Who's ready for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Miller

Limp Gawd
I went and reserved a copy at my local GameStop yesterday. The guy at the counter told my friend to come back Wednesday because Tuesday is the shipping date, but we're checking Tuesday anyway...when is it supposed to actually be in stores?

Regardless, who else is looking forward to the game?

Why waste time with pre-orders or reserving a copy.... do you really think that this game is going to be sold out? I will probably pick it up in like a month or 2... I have sooo many games that I need to beat :( Still trying to beat Zelda TP, MotorStorm, Resistance, Ridge Racer 7, ... PC games that I have bought but havent even installed yet... Quake 4 and GTA San Andreas.... Only if there was more time in a day. :p

I don't think the game will be sold out, but as long as the money gets paid either way, I figured I'd just do it early.

I'm in dire need of a new game to play. Here's hoping S.T.A.L.K.E.R. keeps me entertained for a long while.

Darn, I totally forgot about this game! Should be a great game to test out my new Core 2 and X1950Pro system. :D Should I expect Frys/Bestbuy to have it on Tuesday, or Wednesday?

It's one I'm definitely excited for, but chances are I'll wait a bit to see how it tides and read reviews on it before I actually buy it.

If you already own the game, like I do, and already broke your copy somehow, you can download a replacement from a torrent website, someone who owns the game uploaded it today and it's all over.

If you already own the game, like I do, and already broke your copy somehow, you can download a replacement from a torrent website, someone who owns the game uploaded it today and it's all over.

It's probably best to keep that sort of stuff to yourself. That's basically an ad for "GO DL NOW", whether you tried to or not.

It's probably best to keep that sort of stuff to yourself. That's basically an ad for "GO DL NOW", whether you tried to or not.

Which is why I didn't link to anything. Just helping the people who don't know.

Been playing this a bit today, it's actually very good, I thought It was going to be a big dissapointment due to the wait but so far it's been good.

Reminds me a lot of Fallout 2 actually, it sort of feels like a post apocalyptic world, only within that certain zone. It's kinda confusing to start with though, you don't know who you are or why you're there or what the hell any of the artifacts are or what they do or who to even speak to.

Also it runs quite well, it's a bit shy of the visuals in Oblivion but it does seem to have an impressive array of meshes to populate the world with, and the outdoors grass and other vegetation looks respectable, the dynamic weather is also good.

I think i'll have fun playing this one.

*edit*

Just in case you're wondering, this runs quite well on Vista, and the beta 101.41 drivers for Nvidia support SLI with the 7950GX2, I did notice some slow down in areas which seemed artificial some how as most of the areas run great.

I'm in 1680 1050, with what appears to be 2xAA and max AF, all other settings max.

Wow, I didn't know it came out this early. Guess I'll be picking it up Wednesday as well... the same date my video card gets back from RMA, and another gig comes from Newegg. Coincidence? I think not. :D

Been playing this a bit today, it's actually very good, I thought It was going to be a big dissapointment due to the wait but so far it's been good.

Reminds me a lot of Fallout 2 actually, it sort of feels like a post apocalyptic world, only within that certain zone. It's kinda confusing to start with though, you don't know who you are or why you're there or what the hell any of the artifacts are or what they do or who to even speak to.

Also it runs quite well, it's a bit shy of the visuals in Oblivion but it does seem to have an impressive array of meshes to populate the world with, and the outdoors grass and other vegetation looks respectable, the dynamic weather is also good.

I think i'll have fun playing this one.

*edit*

Just in case you're wondering, this runs quite well on Vista, and the beta 101.41 drivers for Nvidia support SLI with the 7950GX2, I did notice some slow down in areas which seemed artificial some how as most of the areas run great.

I'm in 1680 1050, with what appears to be 2xAA and max AF, all other settings max.
Umm, well you have a pretty beefy system so it doesn't say much. I just hope it will run well on all high for me just without any AA/AF and dynamic lightning

I am defiantly gonna wait few days to see what people have to say about it. If its good, i will spend my money, if not, i will spend my internet hours just to give it a try anyway.

Anyone have a official demo date? I only play SP mode in games but would like to try this game out since its been put down as a RPG instead of FPS which all the screenies look like so i dunno if this game is really for me since i can't stay interested in traditional RPG/RTS.

Also tuesday i should be getting my 2nd 7800GT for SLI, ohhhhh yeah!

im totally excited. I looked at the bestbuy ad today in the paper and it said available after 2pm wednesday. I'm certainly going out there after work. :D

I've been waiting for this game for years. I just hope it's not the disappointment that Unreal 2 turned out to be, which is another game I was eagerly awaiting for a long time.

Stalker turned out to be pretty good so far. I've played for about 2 hours and completed 3 missions so far. Graphics-wise, it's good enough for me. Gameplay-wise, it kind of feels like Boiling Point but better executed and smoother. The story angle is similar to Oblivion--you have a main quest + hundreds of optional side quests. The main quest seems pretty interesting so far.

To my surprise, my PC is able to run the game at 1280x1024 very well with in-game AA and AF and with all in-game settings maxed out except for Shadow Quality and Lighting Distance (one notch down from max). The game engine is pretty stable and the FPS doesn't fluctuate up and down like it did in Gothic 3.

-optimummind

Umm, well you have a pretty beefy system so it doesn't say much. I just hope it will run well on all high for me just without any AA/AF and dynamic lightning

Also I forgot to mention that I have all the optimisations turned off in the Nivida control panel which adds a fair bit of overhead to the standard setup (but increases IQ), the slider bar for AA was on the first notch over from the left and the AF bar was on the last notch, which I'm assuming means 2xaa and 16xaf

I only managed to get about 2 hours of play in last night, did a few side missions, got some gear together.

It's nice that there's a choice of going in guns blazing or trying to be stealthy, I'm usualy pretty pro at stealth but I failed the first mission when I alerted a guard, still you find a silenced pistol early on and the knife aint half bad.

I was a bit irritated at the number of bullets people took to kill, roughly 3-5 from a pistol, although it's the weakest in the game I kind of expected slightly more realism.

Will report back tonight when I get home from work and get to play it some more, I will tweak settings in the control panel so I know exactly what I'm running and let you guys know how it runs. (bare in mind I'm on Vista with beta drivers of course :) )

I looking forward to it. More so than any other game in quite a while now. I hope I can find a good sale!

Also I forgot to mention that I have all the optimisations turned off in the Nivida control panel which adds a fair bit of overhead to the standard setup (but increases IQ), the slider bar for AA was on the first notch over from the left and the AF bar was on the last notch, which I'm assuming means 2xaa and 16xaf

I only managed to get about 2 hours of play in last night, did a few side missions, got some gear together.

It's nice that there's a choice of going in guns blazing or trying to be stealthy, I'm usualy pretty pro at stealth but I failed the first mission when I alerted a guard, still you find a silenced pistol early on and the knife aint half bad.

I was a bit irritated at the number of bullets people took to kill, roughly 3-5 from a pistol, although it's the weakest in the game I kind of expected slightly more realism.

Will report back tonight when I get home from work and get to play it some more, I will tweak settings in the control panel so I know exactly what I'm running and let you guys know how it runs. (bare in mind I'm on Vista with beta drivers of course :) )

Which drivers/video card you using in vista? When I got in the game all I saw was the sky and world was a white haze. 8800gtx/101.41 drivers

I did enjoy the island setting of FarCry.
But i hate these dirty apocalyptic scenarios.

So i am definately not ready for Stalker. :eek:

Well, I just got about an hour and change in and I like it so far.
Reminds me of Fallout, as someone else stated, and Oblivion a bit, because you can do tasks/missions for other people, loot dead bodies and sell the wares (and its not all tied to the main storyline).

My only complaints at the moment are that the character models seem to be a little on the crappy side (as they always have been to me in the videos and such), and that the ironsights for the pistol are awful. I've aimed it at the back of an enemy's head, popped one off and have it miss somehow.

Grr!!
I need a sniper rifle so I can take everyone out from afar... lol

Well, I just got about an hour and change in and I like it so far.
Reminds me of Fallout, as someone else stated, and Oblivion a bit, because you can do tasks/missions for other people, loot dead bodies and sell the wares (and its not all tied to the main storyline).

My only complaints at the moment are that the character models seem to be a little on the crappy side (as they always have been to me in the videos and such), and that the ironsights for the pistol are awful. I've aimed it at the back of an enemy's head, popped one off and have it miss somehow.

Grr!!
I need a sniper rifle so I can take everyone out from afar... lol

Where did you get it?

Early weapons are quite ineffective. Once you get the shotgun or the m4, they go down pretty easy if you aim for the head. The military guys have good armor.

Would you guys recomend playing in Vista? Correct me if Im wrong, but this IS a direct x 10 game right??

Would you guys recomend playing in Vista? Correct me if Im wrong, but this IS a direct x 10 game right??

It is not a DX10 game. I'm going to play it in Vista, so I will post my experience here, and in Nasty_Savage's stickied Vista gaming thread.

Back