Which ones?

eli

[H]ard|Gawd
I am going to buy some speakers, but I need to choose between a few models. I am either going to get the logitech Z-680s, Megaworks, or gigaworks, or the klipsch ultras. I am going to be playing some games, watching some DVD's but playing a lot of music. if I were to play an mp3 on one of those systems, would it utilize all the satelites, or just two?

From what I hear, the Gigaworks 7.1 are the best, and I can afford them, so I am probably going to go with them, I just want to make double sure.

thanks...

Try this site for some reviews: http://www.dreamnid.com/theear/.

As for whether a mp3 would use all the satellites, normally it would only use two because mp3's are only stereo. Now, if you ran that same mp3 through CMSS, Circle Surround II, Dolby Prologic II, DTS Neo 6 or some other method of upmixing, you would use all your satellites.

Also, I am going to get the Digital Decoder from Creative for hooking it up to my tv, and gamecube. It says it supports DTS and Dolby digital surround sound. I am not very familiar with those. Does the surround sound just happen, or do you have to set it in the DVD your watching...or on the decoder...? please bare with me..I am a newb in terms of audio...I am just getting into it...

thank you very much :)

update: does your DVD player have to support the type of surround sound you want to use?

update: if I were to hook the digital decoder up to my DVD player, and I got a 7.1 system, would I be able to use 7.1 surround sound...or just 5.1?

please guys...I really want to order this thing..I just need to know more about it. I am deciding between the Gigaworks 5.1 w/digital decoder, or the Klipsch Ultra with digital decoder.

gamecube uses dolby pro logic 2, which is only supported by the 680. for the gigaworks and ultra, you have to get a seperate decoder.

thats what I said I was going to do...get either the Gigaworks 5.1, or the Klipsch Ultras with a digital decoder. the rest of my questions still remain...

thanks for your help..I'll make sure my digital decoder supports prologic II

I decided to go with the Gigaworks...just wondering if i should get the 5.1 or the 7.1. can i actually use 7.1 dolby or DTS surround by using the creative digital decoder with my gamecube and DVD player? or just 5.1?

eli said:
I decided to go with the Gigaworks...just wondering if i should get the 5.1 or the 7.1. can i actually use 7.1 dolby or DTS surround by using the creative digital decoder with my gamecube and DVD player? or just 5.1?

7.1 still (and probably never will) have any use that would warrant the additional cost. Most media is still 5.1 encoded, to get 7.1 there would have to be some sort of upmixing (bad).

Xeero said:
gamecube uses dolby pro logic 2, which is only supported by the 680. for the gigaworks and ultra, you have to get a seperate decoder.

Just so you know, dolby pro logic 2 is not true surround, as it is upmixed from stereo sound (like 5.1 to 7.1).

edit:
This is about the Dolby Pro Logic 2:
http://www.dolby.com/ht/co.br.0107.PLIIListenersGuide.html

7.1 is sort of a pseudostandard right now. I believe that PrologicIIx supports it, but nothing else. I, also, am not too sold on the idea of having more than 5 speakers and a sub, unless you have a full room just for watching movies. However, at that point you're certainly not going to be using PC speakers to fill 3000ft^3 with sound :D

whats up BO(V)BZ :) if nothing supports 7.1...then I don't need it. I am going to stick with the Gigaworks S700 5.1 with the DDTS-100 digital decoder. Now how would I enable the paticular type of surround sound I wanted? My DVD player says it supports dolby, and DTS. also, how do you configure surround sound to watch movies on your computer...not that i would want to considering i have a dvd player, and a good sized TV...but that still might come in handy. Also, when I am playing an MP3, do you recommend I just use stereo sound, or use some something else to enable all 5 satelites? if so, what?

thanks

Dolby Digital and DTS are both methods of encoding a 5.1 signal, most often used in movies. When playing a DVD, the sound you will be hearing should usually be encoded in dolby digital automatically. This signal is what gets decoded by your decoder/DVD player/sound card which allows you to hear the 6 different sound channels. Some DVD's support both Dolby Digital and DTS, in which case you usually can switch between them in some sort of options or configuration page.

As for playing mp3s, I recommend you see whether you prefer them upmixed or not. Some people think that upmixing degrades the sound and dislike it, preferring to listen to music one two speakers as it was intended. Others prefer the upmixed sound hitting them from all their speakers. There is also a mode of upmixing called Stereo x2 (x3) which simply shoots the same stereo signal through all the speakers, not changing the sound but still using all the speakers. I'd suggest you find out what methods of upmixing you have and then listen to both upmixed and non-upmixed to find out what type of sound you prefer.

There's absolutely no reason to go for a digital decoding solution. Don't believe the hype. Given a decent soundcard with decent analog output, the money spent on a digital decoder is more fruitfully devoted to better speakers components or better amplification components. Tell me, what audio components do you have on hand right now? What soundcards do you own? Do you have any old Hi Fi components laying around, speakers or amplification? After making that invetory, tell us what your total budget is. Then the community can properly debate the various solutins to your situations.

well right now I am using a two-peice speaker system with Soundstorm. I have no equipment. I have made the conclusion to with the Gigaworks 5.1 $280, Audigy 2 ZS $64 after rebate, and Creative DDTS-100 digital decoder $125. I have not ordered it yet, but thats around where my budget lies. I was thinking about just getting the Logitech Z-680's W/Audigy 2 ZS to make it nice and cheap, but I hear they have a hissing sound, and the subwoofer is too boomy. Any info is appreciated, but I "think" I like what I want to get.

just in case you were wondering, the only reason I am getting the digital decoder, was so I could use the new sound system with my gamecube and my DVD player. the speakers are going to be connected to the analog for my computer....

thanks

The DDTS-100 looks fine for his needs. He can connect his gamecube and DVD player to the digital in, his computer to the analog in (or digital if he wants to save some money and use soundstorm instead of buying a decent soundcard) and connect them all via the decoder to the speakers. Thus, he saves money by only needing to buy one set of decent speakers for three different devices. I'd say his setup looks fine.

I think I am going to just get the audigy 2. now, I have the Abit NF7-S motherboard, do I need to disable the soundstorm some how? the manual says absolutely nothing about it..do I need to? also, about speaker cable...I saw some 16 guage copper at walmart, but they didn't have any connecters on the end. how would I install the connecters? and what size would I need?

thanks a lot man

I just checked everywhere in my BIOS, and there is nothing to be found...and my motherboard doesn't have any jumpers related to the integrated sound.

thanks

Does anyone know of any other way to disable the soundstorm?

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments before I order?

You guys have really helped me out, Thanks

Eli

Yes it is in there, you just missed it, because you think onboard audio is called "soundstorm" in the BIOS or something. It's not, soundstorm doesnt refer to the controller alone.

Try hitting the big key labeled "Enter" when you have "OnChip PCI device" highlighted in the "integrated peripherals" menu this time around. The "Audio Controller" in there can be enabled or disabled.

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that changing the value to "Disable" will disable the audio controller!! :eek:

It's also on page 4-18 of your motherboard manual, in black and white.
I guess I must be a genius. Somebody slap me with a dead fish before I control the world by telekinesis, raise an army of evil monkeys and invade Turkmenistan!

<----- Slaps Leuk with a dead Gerbil

I don't have any dead fish around and this Gerbil couldnt pass the latest round of subwoofer testing. :p

Doh! Dead Gerbils just don't smell right!

Still, you have prevented me from conquering the world once again....MisterX, but someday I will have my revenge!!!! :mad:

Still, you have prevented me from conquering the world once again....MisterX, but someday I will have my revenge!!!!
Maybe we should pool our resources?
We would be unstoppable if we worked as a team..... only after a short respite of course. Seems my efforts to assist the Pistons in their struggle to topple the Lakers has taken more out of me then I could had imagined. :D
WOOT!

"
Yes it is in there, you just missed it, because you think onboard audio is called "soundstorm" in the BIOS or something. It's not, soundstorm doesnt refer to the controller alone.

Try hitting the big key labeled "Enter" when you have "OnChip PCI device" highlighted in the "integrated peripherals" menu this time around. The "Audio Controller" in there can be enabled or disabled.

For some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that changing the value to "Disable" will disable the audio controller!!

It's also on page 4-18 of your motherboard manual, in black and white.
I guess I must be a genius. Somebody slap me with a dead fish before I control the world by telekinesis, raise an army of evil monkeys and invade Turkmenistan

Whats a matter? Couldn't get it up with your wife last night?

Hey, being polite and patient in answering tech support questions is hard work. Some people even do it for a living. I highly doubt that he got paid for that particular post, and since it is his own time he can adopt his own style. If you solicit free advice on a message board, you'd at least better be prepared to deal w/ a little 'tude.

In other news, the powers thet be in Turkministan are a buch of ruthless pricks. If you can manage the country with out running roughshod over civil liberties , then I'm all for your telekenetic monkey coup'd'etat. While you're at it, starte a state-subsidized biz with all that cheap labor making us some cheap but good set of 2.1 active speakers.

So, wasn't the original thread about making a choice regarding some speakers? A while back in the thread I asked some questions. Do you want to answer them?

- Tell me, what audio components do you have on hand right now?
- What soundcards do you own?
- Do you have any old Hi Fi components laying around, like speakers or amplification?
- After making that invetory, tell us what your total budget is.

With all this information, the community can properly debate the various audio solutions to your situation.

NM... They've already been answered. Color me clueless.

I am polite to people and help them with what I can unless they are rude to me....

by the way...I answered your questions right after you asked them dude, here they are:

"well right now I am using a two-peice speaker system with Soundstorm. I have no equipment. I have made the conclusion to with the Gigaworks 5.1 $280, Audigy 2 ZS $64 after rebate, and Creative DDTS-100 digital decoder $125. I have not ordered it yet, but thats around where my budget lies. I was thinking about just getting the Logitech Z-680's W/Audigy 2 ZS to make it nice and cheap, but I hear they have a hissing sound, and the subwoofer is too boomy. Any info is appreciated, but I "think" I like what I want to get.

just in case you were wondering, the only reason I am getting the digital decoder, was so I could use the new sound system with my gamecube and my DVD player. the speakers are going to be connected to the analog for my computer...."

I am not trying to be rude, I just can't stand being in the control of others...people treating my like i am a child. If people are rude to me, I have every right to be rude to them...I don't want to start an arguement...lets just forget it from here, its no big deal.

I don't mean to change the subject, but my sister wants some 2.1 speakers for college, and she likes the look of the Bose Companion 3. Does anyone know how well these will perform compared to the klipsch promedia 2.1 or logitech Z-2200?

thanks...I really like you guys, but when I don't understand something, I expect "some" mercy, I mean heck, what are forums for?--gaining knowledge.

MeesterX said:
We would be unstoppable if we worked as a team..... only after a short respite of course. Seems my efforts to assist the Pistons in their struggle to topple the Lakers has taken more out of me then I could had imagined

I knew that was your doing! Why else would the dread demon Baphomet be courtside with a Pistons jersey on? And with a tricked out headphone amp made from a human skull and some blood-stained HD650's? Now it all makes sense!

eli said:
Whats a matter? Couldn't get it up with your wife last night?
If the tone of the reply is more important than the actual content, try the butler forum next time, Emo.

Yes sah, as you say sah, there is no option to turn off the audio controller in the BIOS sah. Sah may have to suffer with IRQ conflicts, so sad. Shall I smash your motherboard with my cane sah? Very good sah! Would sah prefer a cup of tea? With a spot of milk sah? Jeeves knows how very sensitive sah is!

GMC said:
I highly doubt that he got paid for that particular post
We can get paid for doing this? :eek:

GMC said:
If you can manage the country with out running roughshod over civil liberties , then I'm all for your telekenetic monkey coup'd'etat.

How dare you talk that way about our staunch ally? ;)

eli said:
my sister wants some 2.1 speakers for college, and she likes the look of the Bose Companion 3. Does anyone know how well these will perform compared to the klipsch promedia 2.1 or logitech Z-2200?

I know what else your sister wants.

Bose = No
Klipsch PM2.1 > Z-2200 unless big bloated bass is the main concern
Altec MX5021 ~= Klipsch PM2.1
Swans M200 (2.0) >> (All) unless bass is important

Newegg stocks Swans speakers now.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=BROWSE&manufactory=1950&depa=0

Swans T-200A 2.0 $413.00
Special FedEx Saver Shipping $6.00

Swans T-120 w/ Subwoofer 2.1 $179.00

Swans M200 2.0 Speaker System - $169.00 (outstanding price, but now out of stock)

Swans M20L 2.1 Speaker System - $105.00

[Caveat]
I have never heard any of these speakers. However, I do believe that I stand on safe ground saying that they will offer *MUCH* better value for your money than Bose or even Logitech. They look pretty damn spiffy too, so maybe your sister will like them.

The Swan M200 are the ones that most ppl like. I'm not sure that I've ever seen reviews for the others, but I know many people like their home-theater oriented speakers. Those are in a slightly higher price bracket of course.

OT: I went today and auditioned a full Onix Rocket home theater setup today, very nice stuff. Great sound quality on all types of music - I tried everything from Chumbawamba, to Assemblage 23, to punk to ska to electronic to rock to industrial, and it was all great.

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=3

eli said:
so I just ordered the sound card today with the cash i had on hand....I am waiting to get the rest out of the bank...my parents need the money "in hand".

link: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=123805&_LOC=US

Is this OEM?

edit: what should I do about speaker cable? Eventually I would like to get some higher quality stuff. I know not to get monster cable...but what?

thanks bros

Eli,

It's hard to tell if it's an OEM card or not.. I spose you'll find out when it gets to your place =]

Monster Cable isn't bad stuff, it's just too expensive. There are lots of good alternatives out there that don't cost nearly as much. If you want speaker wire, you can either go to radio shack and buy some 16ga lamp cord and use that, which is really damn cheap, or you could look on www.partsexpress.com for sound king wire. It's a little nicer looking, and MIGHT be a little better sounding. At a minimum, you can get lower gauges, and it's still reasonably priced. If you need interconnects, I'd look over at www.bluejeanscable.com , which comes well enough recommended by the folks over at hometheaterforum.

Lemme know what you think!

I think thats really damn awesome! $17 for 50' of 16 guage cable? cool...I ordered the speakers and digital decoder, and once I start my new job (mini golf course) I can buy the cable. Man it'll feel good to have some good speakers instead of 2 peice labtec with integrated audio :rolleyes:

by the way my sister got the klipsch 2.1 W/ Audigy 2 ZS....I will buy her some of that cable...and she will be all set. I am glad she didn't get the bose companion 3's...those things were...damn small, and really expensive.

well, thanks for the advice on the cable...I can't wait

EDIT: how should I go about breaking in my system? Also, since I am getting a high quality sound system, what quality of MP3's should I use?

Eli,

your best bet for doing any ripping is to use LAME, preferably LAME 3.90.3, which is regarded as the best build. Use EAC to do your rips.. www.exactaudiocopy.de . It's the best ripper out there. poke around with it for a while, but if you hit a snag, I can help you out.

The important thing to do is configure how you wish to encode files after you rip them. To this end, you want to most likely use alt-preset-standard, which is a great compromise between quality and size. Most people find it to be transparent. If you don't want to worry about that, you can encode using alt-preset-extreme or alt-preset-insane. The first two options are VBR, which means your mp3s will vary in size and bitrate depending on the amount of musical data present, while the latter is constant 320kbps.

What you need to do to use any of the presets is to look under the encoder section, choose LAME for your encoder, then under 'additional command line arguments' type in :
--alt-preset standard
--alt-preset extreme
or --alt-preset insane

Good luck!

right now, I am using a 128-256 bitrate...it works fine with my shitty speakers, but my new ones are going to have more detail, so i am worried if the speakers will bring out the worst in the the music...

Back