Which is better an nVidia or ATI card for Doom3?

DemonDiablo

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently there has been debate in my UT2k4 clan about what equipment would be best for Doom 3. I quickly enkwoledged them that AMD is far better than Intel in video games. I also went on to say that nVidia sould be better b/c its an OpenGL game not to mention the fact that Id is making the game for nVidia games.

The problem is that one of the guys (a programmer) said basically that I was wrong :eek:

Basically im asking you [H]'ers for some confirmation on weither if this is right or wrong? I hate walking around with bad information and then spreading false myth and lengends :D

DemonDiablo said:
Recently there has been debate in my UT2k4 clan about what equipment would be best for Doom 3. I quickly enkwoledged them that AMD is far better than Intel in video games. I also went on to say that nVidia sould be better b/c its an OpenGL game not to mention the fact that Id is making the game for nVidia games.

The problem is that one of the guys (a programmer) said basically that I was wrong :eek:

Basically im asking you [H]'ers for some confirmation on weither if this is right or wrong? I hate walking around with bad information and then spreading false myth and lengends :D

Question. Does your programer friend know wtf he is talking about?
if not tell me him to stfu cause he is a n00b
and yes we will tell you the answer when we get the game

For now, you and your self-proclaimed 'programmer' friend are wrong, we don't even have the game.

But im not even asking so much weither if nVida or ATI is better at D3 (nobody can answer that really) the real question (which I see I didnt make clear) is which is better at OpenGL? nVidia or ATI?

EDIT: oh yea this goes out to you NonBiasedUser.
If you have any doubts to weither if or not that 99.9999999% of the time an AMD cpu is gonna be better at games than an Intel cpu in video games then maybe you sould go read some cpu reviews or something....f'ing newb (yea thats right with an "ew" you dont deserve to be called a noob that would be to much of a compliment in your case :p )

I think by the incredible amount of spelling mistakes, and the content. We can see, this is troll bait written by a child!

DemonDiablo said:
EDIT: oh yea this goes out to you NonBiasedUser.
If you have any doubts to weither if or not that 99.9999999% of the time an AMD cpu is gonna be better at games than an Intel cpu in video games then maybe you sould go read some cpu reviews or something....f'ing newb (yea thats right with an "ew" you dont deserve to be called a noob that would be to much of a compliment in your case :p )

all NonBiasedUser posted was a face.. i don't see the reason for your flaming.

i do agree with you though in part, any athlon64 will pretty much out perform its comparitivly priced pentium4 in most games.

Ramfart said:
I think by the spelling and the content we can see this is troll bait written by a child!

wow how is this a troll bait when Im the one who started the thread? What a bunch of dumbasses I ask a question and I get a few good responses but to the wrong question :/ so I re-ask the question and and go on to insult the dumbass with the ignorant response. And as for the spelling thats b/c Im on my cousins laptop and this thing is a lot slower than my pc so I type a like five words without ever seeing a single letter appear (not to mention im not used to this keyboard). Oh and I spell one word wrong some a f'ing kid all of a sudden? Jeez you guys are making me mad some im gonna start dis-missing any ignorant posts as just that.

Now please lets just try to get to answering my question without starting up a flame war :( pretty please :mad:

This thread seems like flamebait. Both brands have their advantages, varying from game-to-game, OS to OS, and settings to settings. With just "ATI vs. NVidia" this seems more of an attempt to start an argument than to debate whether a specific model posts higher benchmarks than the other. And the Doom3 NDA is worded as such that I don't think benchmark posting is a good idea.

M11 said:
This thread seems like flamebait. Both brands have their advantages, varying from game-to-game, OS to OS, and settings to settings. With just "ATI vs. NVidia" this seems more of an attempt to start an argument than to debate whether a specific model posts higher benchmarks than the other. And the Doom3 NDA is worded as such that I don't think benchmark posting is a good idea.

Im sorry if it seemed like I was trying to start an nVidia v ATI thing here, I really am trying to get a non-baised response here. I suppose I did assume to much though of people to do just that when my thread turns into a flamewar instead of an intelligent discussion that simply asnwers which one is better at OpenGL :( Oh well I tried...and failed miserably

EDIT: Oh is there some way I can lock this thread? Because this got out of hand much to quickly and M11 gave me good enough response (probably the only positive non-baied one im gonna get, come to think of it :( ) and Im really not intrested in keeping a flame thread open and going

The 6800's are ahead of the X800's in every OpenGL game, at every setting, and every resolution. The 6800's usually have a 5-10 fps lead or more on the X800 counterparts in OpenGL. Sometimes the lead is alot more then that.

I'll show you a few reviews that have OpenGL games in them.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_performance_and_overclocking/page5.asp

Call of Duty

1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF

6800GT 117.9 fps
X800Pro 82.5 fps

Call of Duty and KOTOR were the two TOP games of 2003 and they were both OpenGL. The Call of Duty expansion is gearing up for release this fall.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/evga6800u/5.html

Call of Duty

1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF

6800u 80 fps
X800XT PE 60 fps

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF

6800u 68 fps
X800XT PE 51 fps

We get a similar story out of Jedi Knight 2 as we do out of Call of Duty. Impressively enough, the eVga and the BFG cards are faster with AA/AF on than the X800 XT without AA/AF.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113&p=11

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF

6800u 77.4 fps
X800XT PE 58.9 fps

1280x1024 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF

6800nu 75.8 fps
X800XT PE 73.4 fps

The 6800 non ultra beating the X800XT PE should seal the question of which is better in OpenGL completely lol.

Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide

1600x1200 w/ 4xAA + 8xAF

6800u 50.9 fps
X800XT PE 42.3 fps
6800nu 45.2 fps

Once again we have the 6800 non ultra beating the top end PE at a high resolution with high AF.

Then there are other games that support both OpenGL and D3D. Half Life 2 is rumored to have OpenGL support like the original Half Life did.

In D3D the 6800u and X800XT PE are tied for the performance crown. In OpenGL nVidia has no competition at all.

It should be no question which card will be better for Doom 3. Doom 3 is fully OpenGL. Doom 3 also uses UltraShadow II Technology that is ONLY available on the 6800's.

IIRC According to PC gamer (and logic based on Nvidias better OpenGL implementation), the Nvidia 6800 series is faster in Doom3.

burningrave101 said:
...Half Life 2 is rumored to have OpenGL support like the original Half Life did...

I'd suspect that HL2 support for OpenGL is more like an add-on rather than a full-fledged renderer - by analogy with Unreal. Please don't flame me, I admit this is just a guess ;) Besides, I do own 6800gt but I'll keep my 9800 around just in case :D

Yknow, the Nvidia cards would've had much greater an advantage if the game were done in DX9, because of SM3 AND the Ultrashadow II technology (though USII will be put to use in Doom 3), but until the benchies come out, its anyones guess.

Back