When Will 8K TVs Catch On?

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
In how many years do you think we will see 8k movies?

I'm asking because right now I have a 42" Panasonic 1080p TV and it's like 12 years old. Nothing wrong with it, besides the size, I love the black colors. Anyways, after doing some research I'm going to get the Sony X93L, either in 75" or 85" size. I sit about 12 feet away.

There is a $1,000 difference between the two Tvs, with the 75" already $2,500. I don't want to spend $3,500 on the 85" version and then it become obsolete in a couple of years when Big TV starts rolling out 8k. And I do think that Big TV will try to roll out 8K quickly because it will cut down on piracy. Can you imagine how many GB (TB?) you would need to RIP a 8K movie?

Thoughts?

4K is nice and all, but 1080p still works. 8K will be nicer maybe, but 1080p and 4K will still work.

Early 8K products and streaming are gonna be rough cause it's 4x the pixels and all that. If you want live tv in 8k, you probably need to be in Japan. I doubt anywhere else will get around to broadcasting 8k before broadcasting is over.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
I wouldn't worry about 8k. The jump from 1080p to 4k is massive compared to the jump from 4k to 8k. We're at the point of diminishing returns for resolution. Other things like contrast and peak brightness make a much, much bigger difference than resolution does at this point.

I honestly still use a 1080p TV in my living room. Don't see the need for anything more until I want a bigger TV. I love the idea of 8K for PC gaming on a massive screen in-my-face so I can get the pixel density of a small screen but the awe-inspiring field of view of a big screen, but I also don't like the idea that even in 5 years the only GPUs worth running that resolution will be $2000+

So big 4K it is for my PC.

There is almost no 8k content and due to streaming taking over there is unlikely to be any for a long time.

The human eye is more sensitive to contrast than resolution so getting an 4k OLED will be a better plan than getting an 8K lesser panel.

Get this TV and enjoy:
https://hardforum.com/threads/samsu...99-99-best-buy.2033163/page-2#post-1045834321

There's nothing about streaming that would prevent 8k video streams.

Bitrate, sure. But 8k? That's just resolution. I can encode Avatar to a 500MB 8k stream in minutes. It would be soooo easy to stream a 500MB movie.

There's nothing about streaming that would prevent 8k video streams.

Bitrate, sure. But 8k? That's just resolution. I can encode Avatar to a 500MB 8k stream in minutes. It would be soooo easy to stream a 500MB movie.
Where are you finding Avatar in 8k? It kinda proves my point.

Where are you finding Avatar in 8k? It kinda proves my point.

Me. Hence why I specifically said "my encode". You'd have to get it from me since I would be the once in sole possession of it.

If it makes my point easier for you to understand, substitute my 8k wedding videos as an example instead.

8K is a waste ATM. Look how long we have been on 4K and its really just starting to matter. Even 1080p at a nice bitrate is fine.

It will never catch on in Europe since peasants are already not allowed anymore to waste energy that way.

Even the EU 4K TVs come with a ridiculous low power default setting and every friggin time i turn on HDR or any other power consuming picture quality setting i have to "confirm" that i am aware that the setting uses more power.
What a waste of time just to circumvent a law. Maybe if the 8k power consumption gets lower in the future?

And 4K does not hinder the replication of reality, the brightness does.
For total immersion you would need around 10 to 15.000 nits.

So we are going to sacrifice true blacks for higher brightness the next years since this is what we can still improve upon. In many many small and expensive steps.
Funny how that route makes Sony go for non-OLED brighter displays that also will be cheaper, huh?

And since "bigger" always wins against "better" 100+ inch 4K TVs that are "just good enough" is what is going to be sold in bulk.

8K cameras and the post production are another costly nightmare.

But
Give it 4-10 years and you will get your 8K if you pay for it since most Films are going to be made by AI. So upscaling will be very very easy

Don´t believe a strangers text?

How about a British voice then:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joWYUoeO6QM

Last edited:
I doubt we will get native 8k content in the next ten years. But upscaling is getting much better. Sony TVs do a great job. I can imagine upscaling improving quite a bit in the next ten years to provide the image quality need to show off 8k.

I wouldn't worry about an 8K anything. When you get into how the human eye actually works and the retina receptor cones and stuff your eye can't will be aggregating the pixels anyway. There are some interesting presentations about it...

I feel streaming in many way would make a transition easier not harder, the chicken and egg of physical media-player and regular tv seem bigger.

OTT streaming can easily have the 720p-1080p-2160p-8k (4000p ?) content and just send you which you want and it does not need to have any actual advantage for the content to be 8K instead of the same new higher bitrate but at 4k for it to make sense marketing-sales wise, can be easier to surcharge for 8k instead of 4k than for 70mbs instead of 35 mbs at 4k.

Upscaling tech also make this easier than ever to catch on, no need for 8k content or console to even exist (it is not like 4k made much sense with the compression tech and bandwidth used for it), just have fancy tv really good at upscaling 4k to 8k and up you go.

It could take a very long time, it is a lot of pixel and quality per pixels-bittrate-better graphic at lower resolution from console and so on will continue to have priority would be my guess.

Back