Which Processor ?

I can't see any reason to get a KF unless you come across an exceptional deal on one. Might as well have the iGPU there just in case.

Agree with this. While I don't generally use the display from the iGPU, having it available for quicksync and hardware acceleration for WebEx and whatnot have been immensely helpful for me.

I don't really do much with video so I guess I'd be ok with a KF chip, but only if I got a really good deal on it. KFs seem to be rather rare and not priced much lower. Whenever I see one it's usually like $20 less, and that's not enough IMHO. I'd rather have the iGPU capability just in case I need it.

Sometimes I recycle old parts out of my desktops into Linux server boxes and when I do that with a board, proc and ram I like to remove or downgrade the vid card. Removing it and just using the iGPU is of course preferable since it frees up a PCI-e slot for something more useful. If the cpu doesn't have integrated video I'll look for the cheapest near current gen vid card with passive cooling that works out of the box with current RedHat/clones (aka Rocky 9) if I don't have something that works on hand.

CPU with that many threads (32) should be useful for a very long time for stuff that do not require much of a video card but still some (would it be just to make the first install simpler on a regular motherboard)

There are times you might experience a problem with the discrete GPU and for testing purposes, having easy access to onboard graphics can be very convenient. You might move your discrete card over to a new build and yet want to be able to access the system while doing so or while waiting for that new card...having onboard graphics would be of benefit. It would have to be a good amount of savings for me to deliberately pick one over the other (say $50 or more).

just buy a K never know when a bad bios comes out or game drivers come out and nuke some stuff.

Back