Where to get a connector like this?

Format _C:

2[H]4U
While not exactly PC power supply related this does need a power supply cord
I had a friend who bought a used Chevrolet Caprice (1996 9C1 AKA Ex police car!) anyway he stripped it of the aftermarket head unit and other junk that the previous (not the PD it was a second owner after them) and he gave me a
Directed "Car Connect"

I have the control interface which is good as these are a PITA to get and not made anymore, but I did not get the power plug it has a 4-pin 2 x 2 connector looking online even though it has 4 pins only 3 are used.
It has black = ground/negative Yellow = constant 12VDC Red = Switched 12VDC (Key or switch in my case).
I am going to use this inside the house with a 12VDC wall wart (or brick if easier have both types already in my "junk" pile) I have one of these already in my living room area and I do have the harness for that one it has a filter module and a fuse in a little box about 1' after the plug on the radio's box but I don't need either as the power supply is short circuit protected and a good filtered type.

Anyway does anyone know where to get one or what type this is?

Thanks

Left to right power control interface audio out antenna in antenna out

Attachments

• HD_Radio.jpg
    HD_Radio.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
That plug looks to me like this. You can probably find those connectors elsewhere too, but Great Plains Electronics is well regarded in the pinball/arcade field; but you do have to pay for shipping which is kind of a drag. If you don't have molex pins and a crimper and what not, you can get it all in one place and that makes the shipping charge feel a bit better.

That plug looks to me like this. You can probably find those connectors elsewhere too, but Great Plains Electronics is well regarded in the pinball/arcade field; but you do have to pay for shipping which is kind of a drag. If you don't have molex pins and a crimper and what not, you can get it all in one place and that makes the shipping charge feel a bit better.

Well call me stupid so I looked in my "junk" bin and the old 4 pin ATX 12V (AKA PIV ready power supply) and it fits right in it has 4 wires but the OEM harness only has 3 I guess I can cut the one I don't need off or remove it (how I don't know?) also no loss as it was an old deer power supply anyway!

Well call me stupid so I looked in my "junk" bin and the old 4 pin ATX 12V (AKA PIV ready power supply) and it fits right in it has 4 wires but the OEM harness only has 3 I guess I can cut the one I don't need off or remove it (how I don't know?) also no loss as it was an old deer power supply anyway!

Yeah, that'll do too. There's a molex pin extractor tool that makes it pretty easy to take the pins out, but if you don't have that, I'd just cut and tape the extra wire; not worth getting the tool unless you have a lot of connectors to fiddle with.

Yeah, that'll do too. There's a molex pin extractor tool that makes it pretty easy to take the pins out, but if you don't have that, I'd just cut and tape the extra wire; not worth getting the tool unless you have a lot of connectors to fiddle with.

Yep I do dabble much with these "Molex" style connectors but I did make my own serial cables (DE9 DB25) and ethernet and coax thicknet? PITA) cables back in the days of lore LoL. so no need for a crimper or extraction tool.
Also I found out even though it only needs 3 wires the other pin is actually tied to the negative/ground anyway just have to note the pinout as the ATX 12V wire colors are not the same as this
From the top where the clips left to right
Ground Constant 12VDC
Key/Switch Empty

ATX is
Yellow 12V Yellow 12V
Black Ground Black Ground

But is does not matter as electricity does not care about the wire insulation color it is just there to make debugging easier for us mortals LoL although you don't want to use the bare ground wire in a NMB cable for the live AC power!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That link didn't work, but there's a few sizes, and I'm not quite sure which one is needed. You might need two if the pins aren't all the same size.

You push the tool in from the board end, and the wire pops out of the housing (with the pin still crimped on)

The molex pins have two shapes of sockets/pins - square and "house", a square socket will take either pin, a house socket will only take houses.

Now in the past I've cheated when too cheap/lazy and used a knife to cut the edges off a square pin to make it fit the house socket.

If you know what wires go where, just clip the extra 4th' super short or you can pull it out by force, or you can release the 2 prongs with a safety pin (you can smash them down and they will stay down, or cut an old straw and roll it up tight and slide it in.

I'll try to take some pics of a bare molex pin tomorrow and the prongs, but here is a link to some on Amazon and you can see the barbs/prongs that snap the pin into the plastic body, you can smoosh em' down with somethign that fits inside or get a fancy tool for cheap

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back