Where do you buy your parts?

Deathwish238

Limp Gawd
Don't recommend Newegg. Their prices have gone up a bit and they're no longer always the cheapest.

So, what store do you go to for computer parts these days?

Newegg :D

Some others I've used:

buy.com
mwave (not sure if they still exist)
pricewatch

amazon.com (no tax for CA residents like me:) Good prices on CPUs, Cases, some video cards and hard drives )
buy.com (Significantly lower prices on cases and PSUs)
zipzoomfly.com (Better packing of hard drives than Newegg.com)

Yes we all know that Newegg isn't the absolute cheapest but many of us still shop there since most of their parts are cheaper (like RAM, motherboards, and DVD drives)

EDIT:

Totally forgot: Fry's. There's a Fry's about a 15minute drive from me (taking local). Usually good deals on cases, PSUs, RAM, CPU/mobo combos, hard drives, etc. There's also a Microcenter about a 45minute drive from me but I'm a bit too lazy to drive that long.

Almost always NCIX.com, but I'll order from tigerdirect.ca the odd time their total order price is lower as it's never worth paying two shipping charges.

Oh noes, Canadian?

www.ncixus.com <---accessable by clicking on the american flag at the top of the ncix.com canadian website

www.tigerdirect.com <---accessable by typing .com instead of .ca because you know that websites just do that kind of thing?

Newegg gets 99% of my business.
If not, I go with Zipzoomfly & Tigerdirect.

Newegg if you want any kind of customer service.

If you don't care about returns or service, tigerdirect, amazon.

I used to shop Mwave.com, but only before I know about newegg

I shop almost exclusively at Newegg. They have great Customer Service and that is what keeps me shopping there.

I'm surprised that Provantage hasn't been mentioned. It often has lower prices (before and after shipping) than NewEgg with many parts. I haven't heard of many bad things being said about the company.

However, I haven't really tested its customer service department, so I can't really compare it to NewEgg's.

Microcenter is a lot like Fry's, except that its online site is better (designed).

Yeah that's what keeps me coming back to Newegg too. Looks like there aren't really any good alternatives.

I have to agree that newegg has good customer service which is the reason why I shop there. Amazon is great too.

Bought pretty much everything in my newest system from NewEgg ;) Price wasn't too much higher than anywhere else... actually, the prices were the same as other stores.. and the customer service has really been the best. Used ZipZoomFly and buy.com for a few things that were on sale there. No problems with either store. I've used Amazon for things that I can't find anywhere else or they stopped making them so many retailers stopped carrying the item.

Slickdeals.net (sorta count).

Helps me find awesome deals from various sites like amazon, buy.com, dell.com (for hard-drives), etc.

Slickdeals.net (sorta count).

Helps me find awesome deals from various sites like amazon, buy.com, dell.com (for hard-drives), etc.

I don't see it the same way. It's a comparison site, with links to various stores -- and not just those that focus on computer parts. You could use the same rationale for justifying eBay.

With the random, frequent intervals at which prices change and/or items go on sale, there has never been only one place where everything was cheaper all around. Not even when NewEgg was "THE. BEST. EVER!!!"

In no particular order:

1. Newegg
2. Amazon
3. Directron
4. Mwave
5. ZipZoomFly
6. TigerDirect

GoogleGear
Buy.com

*Yeah, it's ZZF now, but fuck it - I'm still calling them by their original name :D

I'm surprised that Provantage hasn't been mentioned. It often has lower prices (before and after shipping) than NewEgg with many parts. I haven't heard of many bad things being said about the company.

However, I haven't really tested its customer service department, so I can't really compare it to NewEgg's.

Microcenter is a lot like Fry's, except that its online site is better (designed).

Provantage has horrific customer service. It took them 2 and a half weeks (and 2 phone calls from me) to issue an RMA, and when they did they asked for a 20% restocking fee which was clearly NOT stated in their return policy. I very much regret ordering from them, especially when Newegg had the same product for only $3 more.

Since I live in Houston, Directron is easily my #1. I've ordered from just about everybody at one time or anopther it seems. I haven't had any problems with Provantage, Newegg, TigerDirect, Microcenter, Fry's, etc...

Probably 90% from Directron though.

Just check all stores mentioned in this thread and you'll be good to go. Different stores carry different ranges of products.
Two examples about product selection:
I've ONLY ever found Atom 330 boards at newegg. At best, other stores only carry the single core Atom 230 model.
Unlike newegg, zipzoomfly carries notebook mini-PCIE cards and such which is really cool.

Bottom line, you must diversify. No one site is perfect. For example, newegg has better prices than mwave for CPU and motherboards, but mwave has better prices for more "normal" stuff like scanners. In my case mwave also has lower shipping cost.

P.S.
Newegg trumps all other sites in site interface. The Power search filters are genius and extremely helpful.

Newegg.com, great costumer support!
ewiz.com, fast shipping to my location (located in San Jose, Ca.)
ncix.com (Usually cheap)

As a Canadian, it's pretty much NCIX. TigerDirect Canada is OK, but their pricing isn't.

As for ordering from the US, there's not much options for canadian shipping. But I needed a few TYAN server barebones for an online project I was doing. Provantage fit the bill right there, with speedy, but so-so shipping prices.

Newegg
ZipZoomFly
Mwave
eWiz (SuperBiiz)
Directron

No real order, but if I am just getting one thing and I don't care too much about price comparisons than it is right from Newegg. If I am ordering a lot of things that equal a good amount of money, then I will price compare between these sites.

I used to like TigerDirect but don't go there anymore.

Back