Which card for a triple monitor setup? Triple 1650 x 1050 in portrait mode?

EazyM3

Limp Gawd
I have been doing a lot of research the past couple of days and I feel like a kid at a candy store again. Living in my cave, I have just learned about Eyefinity technology and can't wait to try it. I already have (2) Dell 2005FPWs and am getting a third one today. They are older IPS panels that I bought for $700 each back in the day, but am ecstatic my coworker is selling me his for $75! ;)

Anyways, what GPU would it take to run all (3) monitors in portrait mode? Since the native resolution is 1650x1050, would the new resolution required be 3150x1650? I only enjoy strategy games like Age of Empires and Star Craft, so I don't think I need a really beefy GPU. I was thinking a 5750 or 5770 should do the trick, but I wanted to get confirmation from [H] before I moved on.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here are the specs of my PC:
  • Q9550 OC'd to 4.0Ghz
  • Corsair hx620w
  • Gigabyte UD3R
  • 4GB of G.Skill RAM

The 5750, 5770, 5850, 5870 can all run 3 panels. For AoE or StarCraft, any of the three can handle the resolution equally well. Note that at least one of them has to be display port. Sounds like you're buying a new monitor, make sure it is display port compatible.

Not too sure about the portrait mode resolution - I would think it should work.

The 5750, 5770, 5850, 5870 can all run 3 panels. For AoE or StarCraft, any of the three can handle the resolution equally well. Note that at least one of them has to be display port. Sounds like you're buying a new monitor, make sure it is display port compatible.

Not too sure about the portrait mode resolution - I would think it should work.

Thanks. I have (3) matching Dell 2005fpw's which are all IPS panels with 1650x1050 native resolution. I just bought a Dell displayport last night so I really hope everything works! Can you suggest a particular brand name for the 5770?

Thanks. I have (3) matching Dell 2005fpw's which are all IPS panels with 1650x1050 native resolution. I just bought a Dell displayport last night so I really hope everything works! Can you suggest a particular brand name for the 5770?

XFX is the best brand, but you also pay the premium for it. Best bet would be to save up and just get the XFX 5850, the 5770's performance is lacking compared to the bang for the buck you get with the 5850.

5850 or 5870 if you're going triple displays.

XFX has the best warranty currently.
ASUS has built in overvolting bios.

I freely admit I am not a heavy gamer at all. I only like strategy games like AoE and want to get StarCraft 2 when it eventually comes out. Do you guys still think I need a 5850, especially since my monitors are only 1650x1050 each? Just wondering... thx.

I freely admit I am not a heavy gamer at all. I only like strategy games like AoE and want to get StarCraft 2 when it eventually comes out. Do you guys still think I need a 5850, especially since my monitors are only 1650x1050 each? Just wondering... thx.

Well, maybe you can get into heavier gaming with eyefinity.

If you like strategy games, how about sins of a solar empire? I know the base requirements aren't high for that game, but when thousands of ships are in the heat of battle it can get rough on your system.

I can only imagine that game in eyefinity... :eek:

Back