Which heatsink 4 Amd X2

stone

n00b
Im wondering which one i should buy,want good perf and low noise:

Thermalright XP-90C with low rpm fan or Thermaltake big typhoon?

the xp-90c is an awesome heatsink...i have a 92mm Panaflo fan on it and it keeps my 3700+ Venice (clocked at 2530mhz) at 35 degrees celcius and 38 degrees load...i approve!

xp-120 hell ya, I love those things,

Just dont add to many fans like this guy did.

:rolleyes:

My XP-90C keeps my X2 nice and cool. It performs about the same as the XP-120 and is more compact.

The XP90C can actually passively cool my X2. I have a Panaflo L1A on it though.

Xp-90C

Ive personally tried an XP-90 and its awesome didnt go for the "C" because of the extra $ but if I got an X2 Id get the copper version for sure, XP-120 is too big for my likings.

robberbaron said:
My XP-90C keeps my X2 nice and cool. It performs about the same as the XP-120 and is more compact.

The XP90C can actually passively cool my X2. I have a Panaflo L1A on it though.
I like the XP-120 because it cools half the board along with the CPU.
Perfect for the X2 since the mosfet and PWM temps are usually higher due to the increased power consumption.

Plus, a bigger fan means you can get the same airflow with less noise.

EnderW said:
I like the XP-120 because it cools half the board along with the CPU.
Perfect for the X2 since the mosfet and PWM temps are usually higher due to the increased power consumption.

Plus, a bigger fan means you can get the same airflow with less noise.

Yeah, you're definately right about the MOSFET's. But I'm going to just get ramsinks for them and put a blower on it. Will be much more effective than an XP120.

robberbaron said:
Yeah, you're definately right about the MOSFET's. But I'm going to just get ramsinks for them and put a blower on it. Will be much more effective than an XP120.
what ramsinks do you recommend?

I have a Zalman 7700Cu on mine and it keeps mine nice and cold. (32C idle w/o cool and quiet at 5V) But as the others said, the XP-90 or 120 are also excellent choices.

I just love how the 7700Cu overhangs both the mosfets and the ram. My ram runs cool even without ram sinks because the CPU fan is blowing directly on them. It is really important for me since on my mobo the mosfet heatsink also cools the northbridge (runs 30C) through some sweet heatpipe action.

brom42 said:
I have a Zalman 7700Cu on mine and it keeps mine nice and cold. (32C idle w/o cool and quiet at 5V) But as the others said, the XP-90 or 120 are also excellent choices.

I just love how the 7700Cu overhangs both the mosfets and the ram. My ram runs cool even without ram sinks because the CPU fan is blowing directly on them. It is really important for me since on my mobo the mosfet heatsink also cools the northbridge (runs 30C) through some sweet heatpipe action.
what kind of OC are you getting?

How easily does the XP-90 go on? I always have a hell of a time w/ the stock heatsink clips. I really don't like pressing the hard to get the darn thing on.

Retne said:
How easily does the XP-90 go on? I always have a hell of a time w/ the stock heatsink clips. I really don't like pressing the hard to get the darn thing on.

Goes on easy, takes quite a bit more effort to remove though.

The stock heatsink for A64's is a bitch in comparison to the "stock" heatsink that comes with the FX's and X2's.

I will say it again.

Damn this thing is sexy. Makes me want to build a new system just so I can have something to put it on. :D

sabrewolf732 said:
the big typhoon outperforms both the xp90c and xp120.
But weighs three times as much and comes with misleading noise statistics. I'll pass on Thermaltake.

robberbaron said:
its not the mosfets that get hot, its the inductors(the coils) i could make bacon on my inductors without the otes, and i could hold my finger on the mosfets for as long as i want....

What would the best fan be for the XP-90? XP-120?

So maintain great cooling at great Noise levels?

Great noise levels, as in very high or very low? Either way, I'd use a low-speed 92mm Panaflo.

use medium speed and slow it down using mobo controls if you find it unacceptable, personaly i welcome the woosh of the 120mm m1a its a nice sound thats drouded out by... anything

why do you all worry about the kind of fan so much? I get the highest output for that size any one makes, and hook it up to a fan controler. That way you can have low cfm, low noise, and high cfm, high noise when you want.

ryuji said:
its not the mosfets that get hot, its the inductors(the coils) i could make bacon on my inductors without the otes, and i could hold my finger on the mosfets for as long as i want....

My mosfets get incredibly hot when my X2 is overvolted.

And I'm also using the Big Typhoon on my air cooled system. I like it better than the Thermalright solution, but that's just me............... :eek:

371oq.jpg

But I'm also using their optional VR fan with speed controler, keeps it quiet when it needs to be and cool when it has to be................... :eek:

robberbaron said:
My mosfets get incredibly hot when my X2 is overvolted.

omg. good. lol me too, and I thought I was just screwing something up. my pwmic temp is running like 60*c load, but thats with 1.45 volts in the cpu, cpu running at 2.6 (st0ck = 2.2), 1.3v ldt, 2.9v in ram, and 1.7v in teh north bridge. I just bought sinks and fans to rig up and it should be running a shit load cooler now.

Oh and biohazard: I got my finder in one of those 120mm thermal take fans (looks like teh one on your cpu). broke a whole fin off of it and badly sliced my finder :p

I can understand that............... :eek: Turned up to full speed they are loud and will hurt you, the thing turns at 3000 rpm full speed.

Back