When will the 18 core E5-2699 Haswell-EP be released?

aphexcoil

Limp Gawd
I thought it was already released but I can't seem to find a retail boxed version of it online.

Last edited:
i know they are to OEM's as HP has them in their Gen 9 servers.

To public, no idea!

I honestly don't think these will be public, if they are then it will be after their OEM contracts are expired.

You could probably find one down the line off of eBay as a working pull, you'd pay a lot for it though.

Moving back to basics for a moment, how about this argument:

The 18 core Xeon has stock speed of (only) 2.3 GHz. Take 8 core i7-5960X, overclock it easily to 4.6 GHz and you get power equivalent of ~16 cores of the 18 core. Some people are reporting overclocking to 5 GHz which would be even more.

Obviously, this is rough comparison and may not keep up with heavily multithreaded apps. But for for many applications which are not heavily multithreaded and have lots numerical computations this might be worth to think. For some applications GPU computing may also be very reasonable option.

The 18 core Xeon has stock speed of (only) 2.3 GHz. Take 8 core i7-5960X, overclock it easily to 4.6 GHz and you get power equivalent of ~16 cores of the 18 core. Some people are reporting overclocking to 5 GHz which would be even more.

Obviously, this is rough comparison and may not keep up with heavily multithreaded apps. But for for many applications which are not heavily multithreaded and have lots numerical computations this might be worth to think. For some applications GPU computing may also be very reasonable option.

Depends on the type of workload as well.

The only issue here (and I agree with your analysis from a processor power standpoint) is that, if I go the 5960X route, I'm limited to 64 gigabytes of RAM. My application would need a minimum of half a terabyte of ram but preferably 1 tb

The only issue here (and I agree with your analysis from a processor power standpoint) is that, if I go the 5960X route, I'm limited to 64 gigabytes of RAM. My application would need a minimum of half a terabyte of ram but preferably 1 tb
if you don't mind me asking, what application would that be? :eek:

if you don't mind me asking, what application would that be? :eek:

I'm running an API for researchers at http://www.redditanalytics.com (this isn't the actual API but the website that I'm reworking). I have over 600 million comments in a large database and I'm using Sphinxsearch to do intelligent searches (http://www.redditanalytics.com/findposts.html), but I'm running up against I/O limitations on the SSD drive. I'd love to offload some of the larger indexes (100+ gigs) to a RAM drive. I'd like to increase the peak IOPS to over a million (currently only 80,000 or so).

Edit: Here's a call to the actual API. This searches for the term "hardforum" for the past 100 million Reddit comments: (The api returns JSON so you may need the jsonview extension for Chrome if you want to make sense of anything. It's many for developers.

http://api.redditanalytics.com/searchRecentComments?q=hardforum&lookback=999999999

You would see ES versions of these CPU's floating about on ebay but that's about it.

seems to me if you can afford 1TB of DDR4 RAM, the CPU cost wouldn't be prohibitive

which is why i had said if money is no object, and you're shooting for density, it's probably a good option.

that being said, you can roll with the 12 core xeons and ddr3 for a hell of a lot less. if he's looking to load up a shit load of tables and run queries/searches.. that may just make more sense financially.

i don't know. not familiar with this sphinxsearch.

Then another question should be put first: Which mobos support half/full tera of RAM? This is obviously a heavy iron area far from any 'consumer' link. As an example, one can take a look into superworkstations from Supermicro which are supporting up to 1 TB but only in dual Xeon configurations:

http://www.supermicro.nl/products/nfo/superworkstation.cfm

and servers which support up to 512MB RAM in with single socket:

http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/1U/index.cfm#upXeon_E5-2600v3

Last edited:
What a variation. In the picture 5GHz is hit with 1.367 CPU voltage but in the video he has to set the voltage to 1.5GHz to run SuperPI. Neither OC appears very (long term) stable.

This indicates possibility there are those 'center-of-the-wafer' chips out there which break over 5GHz.

What a variation. In the picture 5GHz is hit with 1.367 CPU voltage but in the video he has to set the voltage to 1.5GHz to run SuperPI. Neither OC appears very (long term) stable.

I can get mine to boot at 5Ghz but if I P95 it it instantly clicks off even at 1.6V. It might survive less stressful stress testing (IBT, A64), but meh. Even 4.6Ghz won't last more than 20 minutes on P95 but it's so far stable in my real world usage.

I'm running an API for researchers at http://www.redditanalytics.com (this isn't the actual API but the website that I'm reworking). I have over 600 million comments in a large database and I'm using Sphinxsearch to do intelligent searches (http://www.redditanalytics.com/findposts.html), but I'm running up against I/O limitations on the SSD drive. I'd love to offload some of the larger indexes (100+ gigs) to a RAM drive. I'd like to increase the peak IOPS to over a million (currently only 80,000 or so).

Edit: Here's a call to the actual API. This searches for the term "hardforum" for the past 100 million Reddit comments: (The api returns JSON so you may need the jsonview extension for Chrome if you want to make sense of anything. It's many for developers.

http://api.redditanalytics.com/searchRecentComments?q=hardforum&lookback=999999999

You're the exact usage scenario of the v3 series. Tons of memory capacity (something like 3TB per socket?) for scientific computing and in-memory processing. the E5-2699V3 is currently Announced and not Launched. I wish I could check the inventory levels in the Intel Technology Provider tool thing but it's not working for me for some reason. One of the resellers only has it in tray form and not box form. MSRP is a little above $4k. Might be easier to just go multi-socket on some 14 cores that you can get off Newegg?

EDIT: Here you go http://www.provantage.com/intel-cm8064401739300~7ITEP43Y.htm

Last edited:
I can get mine to boot at 5Ghz but if I P95 it it instantly clicks off even at 1.6V. It might survive less stressful stress testing (IBT, A64), but meh. Even 4.6Ghz won't last more than 20 minutes on P95 but it's so far stable in my real world usage.
4.5 - 4.6GHz is realistic. When he said people are getting 5GHz OC's I assumed they could be stable but that definitely doesn't appear to be the case. It looks like the only way someone is ever going to get a solid 5GHz stable OC is if they used some kind of (extreme) Phase Change cooling. Had my hopes up for a minute....lol.

Quick (unstable) benchmark OC's are useless in the real world.

OK, so let's take the realistic 4.6 GHz for 8 core which happens to be twice of the 18 core stock 2.3 GHz speed. To what extent the 8 core @4.6 GHz is equivalent to 16 core @2.3 GHz?

Obviously for multi-threaded applications that can utilize all the cores available efficiently would crown the 18 core the winner over a faster clocked octocore.

This is like the old C2D E8500 @ 4GHZ vs a C2Q Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ.

OK, so let's take the realistic 4.6 GHz for 8 core which happens to be twice of the 18 core stock 2.3 GHz speed. To what extent the 8 core @4.6 GHz is equivalent to 16 core @2.3 GHz?

In what? Because if you compare the Xeon to the oc'd i7 in database and indexing it will destroy it, much like the oc'd i7 will destroy the Xeon in gaming.

If you were trying to replace an 18 core Xeon with an oc'd i7 you'd be very misplaced.

The best Intel CPU that has a retail variant is the E5-2697 V3 (14 core). Everything else with more cores is OEM tray only.

An i7-5960X overclocked to a typical 4.5GHz will have the rough multithreaded equivalent of a 12-core CPU at approx 3.0 GHz, while destroying the 12-core in any single threaded task like gaming.

Back