Who here is a long time mac user? Tech question inside

-=jaz=-

Gawd
Ok so this is an odd question but maybe some old-skool mac tech can answer it. I've been reading up on Apple's ADB cnnector system that they used to use for keyboard and mice before the invention of usb. So far i've found that these ADB connector are phyiscally identical to normal s-video cables we use for tv's, games, computers, etc. I was wondering that since they are physically identical to them would using an s-video connector to simulate an ADB connector work? I'm not trying to control a mouse or keyboard but rather an old set of speakers i've been working on repairing.

These speakers are old microsoft ones (imagine that :rolleyes: ) that use an ADB connector to connect the right speaker to the sub (right speaker controls volume, sub volume, and mute) and i'm trying to fix them so i can use the controls again (as it is, the speakers work fine but i can't control them unless i use the windows volume control) I realize that this is a far out there question but i thought i'd ask. Thanks!

I remember that connector on my old macs. I cant quite remember if it was identical to an s-video or not, but im sure it wouldnt hurt to try it.

Same connector, different cable. Shouldn't hurt to try since there's not a juice going through it.

i doubt it would work but who knows, maybe you could splice together your own cord?

as far as i can figgure, what you're describing will work fine, as long as the pins are in the right places (or rather the wires don't switch pins from one end to another). if you want, i believe i have a rather long ADB cable somewhere in my house. don't quote me on that <edit> yet </edit>, but if you want it and are willing to pay shipping, give me a PM... :)

I have one of those apple supplied s-video to composite adapters and the s-video side wont fit on any of the old serial style ports on my old Macs here at work. The modem and printer port pin & slot configuration is way off. The serial port looks like the best match but it is missing the three center pin holes that would match up to the adapter I have here. If your s-video cable just has the 2 outter pins on each side then you are in luck and I say give it a shot, but you may find it is slightly different upon closer examination.

i have never heard of speakers run off of the ADB port, only mouse and kb, but you are right. ADB and Svid of the 4 pin variety are the same port.

I found an old Macintosh at the dump a long while ago, and the only thing missing was the keyboard cable so I when I realized it looked like S-Video... I used one. And it worked.

It's a little strange looking though :)

Hmmm... Is there a way to get an ADB keyboard to work in, say, a PC without an ADB port (duh) and without a >USB converter? I have a lovely old Apple Extended II, but I can't use it...

yeah i plan on splicing together my own cable, just checking things out first. i was surprised too to see that microsoft used an adb cable on their speakers as well. ihopefully i can try it out tonight but if not, tommorow

OK, $10,000 answer: yes, a normal S-Video cable WILL work in place of an ADB cable. I know this, cause back in the day, I had a Quadra 700, and I ran the keboard off of a 20' S-Video cable. (Nothing like the good ole' days of playing Sim-Ant with your feet propped up on the couch and the monitor over on the desk.Don't ask me how I saw that far with only a 15" monitor.)

I do not know what the physical limit is for cable length to achieve a stable signal, but I used 20' for over a year.

P.S. FYI, a 6' ADB extension works great in a pinch for an S-Video replacement as well. I had to use one once until the Circut City opened up hte next day. :D

awesome ProphetSix, thanks for the answer. i'll have pics when i'm done with it, hoping i can get it to work so i can stop using my ibooks speakers hehe

on other apple adapter related notes, didn't Nintendo license firewire for their older gameboy pockets/colors as they way to connect your gameboys together?

quick update, i still am working on the speakers, tried the s-video trick bit it's missing one wire so i now i have to go see if i can get an old apple mouse or keyboard to hack up. anyone got one lying around they could sell me? :)

Hey Jaz,

We have some here at work my boss may be willing to part with. If I can get him to say yes how much is it worth to you? I can ship UPS from 91301.

well considering how old they are i wasn't looking at paying a few a whole lot :)
zip code to ship to is 14830 and i suppose i could throw in a few bucks if shipping isn't too much. oh and are we talking keyboards or mice? (i'd prefer mice because they are smaller and lighter to send) let me know, thanks!

ProphetSix said:
OK, $10,000 answer: yes, a normal S-Video cable WILL work in place of an ADB cable. I know this, cause back in the day, I had a Quadra 700, and I ran the keboard off of a 20' S-Video cable. (Nothing like the good ole' days of playing Sim-Ant with your feet propped up on the couch and the monitor over on the desk.Don't ask me how I saw that far with only a 15" monitor.)

I do not know what the physical limit is for cable length to achieve a stable signal, but I used 20' for over a year.

P.S. FYI, a 6' ADB extension works great in a pinch for an S-Video replacement as well. I had to use one once until the Circut City opened up hte next day. :D

Yeah, I did that too. S-video extension cables were like 1/4 the price of ADB extensions the same length. Worked great :)

How's $15 for a mouse shipped? Also I can send you a pic of the connector to make sure it's is exactly what you need, I don't wanna sell you something that isnt gonna fix the problem :)

Back