Which DVD+/-R? NEC or Lite-On

blip

Limp Gawd
'llo

I'm in the market for a decently priced 16x DL DVD +/- R... I've narrowed it down to either the Lite-On SOHW-1633S or the NEC ND-3500A .

I've been doing a lot of reading on these two and they both seem like good choices... which is why I can't decide between them! What do you think? Anyone want to share experiences with these drives?

Thanks.

i got the NEC3500...burned bout 20-30 dvds so far...no problems yet...love it

Another vote for the NEC. I've actually got the 2500 (8X) but it's a dandy; no coasters, to date.

Regards - B.B.S.

This was my question a few threads back... I settled on the NEC... on order now.

Cheers.

got my 3500a a few days ago love it so far no coasters haven't burned any DL discs yet because I refuse to pay 40 bucks for a pack of 5 from staples

I have the LiteOn. I like it so far. I had 1 coaster of a CD-R when I first got it but I think that was Nero's fault (stopped responding for some reason). Since then I've had no problems.

It turns out that my Lite-On that I got about a month and a half ago is shot. I'm going to RMA it. I've had nothing but problems with it though, so I'ed put in a vote for the NEC personally
:p.

Hmm... It sounds like the NEC may be the answer... I've heard that it isn't overly good at ripping DVDs though? Any comment?

It's decent at ripping, if you apply the riplock-removed firmwares from http://tdb.rpc1.org. But ripping with your primary DVD recorder is not a v.good idea anyway, I'd get a separate DVD-ROM drive for this.

TechHead said:
It's decent at ripping, if you apply the riplock-removed firmwares from http://tdb.rpc1.org. But ripping with your primary DVD recorder is not a v.good idea anyway, I'd get a separate DVD-ROM drive for this.

what does this firmware do for the drive? why does it say the firmware is for DOS?

You could wear out the laser, and I'd much rather wear the laser out of a 15-20$ DVD-ROM drive, than a more expensive DVDRW.

A little OT from the original post, but I've always used Toshiba DVD-ROM's for ripping. CD's, DVD's....works like the bomb.

My current system has a Toshiba DVD-ROM, a LiteON CDRW, and the above mentioned NEC DVD-RW. Absolutely no regrets......a good combo, methinks.

Regards - B.B.S.

Back