Which 670 is quieter at a minor overclock?

The Internal

Limp Gawd
I'm looking at the

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670

and the

ASUS GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB

I'm building a silent (or as close to it as I can get) system and want the 670 that'll be the quietest. I may even do a small overclock on it. Anyone know which is quieter and stable, clock speeds being equal?

Ive only heard those models on a 680. The windforce is a tad louder then the Asus coolers. It's not by much at all though. Also, the Asus 680 was the Direct CU version, that beefy 3 slot cooler. I know they're not the same cards as the 670s but I thought the information might help. Over all I think the Asus coolers are a tad quieter.

According to reviews, the ASUS run quieter. Of course, according to any of the ASUS' owners, you're going to want to make a custom fan profile so they're not spinning at 10% or something absurd and reaching 70+c under load, which may very well cancel out their quietness.

It's not cut and dry.

Gigabyte is quieter at idle due to slower spinning fans, but can get a tad loud under load
but
Asus is quieter under load due to better fans, but they have a high rpm so arent whisper quiet at idle

Pick your poison.

You won't hear either of them, they're both very quiet, the only difference is the Asus runs hotter. I would rather have the cooler running Gigabyte considering you still can't hear it either.

I can't hear my GB at factory clocks. Fan spins to 41% and temps peak at 61c after hours of BF3. Note I do have my NH-D14 fans at 1200rpm which are the only thing I can really hear in my case at idle. I have the rest of my fans turn off at idle. While gaming I can hear the case fans but not the GPU, but I have headphones/speakers on then anyway.

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning a little towards the gigabyte due to various threads indicating fewer issues with it... and it only taking up two slots, versus the ASUS's three slots.

Both Asus and Gigabyte 670's only take up 2 slots. The Asus GTX 680 takes up 3.

thanks for pointing out my error, HohnleMVP. I did indeed somehow get it in my noggin that the ASUS 670 used a three slot solution. It was easy to confirm that the ASUS 670 TOP CUII did indeed look like a two slotter.

Dumb question, but what is meant by the card taking up two slots? Is it just so wide that it takes covers another slot next to the one it's connected to?

Dumb question, but what is meant by the card taking up two slots? Is it just so wide that it takes covers another slot next to the one it's connected to?
The PCB is one slot and the huge cooler sitting on top of it occupies another slot. So the card needs two slots total. It connects via the PCI-E slot and usually sits over another slot making that one unusable.

So it connects into one and blocks the other correct? How do people SLI these cards then if they take up so many slots?

Motherboards are designed knowing that high end graphics cards will take up more than one slot. So the full length/full speed PCIe slots are usually spaced out 2-3 slots away from each other. Take a look at a SLI capable motherboard to get a better idea of how it fits.

Motherboards are designed knowing that high end graphics cards will take up more than one slot. So the full length/full speed PCIe slots are usually spaced out 2-3 slots away from each other. Take a look at a SLI capable motherboard to get a better idea of how it fits.
+1. Typically you will see a PCI-E x1 or x2 slot between the PCI-E x16 slots to allow for this. If you are thinking of going SLI I would suggest getting a board that has 2-3 slots between the x16 slots to help with cooling. I saw a huge decrease in temps whenever I was able to get my previous SLI setup (GTX 470's) from sitting on top of each other with my z77 board.

You just need to keep in mind, whether it's SLi or Crossfire; make sure you get LONG SLi or Crossfire connector bridges (when spacing cards or with very tall cards) with your MB or buy them somewhere.

Typically LONG ones are 100mm length. The small AMD bridges that come in the box with the GPU won't cut it.
Generally, but not always, the MB has at least one of each that are long......but that isn't always true.

ASUS e-store sells long ones, most of the time in stock, evga store also under accessories. Also check EBay.

As an aside....the overclocked ASUS card looks to be three spaces wide where the regular clock card is two.:D

As an aside....the overclocked ASUS card looks to be three spaces wide where the regular clock card is two.:D

For the Asus 670's, all cards are 2 slots wide.
For the Asus 680's, the reference is 2 slots wide and the DCUII is 3 slots wide.

So the 670 DCU's are only two slots wide? For some reason I thought they were three. Good to know!

Back