Which would you rather have? 2.5 ghz Barton or slower A64?

neoreturns

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have the option of upgrading for a very small amount of money right now. My current system specs:

Epox 8RDA+
Mobile 2400+ @ 2.5 Ghz (12.5x200)
SLK-900u w/ 53 cfm fan

that I could sell locally to a friend.

keeping my RAM which is: Hynix D43, 2x512; stable as high as 245 mhz 2.5-3-3-7

And I just saw that AMD dropped the prices on socket 754 stuff. And I would more than likely get either a A64 2800+ ($155 ) or 3000+ ($175) from newegg and a Chaintech board for $65.

Basically my upgrade path would be around $50, for a combo that comes with a stock HS/F (both processors are retail) so they would more than likely be running at stock speed as I haven't read anything stellar as far as overclocking goes.

Do you guys think its worth it? Would performance in legacy 32 bit be better or worse than my current system? Links to benchmarks would be greatly appreciated.

Mainly for gaming only, occasional xvid encoding (but I dont care too much about speed there as I do those at night)

So which were you saying yes to? AXP or A64?

i would get the nforce3 250 version of that chaintech.

I"m not sure you should bother to upgrade that rig looks like it's doing well. The A64 is 20%-25% better at the same clock speeds as teh AXP.

I'd say if you get eh A64 to 2.2 ghz you'll have about equal preformance.

DryFire said:
i would get the nforce3 250 version of that chaintech.

I"m not sure you should bother to upgrade that rig looks like it's doing well. The A64 is 20%-25% better at the same clock speeds as teh AXP.

I'd say if you get eh A64 to 2.2 ghz you'll have about equal preformance.

Yeah I'm thinking that too, but its a decent time for a performance boost for so little. But then again I would probably want to go 939 once its really mainstream.

Is there that much of a difference between nforce 3 150 and the Via KT800?

not really but get the nforce3 250 is has pci and agp lock. I only know one board that used teh k8t800pro.

I'm really thinking about getting a 3000+ and Chaintech VNF3-250 from zipzoomfly because it comes with farcry free. I'm still debating wether to get the 3000+ or 2800+, i think the high multi is worth the extra $20.

seems we're kinda in the same boat except i have no one to sell my pc to yet.

I'd wait until you can afford a significant upgrade. That 2500+ running at 2500Mhz will probably be more than sufficient for the time being.

that on die memory control the 64's have has to be better for multi-tasking too. i mean its no dual processor or hyperthreading but its got to make things just a little more smoother when switching between apps than a regular xp.

If you do go A64, don't forget you should be able to OC it to 2.3 - 2.5 (be sure to get a CG/Newcastle). That will certainly be faster than the Barton.

T

hemi said:
If you do go A64, don't forget you should be able to OC it to 2.3 - 2.5 (be sure to get a CG/Newcastle). That will certainly be faster than the Barton.

T

I'll more than likely be using stock cooling, as I dont think the SLK-900u will fit on S754.

I doubt I'll be able to get more than 100 mhz....

neoreturns said:
I'll more than likely be using stock cooling, as I dont think the SLK-900u will fit on S754.

I doubt I'll be able to get more than 100 mhz....

You might be surprised what you can do with the stock cooler. I've read about some guys who are doing 2.4 with reasonable temps...they could go higher but don't want to. 2.4GHz is still damn fast. Not trying to persuade you towards A64 though, it's still up to you.

hemi said:
You might be surprised what you can do with the stock cooler. I've read about some guys who are doing 2.4 with reasonable temps...they could go higher but don't want to. 2.4GHz is still damn fast. Not trying to persuade you towards A64 though, it's still up to you.

Is this with the A64 2800+ :eek: ?

On stock cooling, i got 2.38ghz out of my 3000+

my friend's 2.4ghz barton can't touch my a64 @ 2.0ghz in 3dmark. but then again, that's just one bench.
but a64 excels in gaming and sse2 helps in certain encoding apps for sure.

Deliximus said:
On stock cooling, i got 2.38ghz out of my 3000+

my friend's 2.4ghz barton can't touch my a64 @ 2.0ghz in 3dmark. but then again, that's just one bench.
but a64 excels in gaming and sse2 helps in certain encoding apps for sure.

Sounds good. Why are you only running at 1 Ghz without a fan (according to your sig?)

neoreturns said:
Sounds good. Why are you only running at 1 Ghz without a fan (according to your sig?)

Probably because it's silent... :D

Edit: Here's where I read about 2.4GHz with a stock cooler - default vcore too.

Posted on the PCPer/AMDMB forums.

Originally Posted by josanai

I've got my 3000+ CG core at 2.44 GHz (305*8 on an Epox 8kda3J) at the default voltage. I won't put more voltage into it until I get a better heatsink (Using stock cooling now). I have had it at 2480 at 1.6 volts, but temps at full load were ~66 degrees C, too hot for my liking. I personally wouldn't bother getting any other 754 processor than the 3000+.

He's using a 3x HTT multi and 3:2 mem ratio (~203MHz) and tight timings.

Tom

Back