Where to get Yosemite upgrade?

vr.

Supreme [H]ardness
Have a macbook pro, had been planning to upgrade it to Yosemite but today I only see El Capitain available. I don't want that version. Where can you get a legit online download and install of Yosemite once a version stops showing in the app store?

Maybe from someone who has downloaded it already? Filesharing sites? Apple has made it unavailable.

Legit? You can't, unfortunately. Anything outside of the Mac App Store is illegal (Apple may make it free, but that doesn't mean it's freely distributable).

May I ask why you'd insist on the old version? It's certainly not for performance reasons... if you can run Yosemite, you can run El Capitan. And the interface is generally considered a step forward.

Talk to applecare over the phone and they might be able to get you a redemption code, otherwise setup a genius bar appointment and have them install it for you.

Legit? You can't, unfortunately. Anything outside of the Mac App Store is illegal (Apple may make it free, but that doesn't mean it's freely distributable).

May I ask why you'd insist on the old version? It's certainly not for performance reasons... if you can run Yosemite, you can run El Capitan. And the interface is generally considered a step forward.

No, you may not ask.

No, you may not ask.

Just wait until El Cap suits your needs then. 10.11 is already very stable, but if you tend to wait for the .1 release, 10.11.1 should be out of beta and into regular release very soon.

Have a macbook pro, had been planning to upgrade it to Yosemite but today I only see El Capitain available. I don't want that version. Where can you get a legit online download and install of Yosemite once a version stops showing in the app store?

Call Apple. I was able to purchase a disc with an older version of OSX for a white macbook for about $15. I imagine you could order a flash drive with Yosemite.

Just a tip: If you download/install a non app store acquired version of Yosemite and then log into the app store with it using your app store account, Yosemite will automatically be added to your Purchased tab so you can a) redownload and reinstall [for paranoia's sake if you are concerned] or b) have access when needed in the future. This works for all of the free releases (not Lion or ML).

Also, anything outside of the App Store isn't illegal. Having an appropriate Macbook Pro already grants the entitlement to a license. Downloading from a filesharing site (while risky from a security pov) is no different than having someone else download a copy from their apple account and giving you their bootable flash drive. Think of it like letting someone borrow your Windows DVD so they can reinstall. You don't give them your CD key, just the disc. The only way they can use is if they have their own key. Fortunately in the case of Macs, they key is the hardware being run.

Back