn't work.

Did you set these shares up as administrator? Don't forget, Vista doesn't really have a local administrator account (by default). If the Vista machine is off the domain and you are logging in, you are using a local machine account (Inspiron-XXX\user). Check the workgroup for that local account...and make sure its the same as the one hosting the share (example, WORKGROUP or MSHOME)

Did you set these shares up as administrator? Don't forget, Vista doesn't really have a local administrator account (by default). If the Vista machine is off the domain and you are logging in, you are using a local machine account (Inspiron-XXX\user). Check the workgroup for that local account...and make sure its the same as the one hosting the share (example, WORKGROUP or MSHOME)
Would you mind clarifying this for my dumb ass. I set up the shares under Vista (on our home PC) using my user, which has administrative rights. What do you mean by "if the Vista machine is off the domain and you are logging in"? Do you mean if our home Vista PC is turned off and I am logging in to my wife's XP machine? Not quite sure what you're saying there.

Whenever I map to my DNS323, I have to always enter the DNS323name\user account and then the password.

my 323 is called NAS, so I have to map the drive as \\NAS\Volume_1 and the username is NAS\DoeJ and the password is password

*note I have found the username and password is case sensitive, whereas most systems the username can be all lowercase / uppercase and still work

For the hp drivers, Im guessing her work laptop is looking for an administrative id and pw to install the drivers....

Whenever I try to map a network drive (or add a shared printer) on my wife's laptop, I'm being prompted for a username/password, but I have no idea what it's wanting here. I don't remember ever being prompted for a user/pass on our home laptop.

Here are the details:

This is our wireless home network consisting of a Linksys router, Vista Ultimate Laptop, a D-Link DNS-323 Networked Storage Drive, and an HP Wireless printer. I basically have the DNS-323 mapped as drive letter E: (\\DNS323) on our home laptop. Whenever I try to map that same drive on my wife's XP work laptop (while connected to our home network), it keeps prompting me for username/password to do it. It does this when I try to add our shared network printer to her laptop as well. I've tried every combination I can think of of usernames/passwords, including my Windows u/p, her Windows u/p, the u/p to log into the web-based config utility on the DNS-323 -- nothing works. I can access the web-based utilities for both the DNS-323 and the printer on my wife's laptop. I just can't get the drive mapped or the printer added due to this user/pass issue. Any ideas?

If you log in locally to the computer, but are part of a domain, then your network password has expired and needs to be reset to reflect that of what your local computer password is. Have you ever been able to map drives?

[BB] Rick James;1030987498 said:
If you log in locally to the computer, but are part of a domain, then your network password has expired and needs to be reset to reflect that of what your local computer password is. Have you ever been able to map drives?
Which computer? The guest computer (my wife's) or the home computer? When she logs in locally, she's part of a domain (her work domain). I mapped her work network drives on her PC, but this is the first time I've tried mapping drives on our home network.

Which computer? The guest computer (my wife's) or the home computer? When she logs in locally, she's part of a domain (her work domain). I mapped her work network drives on her PC, but this is the first time I've tried mapping drives on our home network.

Are you VPN'ing into the company when trying to map the drives?

domain mode..get a domain admin name and password

put that computer in workgroup mode and see if it will work then...of course you will need a domain admin to approve that

I re-read your initial request and what I gather is that you are having problems connecting to your wife's work network computer to your home network. If your wife's computer is part of a windows domain, you will always need to supply a password for the share because your home network is probably part of a workgroup.

The workgroup name, for example WORKGROUP or MSHOME are the usual defaults needs to be the same and the accounts added to the shares. You can try adding the computer account of your wife's machine to the network storage share and the shared printer.

For instance, in the web access piece to your storage device, under users, you would need to add MACHINE-NAME\user to the share. If your wifes computer name is WINXP-LAP for example, and her user name for the machine is Judy, you would need to put WINXP-LAP\Judy to the security access. This would be the same for the printer. If the printer has a web access interface you would do the same, if its shared from your router or your Vista laptop you would add that account there.

Without knowing more about the set up of your wife's computer though, we are sorta peeing in the wind. Does she even have local administrative access or is she limited by her IT department. Need more information...

here is an easier way... just add her username to the computer where the printer is located.

Back