Which machine for my x800XL ?

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
I have 2 agp boxes sitting around:

socket939 Athlon64 3000+ on kt880 chipset
Socket478 Northwood 3.4 on intel 865 chipset.

Which one would be better for gaming with my x800xl ?

I don't think it will make difference what system you put the card in...

The AMD system has a way better chipset that the Intel. The CPUs are about the same but I think the AMD CPU has a little edge over the Intel cause its got newer tech

rcf1987 said:
The AMD system has a way better chipset that the Intel. The CPUs are about the same but I think the AMD CPU has a little edge over the Intel cause its got newer tech

Specifically, onboard memory controller

hi tech hate said:
Specifically, onboard memory controller

But it's a VIA... How good could it be without crashing?

Athlons never needed any memory bandwidth... Memory controllers will me mininmal gain at most...

Try benchmarking some of your games at 640x480 and the resolution you're going to play...

Until the Core (2) Duo, the Athlon 64 has always been faster in most games. I think the AMD would be the best choice especially if you give it a bump in speed by overclocking it a bit. That VIA chipset (kt880) was a decent chipset in its day and was a better choice than the NF3 150 back in the day (what a pos).

Chris

iceTraxX said:
Until the Core (2) Duo, the Athlon 64 has always been faster in most games. I think the AMD would be the best choice especially if you give it a bump in speed by overclocking it a bit. That VIA chipset (kt880) was a decent chipset in its day and was a better choice than the NF3 150 back in the day (what a pos).

Chris

What's 3000+ athlon running at? 1.6 or 1.8ghz?

It's rated at 3000+ for a reason... It was supposed to be compareable to a Pentium 4 @ 3 ghz... But that's p4 3.4ghz with hyperthreding...

Here's some similar tests I just found...

p4 running on 875 (similar to 865 performance) maybe 1-2 fps difference at most
Athlon running Via K8T800 (supposedly KT880 is a cheaper version of this chipset)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/03/22/welcome_the_latecomer/page9.html

Minimal difference in games... P4 is faster in everything else...

Yeah Marv brings up a good point that while AMD's architecture is superior the 1.8Ghz A64 is still going against a cpu twice as highly clocked in the 3.4Ghz P4. The OP should test the x800xl in both systems and see which is truly faster. Everyone here is really just guessing or sighting random benchies

Back