Where do you store documentation?

xtox

Limp Gawd
I know there are a lot of IT workers & consultants here so hopefully i'll get some responses!

We currently store all our clients network info within public folders and are looking to move away from this. I am considering putting everything in an internal website (joomla or sharepoint).

What do you guys do?

Sharepoint. It's Microsoft's official answer for public folders now that they have gone away in newer versions of Exchange. Nothing beats it for office collaboration and it's quite expandable with plugins for wiki-like functionality and such.

We have limited access network shares where we store our client information, however all of the data you would need (domain credentials, equipment and website logins, point of contact, etc) is in our connectwise.

As far as documentation (the good ole, how do I fix something?) we are working on getting a Wiki setup to make searching fast and easy.

I store all that in my ConnectWise system. Links to documents on a server share

Combination of ConnectWise and OneNote. We have the OneNote notebooks setup to sync whenever our consultants re-connect to the network at the office. That way everybody has the same info on all of our clients. We also dump a lot of information into ConnectWise but its much easier to maintain the OneNote database.

We just use folders on a shared drive. TBH it's a mess, nobody really organizes it and it's spread across not only different folders, but different servers! It's stupid really. It would be a full months of work just to organize all of it.

If it was up to me we'd use some kind of fully searchable web based interface. Something customized for our needs. We have sharepoint too but only like 10% of docs are in it, and tbh, I see nothing special about it. It's just a glorified document web based interface.

My idea of a true document system would be that everything integrates with each other. For example, you have a list of PCs, you can click on a PC, then you get a list of hardware, software and other info. All this info would be "objects" within the system, and each object would also have actual documentation. For example let's say there's one PC that is special for whatever reason and out of ordinary, it would have this documentation in it. The list of software would then tell the L2 tech what is on there (or suppose to be) at a glance. If other software is on there and should not be, then it can be uninstalled.

If the user needs software installed then it goes through RFC and it would then be added to the system before it's even installed. This software would already exist in the system as an object so the L2 tech would know how to install it (some corporate software can be quite complex to install, not just next next next done). If a new software is introduced to the environment, then it is fully tested, the install proceedure is decided, and documented and this new software is added to the document system as an object which can then be added to PCs, servers and so on.

Now I'm just talking about software as that is probably the best example. This system would work that way for everything. No more word docs or other type of documentation. Everything would go in this system, and act as an object. It would be fully searchable and quarryable. If you want a list of every single software app used by the organization, then this would be a brease. For companies like the one I work for where we manage customers, the system would then have customers as objects. So we could pull up only what is used by a specific client, or global.

I suggested this to my company years ago and they never went for it.

I use a combination of things.

Most of our knowledgebase is in a Wiki internally. We also have a project management site based on Redmine that stores files/docs and has per-project wikis.

Some individuals don't have access to one or the other depending on group.

Other groups use file shares on the domain.

For personal use I have a wiki on a public website and also use Google docs.

Back