Which Skylanders to start with?

jedolley

[H]ard|Gawd
My son recently turned 6 and i'm considering getting him Skylanders for Christmas. I'm still debating between Skylanders and Disney Infinity, but if I opted to go with Skylanders, I was wondering which Skylanders game to start with.

My son hasn't had much experience with games via a controller, he has done mostly tablet games and Wii motion controller games. He has played a little Rocket League on my PS4, but that's pretty much his only experience with a controller. So i'm wondering how the games compare with each other in terms of learning curve. I'm not afraid of giving him the game with the steepest learning curve, but figured I should at least know what I am getting into and take it into consideration.

Thanks in advance,

JD

They should all be pretty simple control wise. They're designed for younger kids to be able to play. The most complicated part of them is that some content is locked behind specific elements so he would have to use a character of that element in those sections. The elements are all distinct symbols so they're easy to tell apart.

My sons are 5 and 7. I started with Swap Force and then Trap Team. Both boys picked up on it fairly quickly. Some of the mini-games they needed help on.

You can use past characters on newest game which works out great for picking up used characters for stocking stuffers. They don't care if they been out for years. They are just a new cool character to try.

I got Giants but they hardly play it since they can't use their newer favorites on it. Also you can't jump. Characters that have wings can't even jump, so that kind of killed it for them.

The hardest part for me is watching them play. Their only goal is to make it to the end, skipping obvious secrets. That really itched my OCD gaming habits.

I haven’t played the original but none of them have been really hard to pick up. I think you’ll be golden wherever you start. Personally I’m talking them out of Super Chargers. It has racing and some Mario Kart like modes. We’ve tried Mario Kart, it didn’t go well.

I don’t have a ton of experience with Disney Infinity but what I know is Skylanders is the game to co-op. If you want to get to the more creative side of things, like building worlds, than Infinity is the better choice there. I wanted something they could play together and you might want to play with your son. Skylanders is the better choices for sure in that case.

Thanks! Ultimately, i will try to get him to decide between Skylanders and Disney, but on the sly. If he chooses Skylanders I may go with the Gamestop "Skylanders Day" sale this Saturday since if you buy Superchargers you get a free previous edition starter pack. My son loves Mario Kart, he's played both the Wii and Wii U versions and its probably his favorite game so far. My worry about Superchargers is that he will want all the new vehicles... I was mentally prepared for the different characters, but now there are vehicles.

It probably doesn't mean much since it's from a totally different perspective, but...

My 34 year-old sister has both Skylanders and Disney Infinity, and she much prefers the former over the latter. However, she may have a biased opinion due to being a Spyro fan since the first game came out in 1998.

My 34 year-old sister has both Skylanders and Disney Infinity, and she much prefers the former over the latter. However, she may have a biased opinion due to being a Spyro fan since the first game came out in 1998.

From what I've played of Infinity, Skylanders was the better game. It just felt better, missions didn't feel like a chore. I can’t speak on the newest Disney Infinity 3.0 though.

was in the same boat as the OP, son turned 7 this year and really wants skylanders, just so happened that bestbuy was selling skylanders swap force for $20 on clearance :D

Back