Which 1000w for me

Hey guys, my 1st post here, i'm hoping for some advice on my PSU upgrade.
As you can see in my sig i have the BFG 800w at the moment and it was fine until i went SLI with a 2nd BFG 8800GTX OC. Suddenly it sounds like a jet engine lol. I guess with my OC system and the 2nd GC i am asking it to run at 80%+ and the fan is noisy as hell.
I have been looking at these PSUs. I want it to be as quiet as possible. At asome future date I'm going to WC my system and so i need a future proof PSU in terms of wattage and silence.

Coolermaster Real Power 1000w Modular Power Supply £152.74 (ignore prices really as i can find slightly cheaper elsewhere)

Zalman ZM1000-HP Heatpipe Cooled 1000W Modular PSU £140.99

Thermaltake ToughPower 1000W Modular Power Supply £170.36

OCZ ProXStream 1000w SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply £156.26

Gigabyte ODIN PRO 1200W ATX2.2 Quad-SLi Compliant Modular PSU £166.84

I like the idea of modular as i like to keep air moving around my case. My personal pref is to go for the Zalman 1000w but if anyone has any suggestions please I'm all ears!

Cheers

Your sig isn't up...

I'm using the Enermax Galaxy 1000w... I love it. modular, has all the connectors that I need with room to grow. Check my system in my sig.

I was thinking about upping to a Thermaltake 1200W though, but not really sure I need it just yet.

Your sig isn't up...

I'm using the Enermax Galaxy 1000w... I love it. modular, has all the connectors that I need with room to grow. Check my system in my sig.

I was thinking about upping to a Thermaltake 1200W though, but not really sure I need it just yet.

Opps forgot to tick that option. Is up now ;)

PS nice rig dude

Yeah, that kind of load is going to make that PSU run hot and if it runs hot then the fans are going to kick into high gear to compensate.

Since you seem to be a BFG fan, how about the BFG ES-800? ;)

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ2NywsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Better efficiency, 10 more amps on the +12V and a much quieter 138MM fan.

Yeah I had a look at that but thought a 1000w + would see me for the next upgrade or 2. Is this the same JonnyGURU off BFG Forums??

Yeah I had a look at that but thought a 1000w + would see me for the next upgrade or 2.

You don't need 1000W. I have dual FX74's and a pair of Ultras running off of an 800W. In fact, you're not coming close to overloading the PSU you have now. It's just running a little hotter and is spinning up the fans to accomodate.

Is this the same JonnyGURU off BFG Forums??

Yes.

You don't need 1000W. I have dual FX74's and a pair of Ultras running off of an 800W. In fact, you're not coming close to overloading the PSU you have now. It's just running a little hotter and is spinning up the fans to accomodate.

Yes.

Ah ok i'll have a look at some quieter 800w PSUs then. Is the BFG considered a really good one? I saw it has a sticky on the PSU page.

Also you helped me on the BFG forum a few months ago when i was having problems with RAID on my BFG mobo as they don't ship a floppy with the drivers. I was ColonelK on there. Cheers for that help too dude. :D

Awww how cute, the females re-unite :) :) :)

Just kidding!!

Look into that BFG ES-800, check the HardOCP review on that PSU, that thing is amazing.

Read the review I linked in my post. There's another review of it over at Hardware Canucks too: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...4768-bfg-es-800-800w-power-supply-review.html

Funnily enough i'd just finished when i got the email for your reply. Seems to get great scores and is quiet too. I do like BFG and although i did have some HUGE RMA problems with them (which ended up with them sending me 2x GTX OC as an upgrade to my faulty GTX - i'm sure sending 2 was a cock up but its not like i was going to send one back huh ;) ) I might be tempted to upgrade to this PSU instead. Kinda wish it was modular but you can't have everything i guess.
It says in that review that you helped develop this PSU? Do you know when it hits the UK?

Awww how cute, the females re-unite :) :) :)

Just kidding!!

Cheeky :p

Oh... that's right. You're in the U.K.

It should actually be in the U.K. before the U.S. because everything that's sold in the U.S. is warehoused by BFG in the U.S. after a four week boat trip from China. European retailers buy their BFG product FOB Hong Kong and typially uses UPS (four day ship time.)

Definitely should be able to buy it in April.

I can wait another month and to be honest the bank balance could do with a break. Will wait and see what it retails at in the UK but that review makes it sound pretty sweet.

JohnnyGURU, since you're the PSU Inquisitor, I'm going to inquire about PSUs in your presence.

So, you say you are running your dual ultras on 800w...

As I asked in another thread, why are over 1000w even manufactured then? I was thinking about going 1000w for my next build, but it really seems like it would be a complete waste now. If you're running all that off of 800w, when would you EVER need 1000w? I'm assuming Tri-SLI and a FULLY-LOADED machine would be the only time something like this would be needed?

JohnnyGURU, since you're the PSU Inquisitor, I'm going to inquire about PSUs in your presence.

As I asked in another thread, why are over 1000w even manufactured then? I was thinking about going 1000w for my next build, but it really seems like it would be a complete waste now. If you're running all that off of 800w, when would you EVER need 1000w? I'm assuming Tri-SLI and a FULLY-LOADED machine would be the only time something like this would be needed?

Good question

Don't hi-jack threads.

I'm no PSU Inquisitor, but part of the answer to your question is within this thread.

From my understanding, it isn't a wise idea to run a PSU at full throttle constantly, which is why they make higher-wattage PSU's, instead of maxing out a 600w PSU at 80%, you can run a 800w PSU at 60% load with the same system. PSU fans won't spin up at full throttle, PSU won't put off as much heat, plus you have enough headroom for a few more builds on the same PSU a couple years later. It's all future proofing.

My 500w Earthwatt PSU is not running at it's full potential on my rig, but I got it so I wouldn't have to worry about constantly maxxing out my PSU.

Don't hi-jack threads.

I didn't really view what I typed as hi-jacking, as I feel the question applies to much of what was said here. However, since it was perceived as such - I thoroughly apologize OP. I'll make a whole new thread then.

Thanks,

Z

I'm no PSU Inquisitor, but part of the answer to your question is within this thread.

From my understanding, it isn't a wise idea to run a PSU at full throttle constantly, which is why they make higher-wattage PSU's, instead of maxing out a 600w PSU at 80%, you can run a 800w PSU at 60% load with the same system. PSU fans won't spin up at full throttle, PSU won't put off as much heat, plus you have enough headroom for a few more builds on the same PSU a couple years later. It's all future proofing.

My 500w Earthwatt PSU is not running at it's full potential on my rig, but I got it so I wouldn't have to worry about constantly maxxing out my PSU.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the insight. So then it WOULD be worth it to get that 1000w even if I use 750w.

Sorry for hi-jacking once again, OP. I'll leave you in your wake.

I have the thermaltake W1032RU modular power supply, you can actually see my review on newegg. It is fantastic. Stable and powerful without killing my electric bill. It is VERY quiet for what it does. Honestly, thermaltake power supplies on the bottom end are good, but on the top end they are fantastic!

Coolermaster for sure. It's had great reviews. It's well above 80% effeciency most of the time and it runs very very quiet. 5 Year warranty. I am so happy with mine.

Back