Which case for 3930K + Rampage IV + Corsair H100?

totentanz

n00b
I'm building a rig that consists of the 3930K, Rampage IV, Corsair H100, 2x GTX580, Corsair 1200W. What's the best case out there that can fit all of this?

Leading candidates seem to be Silverstone TJ07, TJ10, TJ11, Cooler Master HAF-X, Corsair 800D.

Last edited:
Give the Antec P280 a look. I have the same hardware config and currently using an old HAF932 until I decide to drop the cash on a new case.

Edit: AFAIK, the 600T and 650D dont have support for EATX which the R4E is although it's only a little wider than my Rampage Formula X48 which is ATX.

I am looking to get the Rampage IV but not going to run the H100 I think I am going to do the Antec 920.. Any chance of squeezing this into a mid-tower? Prefer a quiet Lian-li if there is an option that will fit this mobo. Hard to tell because of it's size.

The 650D will fit an EATX board just fine, but it will cover about 3/4 of the first row of grommets. That should be to big of a deal.

Thanks that one is on the short list.. The board is only SLIGHTLY larger than an ATX... wondering if I should chance it on one of the smaller Lian li.. I am not going to need any HD room only 1 SSD and 1 drive then the antec 920. 1 MAYBE 2 GPUs..

Don't get the 650D. That case is trash.

If you want room for expandability without compromise, take a look at the TJ07 and TJ11. As far as Lian Li, take a look at their full tower cases.They have a lot of cases to choose from, and most of them are pretty good. If you don't mind the limited space, take a look at the FT02. I think it'll be able to fit that motherboard.

Cobra...I think the mobo is 12 inch x 10.7 inch. I think the FT02 can hold 12 x 11. So maybe one of the smaller Lian Li cases can hold it? Not sure though.

Last edited:
Don't get the 650D. That case is trash.

If you want room for expandability without compromise, take a look at the TJ07 and TJ11. As far as Lian Li, take a look at their full tower cases.They have a lot of cases to choose from, and most of them are pretty good. If you don't mind the limited space, take a look at the FT02. I think it'll be able to fit that motherboard.

How is the 650D "trash"? Tons of people love that case and its backed by corsairs amazing cs?

Corsair 800D, the end.

If you buy the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, remember that board is eATX. (the 800 can easily accomidate that)
The 800D will laugh at all your stuff and ask for more.:D

I'm slowly putting together a new system based on the ASUS Rampage IV Formula, 6990+6970,watercooled and using a Corsair AX-1200.

All my stuff easily fits in the 800D with room to spare,(right now it's wedged into a CoolerMaster 830 EVO, heavily modified) very easy routing of cables and tubing, plenty of space for the reservoir, pump and radiators (yes, plural) inside the case.

The thing is HUGE.

Last edited:
How is the 650D "trash"? Tons of people love that case and its backed by corsairs amazing cs?

I thought the 650D would truly be a downsized 800D. But it just does not have the same build quality as the 800D. It looks quite cheap and ugly to me. And it uses cheaper materials.

From a functional point of view, it's a great case. But I value quality and aesthetics over function. That's not to say I don't value function. But it's hard for me to appreciate it when it's put into an ugly overall package.

I thought the 650D would truly be a downsized 800D. But it just does not have the same build quality as the 800D. It looks quite cheap and ugly to me. And it uses cheaper materials.

From a functional point of view, it's a great case. But I value quality and aesthetics over function. That's not to say I don't value function. But it's hard for me to appreciate it when it's put into an ugly overall package.

Opinion. Not fact.

/next

I ordered an 800D for my new 2011 build, but then I roll a custom H20 setup.

You should also consider the Cooler Master Storm Trooper.
If I were into gaming cases, this would be at the top of my list.

The Storm Trooper has 2x120mm holes in the top of the case to install your H100.

Last edited:
Redbeard! Plz enlighten us, myself i love the 600T my favorite case by far...

Corsair 800D, the end.

If you buy the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, remember that board is eATX. (the 800 can easily accomidate that)
The 800D will laugh at all your stuff and ask for more.:D

I'm slowly putting together a new system based on the ASUS Rampage IV Formula, 6990+6970,watercooled and using a Corsair AX-1200.

All my stuff easily fits in the 800D with room to spare,(right now it's wedged into a CoolerMaster 830 EVO, heavily modified) very easy routing of cables and tubing, plenty of space for the reservoir, pump and radiators (yes, plural) inside the case.

The thing is HUGE.

See that's the thing. I have no need for huge. All I will have in it is 1 SSD, 1 spindle, maybe 2 video cards.. All the storage I will ever need is on the unraid box.

The board is 12x10.7 so I am hoping to cram it into a tiny Lian li. I might email them.. Funny enough I have been in Taiwan the last 2 months I might just go to NOVA and take a look and ask. Not sure where they make them if it's anywhere near I am maybe I can see lol.

800D
TJ07
Silverstone FT02

and I completely agree with 650D(minus build quality since I never owned one).

Hello, I'm new here and googled the same issue because I'm in the same situation...

I just received my Corsair Obsidian 650D case, Intel i7-3930K cpu, Corsair H100, Corsair ATX1200 psu, and two nVidia GTX580 cards... and as I continued to shop for an ATX LGA2011 motherboard I finally decided to go with the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme only to learn it's an E-ATX.

So those here who say the R4E will fit into the 650D along with the H100 with no problems (except for overlapping the grommets...) where is that information coming from? Personal build experience with that setup?

I don't want the Obsidian 800D because it is massive and I have no need for case of that size... I'd like to stay with a mid-Tower.

Should I send the 650D back? Is there a better case for this setup? (currently looking at the cases cited in the responses)-- is it better to mount the H100 in a bottom mount case-- rather than a top mount case? :(

Last edited:
ABS Black Pearl (Lian Li V2000) Its massive. :p
PC001.jpg

PC002.jpg

I've had this case sitting around for over a year. Its definitely in line for my next build. And Will be perfect for an H100. Since it has two 120mm holes on top.

Last edited:
I recommend Lian Li PC-2120, or if you want something smaller PC-V1020. The Silverstone TJ11 is also nice.

Hello, I'm new here and googled the same issue because I'm in the same situation...

I just received my Corsair Obsidian 650D case, Intel i7-3930K cpu, Corsair H100, Corsair ATX1200 psu, and two nVidia GTX580 cards... and as I continued to shop for an ATX LGA2011 motherboard I finally decided to go with the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme only to learn it's an E-ATX.

So those here who say the R4E will fit into the 650D along with the H100 with no problems (except for overlapping the grommets...) where is that information coming from? Personal build experience with that setup?

I don't want the Obsidian 800D because it is massive and I have no need for case of that size... I'd like to stay with a mid-Tower.

Should I send the 650D back? Is there a better case for this setup? (currently looking at the cases cited in the responses)-- is it better to mount the H100 in a bottom mount case-- rather than a top mount case? :(

The RIVE will cover halfway over those rubber grommets which should be acceptable.

Got the 800D in. Its huge, maybe too big. So big I need some power supply ATX extenders. Its a joy to work with though. Cable routing rocks. Easy access CPU panels. Plenty of room for watercooling, lots of drives, etc.

650D. I just built a machine with an x79 motherboard, 3930K and and H100. The 650D fits everything nicely.

Why don't you PMl redbeard and ask him if they used cheaper materials in the 650D? After that, come back and tell me it's an opinion.

Do me a favor and make sure to state this as your overall opinion then fact. The 650D is a great case and was designed as a mid-range case, yes the 800D overall is better quality but it comes with a price and is larger.

I just put together this type of build and used a Xigmatek Elysium http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815013. For the price it's decent. My only complaints are that they used some cheap plastic on the top and bottom (feet). One of the feet was busted on delivery, but it seems like they are going to send me the part for a replacement. Also the hard drive system is a pain. Other then those complaints it was nice to work with something so open with so much space. There was really no reason to purchase such a large case for the h100 but I'm putting together a custom kit with larger rads at some point. I guess it could be said that if you want to do push/pull on the h100 there aren't very many cases that can accommodate it without butting right up against the mb. I had originally looked at cases like the HAF-X but even the 939 had more room up top. The 800D probably would have been a good choice as well and honestly I can't remember why I decided against it.

Either way I'm happy with the xigmatek right now but I still probably wont stick with it for very long. I've been looking more into the caselabs and other wider type of setups.

Go with the FT02. It comes with brackets to mount the H100 above the bottom 180mm fans. (Although I myself used an H80)
I just did a VERY similar build with excellent results, here are a couple of pix (with a crappy evo 3d camera, and yes I registered here just to suggest this.)

Panel on

Panel off

Go with the FT02. It comes with brackets to mount the H100 above the bottom 180mm fans. (Although I myself used an H80)
I just did a VERY similar build with excellent results, here are a couple of pix (with a crappy evo 3d camera, and yes I registered here just to suggest this.)

Panel on

Panel off

That's a really deep case... :eek:
Wouldn't it be better to exhaust the H100 heat out of the case, rather than blow it into the case?

I have mine in a 600T and it actually fits very nicely. I am looking to get an 800D again (had one last year with a dual look water cooled setup) since I am filling it back up again with SSDs and such. Plus the 600T is a bit more noisey but has amazing airflow.

ABS Black Pearl (Lian Li V2000) Its massive. :p
PC001.jpg

PC002.jpg

I've had this case sitting around for over a year. Its definitely in line for my next build. And Will be perfect for an H100. Since it has two 120mm holes on top.

Are you going to have to go with a mATX board to do the H100 thing or will you have plenty of room for your USB & front panel connectors?
I've got the V1200 & it's basically a longer V1000...the mounting plate for the motherboard is the same length top to bottom.

Do me a favor and make sure to state this as your overall opinion then fact. The 650D is a great case and was designed as a mid-range case, yes the 800D overall is better quality but it comes with a price and is larger.

Your first sentence didn't a lot of sense.

Even you said it has worse quality than the 800D, yet you're calling what I said an "opinion."

If it is going to have the D series moniker, it should have the same quality as all the other D series cases. Just because it's smaller, it does not excuse the fact cheaper materials were used. They should've given it a different moniker, not the D series name. It's basically a 600T dressed up to look like a smaller 800D.

I guess calling the 650D trash would be considered an "opinion." Opinion or fact. It's trash. It could've been much better.

If the OP is wanting the best case out there then he's going to have to be looking at the cases that cost $200+ because mid range options like the Corsair 650D and 600T are not the best out there and their build quality doesn't compare to a premium case. A lot of the Corsair offerings are also pretty average in terms of cooling performance and fan noise, especially if your running them stock, so definitely not my first choices for a high-end LGA 2011 build with two GTX 580's to cool. Until you've owned a Silverstone FT02 or TJ11 and then go out and buy something like a Corsair 500R or 650D and compare those cases side by side you won't know how much difference there really is in terms of the materials used to build them and the quality of the construction.

Last edited:

So I was wondering then, Have you handled the case and built a system using this case? Or any corsair case? None of their products are cheaply made even the lowest end case from them will compete with mid to high grade stuff from other companies. I have owned 800d, have a 700d currently and have built a friend a system with a 650d and built my wife one with a 600t. but i guess if you are going to comparing to say some of Silver stones high end cases sure it is cheaper feeling, but it is only a 150 dollar case vs a 400 dollar case so meh. I guess people are aloud to form an opinion from just here say.

So I was wondering then, Have you handled the case and built a system using this case? Or any corsair case? None of their products are cheaply made even the lowest end case from them will compete with mid to high grade stuff from other companies. I have owned 800d, have a 700d currently and have built a friend a system with a 650d and built my wife one with a 600t. but i guess if you are going to comparing to say some of Silver stones high end cases sure it is cheaper feeling, but it is only a 150 dollar case vs a 400 dollar case so meh. I guess people are aloud to form an opinion from just here say.

I did not build in the 650D, but I saw it at the store. I previously owned an 800D and 600T. The 650D is about on par with the 600T, and I rather have the 600T for what it is. The 600T is not trying to be something it's not. While the 650D is trying to be a high-end mid-tower case but skimps on the quality in comparison to other high-end mid-tower cases on the market. Corsair basically made the 650D very similar to the 600T to save on their costs for tooling. It's not truly a downsized 800D from a quality perspective. Yes, it's better than other cases, and certainly good quality in comparison to them, but it's not where it should be if it's going to carry the D series moniker, IMO. At least the 600T is very well built for its price range and for what it's trying to be (even though it's really ugly).

That's not to say the 800D is perfect either. Very cheap fan filter that breaks easily. And plastic the cover-plates inside of them are really cheap. But it's much better than the 650D. The 600T and 650D both have better fan filters than the 800D, but that's about where it ends. I initially thought the 600T side panels were more solid than the 800D's, but that's because I did not own it at the time for direct comparison. I recently dealt with it again and have to say the 800D's side panels are heavier and are of better quality.

So your all comparing 150 to 260+ Not really a apples to apples right? More like apple compared to a orange...

Back