Where do you buy your game consoles from?

Where do you buy your game consoles from?

• Total voters
Hopefully I have enough choices.

Planning on buying a new system, just wondering if anyone has any preference due to price/return policy/or general like of a store.

Let's see...I'll start from the modern era

Playstation - Electronics Boutique
First Gamecube - Electronics Boutique
First PS2 - Hong Kong
First Nintendo DS - Hong Kong
Second Gamecube - Best Buy
Second PS2 - Best Buy
Second Nintendo DS - Gamestop
XBox 360 - Costco
Sony PSP - Amazon

Since console prices don't really differ that much between places, it's really more about not paying tax or something. The XBox 360 was bought from a Costco in New Hampshire (no tax, had a family friend help me buy it), I just bought a PSP from Amazon and didn't have to pay tax.

However, to me the return/customer service policy is almost pointless anyway so I'm not too familiar with them. I think Amazon.com takes returns on opened consoles as long as you have all the packaging and accessories, and the unit itself can still be called new.

And before any one wonders why I have a few 'second' consoles, it's not because the first ones broke. :p

You're supposed to report all out of state non-taxed and purchased items on your taxes!

lol. Be honest with the tax man!

I bought my 360 online via Wal-Mart. They had a nice bundle that was guaranteed to arrive on launch day, which it did.
I found my Wii at brick & mortar Wal-Mart during the Denver blizzard last year. They got in a shipment of 10 of them, but unless you lived in walking distance, you couldn't get to the store.
I bought my PS3 on Amazon because of the lack of tax/free shipping. I bought the 60GB model when it was at it's priciest, so that saved me about $60 off of what tax would've cost.

All 3 systems are supported by the manufacturer (I've had to ship my PS3 to Sony) for a year or more so I wasn't really concerned with returning anything.

For my old school systems (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.) I tended to buy 'em from Toys R Us, Kay Bee, or Electronics Boutique. That was long before pre-sales or any of that trash. You just showed up on release day and picked one. I remember actually seeing a line for the PS1 at the mall EB, but I walked past it and got one at Kay Bee. I miss those days :)

HaVok: heh :D

I'll admit, I'm a Bestbuy whore. Large selection of PC and console games, music and movies. I'm in heaven.

You're supposed to report all out of state non-taxed and purchased items on your taxes!

As an estate planning attorney that occasionally does income tax returns, that made me laugh pretty loud. :D

When I am doing an income tax return, I purposely go out of my way to NOT ask them if they have bought any non-taxed items. Nobody reports that crap. Once they tell me, I am obligated to report it though.

So DON'T tell your income tax preparer unless they ask. And if they ask, go to a different preparer. ;)

Bought my PS3 at Best Buy....only because of the 2 free games they were throwing in at the time.

As an estate planning attorney that occasionally does income tax returns, that made me laugh pretty loud. :D

When I am doing an income tax return, I purposely go out of my way to NOT ask them if they have bought any non-taxed items. Nobody reports that crap. Once they tell me, I am obligated to report it though.

So DON'T tell your income tax preparer unless they ask. And if they ask, go to a different preparer. ;)

H&R Online asked me that this year, I gave the shiffty eyes look:rolleyes:

But all in all...
Game Boy - EB Games
Sega Genesis - EB Games
Sega CD - EB Games
Playstation 1 - EB Games
Playstation 2 - EB Games
Xbox 360 - Newegg

Amazon usually.

Circuit City a lot now that they have that gamer membership that saves you 10% on all games and accessories.

NES - Wal-mart
Sega Master System - Sam's Warehouse
Gameboy - Wal-mart probably
SNES - Babbages, walked into the store and they had an early shipment (a week or a few days early) when it was first released
Playstation - Babbages, traded in my SNES for it... mistake!
Playstation 2 - Toysrus.com, launch system
Nintendo 64 - Electronics Boutique
Dreamcast - Electronics Boutique
Xbox - Best Buy
Gamecube - Circuit City, when they price dropped for the first time
Xbox 360 - Overstock.com, yay discount coupons
Nintendo DS - Best Buy
Playstation 3 60GB - Ebay for just over $500 brand new. The month before they dropped to $499. Didn't feel bad.

SNES - Sam's?
N64 - BB
GC - Costco
Wii - CC

If someone can save me a few bucks, I'm there. Or in the case of the Wii, just having them in stock.

PS1: Toyrsrus :)
Gameboy: Best Buy
PS2: Launch Best Buy
Gameboy SP: Best Buy
Xbox: Best Buy
PSP: Best Buy
Xbox 360 #1: Launch Best Buy
Xbox 360 #2: Ebay
Xbox 360 Elite: Best Buy
PS3 40GB: Best Buy

So yeah Best Buy is where I buy all my shit. Except computer was custom built, other computer was from Dell. Tv Samsung LN5265F was from Newegg. The console that I bought on Ebay broke after a month and the seller disappeared. All my games though are bought either here [H], Xbox-Scene.com, or Xbox360forum.com. Sometimes I will buy a used game from Gamestop, and maybe buy a new one from any store. Like most of my PC games I buy them at a store. All my computer parts either come from Newegg or [H].

I dont remember where I got my N64 from, think it was Target, my PS2 from Target, and my Wii from CC.

I bought the xbox360 at costco and regular xbox at game crazy. I don't remember where the others came from. Of them all only the PS2 broke down needing replacement.

Generally Best-Buy. But, I have bought games from Gamestop, Wal-Mart.

Usually, I buy games from the places that offer the widest selection of games. I find Gamestop has the best selection; which for console games, is pretty damn slim.

I usualy end up hitting up one of the gamestops/ebgames/whatever they are called now. If it is a late night thing then ht up walmart.

Every once in a while I'll get something from best buy if I go their looking for movies or something but I generaly prefer to avoid them.

I usually went to where it was cheaper, which was consumers or toy’r’us. The newest gen. I got them wherever I found them. 360 at walmart, wii at bestbuy and I think my ps3 was from Costco. I don’t worry about a return policy because I have never and probably will never return a console. However, if its broke out of the box I’ll exchange it same day. If it breaks 91 days later or whenever then it goes back to the man.

Thinking back, Best Buy most of the time (and I always hold the receipt). However, my older consoles came from small-time shops.

Best Buy because they have sales on there games for like 20 bucks off so i go grab em up before they gone.

Usually bestbuy doesn't live up to their name, but if you know someone who works there, you can have him buy your items with the employee discount.

bring back so many memories, i loved going to Toys R Us to get games for sega and playstation, ahhh

I think I got my N64 from TRU, I remember pulling the tags for the items way back and taking it to the register, fun times. Bought my PS2 from Circuit City due to the sale they were having (one free game with system) and my other system (the Wii) wherever they had it - which happened to be Walmart ..

Personally though, I'd probably (if I had all the options) go this route: Amazon -> Costco -> Best Buy

Can't really remember
PS2 was Best Buy
GC I think was Wal-Mart
XBox I think was Circuit City
360 was Best Buy (wanted their warrenty so I can just take it to the store if it RRODs)
Wii was Gamestop (got a preorder)

One thing about Best Buy is that for years they'd undercut Circuit City and intentionally build new stores across the street from CC to take their business away. It was pretty brilliant, but in recent years CC has finally started firing back with better sales and lower normal prices. I used to never go into CC, but in the last 2 years it's typically my first stop for larger items. Service is still as shaky as ever (they stalk old people looking at TV's because they're on commission) but at least you don't have 50 people assaulting you while you're looking for a CD. They're in alphabetical order, nobody needs BB's help looking for CD's!

It has depended apon where I'm at, at the time, and what's open. Lets see:

Sega Game Gear - Kmart
Sega Saturn - Shopko
Sega Dreamcast - Kmart
Xbox - Walmart
Game Boy Advance - EBGames.com
Xbox 360 - Best Buy

My other systems were either gifts, or purchased as a family, and when the family no longer wanted them, and I moved out, I was able to take them with me.

SNES: Sears
Playstation: Software Etc.
DC: Gamestop
PS2: Software Etc.
GBA: Don't recall, probably GS
GBA SP: Don't Recall, probably GS
Gamecube: Gamestop
Oldschool DS: K-mart (yeah, really :D )
DC: Ebay
Wii: Gamestop
PSP: Wal-Mart

SNES: Christmas present/ no idea
N64: Christmas present/ no idea
Xbox: Best Buy
360: Microcenter (when they had those $100 MIR)
DSl (mine): Best Buy
DSl (gf's): Circuit City
Wii: Walmart
PS3: Coming this summer/fall whenever they release another backwards compatible model. Probably going to get the MGS4 bundle. Never got a playstation (always played at my buddy's) and would like to pick up some old games for cheap.

Back