Where can I place the speakers?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
room.bmp

sorry for the .bmp. Anywho, thats my room, not to scale. Red is my desk, green is a swivel chair that i have, and blue is my bed. Black is pc monitor. Problem is, my monitor is not centered, in my room, so how can I place the 5.1 speakers?

Here is what I thought of:

roomwsp.bmp

Orange means speakers.

also, i am stuck b/w z680 and klipsh pro media ultra, just to let you know.

I had the Z-680's and I returned them. There is a known issue with them and hissing; the hissing is very obvious as well. I returned the Z-680's and with the Klipsch; 2nd best choice I have made with my PC.

Originally posted by [BB] The Pirate
I had the Z-680's and I returned them. There is a known issue with them and hissing; the hissing is very obvious as well. I returned the Z-680's and with the Klipsch; 2nd best choice I have made with my PC.

I heard that they fixed the hissing sound of the Z-680 though a long long time ago.

I don´t know Klipsch are way overpriced where I live so it depends. If you can get some Klipsch for the same price as the Z-680 I would go for the klipsch.

About placement. Where you put the rear speakers isn´t all that important. When watching movies for example you aren´t supposed to here where the back surround effects comes from anyway but if you still want to can´t you wallmount them?

Originally posted by oqvist
I heard that they fixed the hissing sound of the Z-680 though a long long time ago.

I don´t know Klipsch are way overpriced where I live so it depends. If you can get some Klipsch for the same price as the Z-680 I would go for the klipsch.

About placement. Where you put the rear speakers isn´t all that important. When watching movies for example you aren´t supposed to here where the back surround effects comes from anyway but if you still want to can´t you wallmount them?

wall mounting is the plan for the rear ones, im just worried the front three speakers are to close...is it worth it to just go with a 2.1 system?

is it worth it to just go with a 2.1 system?
Always, dude, always :). Your room is too small to give a proper environment for rear channels, and wall-mounting is a bad thing. They should be on stands in free-air.

Ultimately what you would want to do is to move the system to the center of the room, unlike the corner where it is now, and try to keep the speakers at least a foot away from the wall, but the more the better.

About the rear speakers, obviously you would place them on or next to the opposite wall, but like you said, I would just go with a 2.1 system. For the cash you would be spending on Klipsch Ultras, you can get a spectacular pair of bookshelf speakers, and they would be much more suitable to your small room than whatever it is you have now, assuming you get a near-field tuned pair.

Originally posted by NuTT2002
Always, dude, always :). Your room is too small to give a proper environment for rear channels, and wall-mounting is a bad thing. They should be on stands in free-air.

Ultimately what you would want to do is to move the system to the center of the room, unlike the corner where it is now, and try to keep the speakers at least a foot away from the wall, but the more the better.

About the rear speakers, obviously you would place them on or next to the opposite wall, but like you said, I would just go with a 2.1 system. For the cash you would be spending on Klipsch Ultras, you can get a spectacular pair of bookshelf speakers, and they would be much more suitable to your small room than whatever it is you have now, assuming you get a near-field tuned pair.

hm...or even a pair of nice headphones;)

my room is around 13' (the side with the desk) x 12'.

I might consider moving my monitor around...but i'll have to see.

and why is wallmounting bad? do the vibrations carry through the wall and distort the sound or something?

Originally posted by NuTT2002

But then surround sound get much more intense in a small room. If it is big enough so you can have say the front left/right speakers at least a metre away from each side that bargains for great surround sound in combination with the center speaker.

But I agree if you put it in the corner it really forces you to sit very close to the screen to get good surround. If you want to watch movies in your comfortable sofa that isn´t the optimum solution really.

However with small room you don´t need mega powered speakers and thus you can get 5.1 systems that sound really good but yet isn´t overly expensive.

Wallmounting isn´t a bad idea at all. It´s for those sound geeks who don´t mind having monitors standing on the floor with cables everywhere to trip on :p

There is something about functionality too. If you are in a small room you don´t want more intrusive objects to make your room even smaller.

I guess he means vibrations but if you have concrete walls and not too powerful satellites you may be just fine. And since you hardly will push the volume all way to the top that is very likely.

But then surround sound get much more intense in a small room. If it is big enough so you can have say the front left/right speakers at least a metre away from each side that bargains for great surround sound in combination with the center speaker.

But I agree if you put it in the corner it really forces you to sit very close to the screen to get good surround. If you want to watch movies in your comfortable sofa that isn´t the optimum solution really.

However with small room you don´t need mega powered speakers and thus you can get 5.1 systems that sound really good but yet isn´t overly expensive.

Wallmounting isn´t a bad idea at all. It´s for those sound geeks who don´t mind having monitors standing on the floor with cables everywhere to trip on :p

There is something about functionality too. If you are in a small room you don´t want more intrusive objects to make your room even smaller.

I guess he means vibrations but if you have concrete walls and not too powerful satellites you may be just fine. And since you hardly will push the volume all way to the top that is very likely.

Hmm...what I was thinking of now is getting 2.1 speakers, along with a nice pair of headphones. Klipsch Pro Media probably...

I'll get some pics up of my room later on, that way you guys know EXACTLY what I'm dealing with...

Originally posted by rayman2k2
Hmm...what I was thinking of now is getting 2.1 speakers, along with a nice pair of headphones. Klipsch Pro Media probably...

I'll get some pics up of my room later on, that way you guys know EXACTLY what I'm dealing with...

are there any good 4.1 systems? I know logitech used to make one, and that Klipsch makes a 4.2 set...would a 4.1 be more ideal in this situation?

If you want to get a truly good 4.1 set, try to get your hands on a set of Sirocco Crossfires. Or if you want an outstanding 4.2 set, two pairs of Sirocco Pros. Oh, and good luck with that :D

It's hard to find anything good 4.1 anymore, only 5.1, 7.1, 43.1, god knows what else.

Originally posted by rayman2k2
are there any good 4.1 systems? I know logitech used to make one, and that Klipsch makes a 4.2 set...would a 4.1 be more ideal in this situation?

Well since your front speakers are so close to eachother you really don´t need a center channel so that may be a wise move.

And yes the Crossfire speaker rocks. Actually a tad better than those on the digitheatre DTS. I got the Platinum and I think they are pretty much the same as the crossfires.

Don't listen to Logitech's attempts at damage control - they still hiss something awful with the new control pod.

yeah but em on each seperate wall. and don't listen to them. i've noticed an enormous difference between 2.1 and 5.1 i'll never even go back to 4.1

dude. those speakers are more than powerful enough to envelop your room in sound. put em on the corners of the wall. ya may have to get some rca jack extenders from fry's for like 3 bucks a piece but they help a ton. what's the point of having 5.1 if the front channels are all close together? those stands will turn around and ya can get some picture hanger hooks and they'll fit nicely.

mount them on the wall then turn up the music!

Back