Who here still loves Windows 2000?

huxley

Pleeze Maik Mee STFU!!
I still love Windows 2000 for its stability and low use of resources. When it originally came out it was such a fantastic product compared to NT 4.0. I find the nicest thing is that it doesnt include all the little pretty tweaks of XP. Conversely I find that as its downfall when using it on a home machine...I like pretty things :(

I swear by my 2000 PC at work. For some reason some of the development work I do just doesn't seem to like my XP box. The 2000 PC just hums along without so much as a problem.

I'm still running it at home, I'd load XP, but this bitch will NOT die! :cool:

huxley said:
I still love Windows 2000 for its stability and low use of resources. When it originally came out it was such a fantastic product compared to NT 4.0. I find the nicest thing is that it doesnt include all the little pretty tweaks of XP. Conversely I find that as its downfall when using it on a home machine...I like pretty things :(

haha, took the words from my mouth. I like the sparseness of Win2k, but after working on a mac all day, I need some eye-candy. And windowblinds takes up too much resources to be something I'd want to use all the time.

If win2k was skinnable, I'd love it so much more.

Phoenix86 said:
I'm still running it at home, I'd load XP, but this bitch will NOT die! :cool:

Grab yourself a free AOL CD and load it. You'll be reformatting by the end of the weekend.

huxley said:

Just get window blindes If you want to make it pretty. :cool:

i ran windows 2000 for a very long time but when i upgraded to xp pro my pcmark04 score increased by 1000

1 XP pro box... and 5 2k boxen :D

I like it about 5 times better. mostly as I can get legal copies for MUCH cheaper than XP Pro (networked world that it is) and thus save $$ on system costs.

next boxen is going 100% linux though... gotta make the jump sometime.

I still reckon 2k has just as much functionality as XP ever could. XP is, after all, just a prettier, more memory hogging version of 2k anyway. If you know how to prevent adware and viruses yourself then 2k is a far better choice as it just seems cleaner and faster overall.

That said, i still reckon 98SE is pretty good, not quite as good as 2k but it has its moments. Only real reason i like it is cause you can change its perception of the system clock to make applications run faster. Good old, ChangeSpeed, best program ever made lol.

XP has some interesting features I wouldn't mind seeing appear in Win2k, but in general I still like Win2k more, including the fact that you can still install Win2k on a 1 GB partition :p

Nasty_Savage said:
Still my main game box
What the crap? I think W2K is great, but it's terrible for games. So many games don't work on it. I would use it if I could get my older games to run on it properly without having to pull teeth.

slowbiz said:
What the crap? I think W2K is great, but it's terrible for games. So many games don't work on it. I would use it if I could get my older games to run on it properly without having to pull teeth.

It really doesn't make sense to run 2000 as a gaming platform, unless XP is deemed too expensive. That's the only excuse I can come up with. Many of my EA Sports games have trouble on 2000.

But furthermore, it's just a matter of plain and simple common sense. What is the primary OS that current games and hardware are designed for? XP. 2000 was never intended for gaming, where as XP has become the standard platform.

Windows XP Pro is just a better updated version of 2k... sooo....

2k was good...

But XP is better....

I guess I never really had any problems with it, and I didn't see the need to switch. I'll probably upgrade my box to XP after I get the A64 though...but I've had zero problems with games on Win2k since SP 2. :cool:

i find XP to do DVD ripping and large network transfers (gigabit) faster then my win 2k box.. Both machines are the same, 1Ghz dell boxes.

slowbiz said:
What the crap? I think W2K is great, but it's terrible for games.

The only thing terrible about that is your description, and it's incredibly inaccurate. Some *older* games won't run on 2K, otherwise it's just fine as a gaming platform. As I have mentioned before *newer* games experience issues on XP that doesn't affect 2K and vice versa.

Each OS has it's +s and -s, especially in gaming.

Just so you know my primary rig is 2K and I have never had a problem with it, or I would be running XP. I have had that system running on the same load for several years, I think I'm over 3 on that load...

i still love 2k... but i like XP SP2 more

it just feels faster, and its proved to be less crash prone on my machine... i have no freaking idea why...

I hung on to 2k Pro for the longest time on all my comps. I switched to XP about a year ago.

My whole company runs on 2k Pro. for the desktops.

argh, i jinxed myself! my win2k rig locked up during a game of Frozen Throne, and now I'm blue screening all over the place! :eek: :( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

i <3 me some win2k. it's the best OS i've used. i hate xp for all it's frilliness.

I put 2k on machines that are a little slower, it runs much better than XP with 128-256 MB RAM.

Back