which stage 3 tarball did you use for Gentoo?

To allt he Gentoo guys in here...

I'm currently installing gentoo linux for the first time (coming over from months of Ubuntu-land). Anyway, I'm downloading the i686 tarball (stage3-i686-2006.1.tar.bz2) and was wondering which one you guys used. My system is an Athlon XP barton. Does it make a difference which one I pick (out of 586, 686, and x86?)? I couldn't really find a good answer on google, and figured asking here would be a good place.

The one you used is fine. Not that it matters anyway. The packages on the install media are so old that you will end up recompiling nearly the entire system on the first update. Gentoo really needs to shove a new release through the pipeline.

If you have any x86 processor newer than Pentium 1, just use i686. The stuff inside the tarballs are built against generic x86, i586, or i686 instruction sets, so an i686 stage3 tarball contains stuff that may take advantage of the i686 instruction sets.

thanks guys.... makes me feel a bit more confident about my choice :)

anyway, I got to the point where you transfer the system to the hard drive after installing portage and am currently updating.

lol, i have to say, installing gentoo is alot different than ubuntu's "Please use the slider button to indicate how large you want your partitions" kind of installation

even at this early stage i've already learned so much

Yeah you got the right one, and I agree they need some new tarballs....

Damn, at this point we may not get a 2007.1 release.. I'll about shit myself if they get 2007.0 released before the middle of the year.

They need to go back to quarterly releases instead of this bullshit.

It takes a good while for sure, but you'll be amazed at what you can do with the proper use flags.

I can get the whole system built in less then 8 hours, gnome and all... And this is on a dual core running at 2.5ghz With 2gigs of RAM.... It'll take a bit longer then that on the system in your sig.

compiling, compiling.......

on the bright side, now i know how to troubleshoot my laptop's ubuntu installation better :)

Back