when is pci express coming out?

onearmedscissor

Weaksauce
does anyone know when pci express motherboards will be available to buy separately? i see that only alienware has them right now. thanks.

Yeah they are already out but don't get one unless you wanna buy really exspensive video cards that don't live up to the agp potential. And i don't think pci express will be standard and actually have good cards for about a year.

1 month ago...
PCI-Express is very new, and seeing as how there is a spectacular shortage of PCI-Express devices, I wouldn't be buying anything in this first generation. Wait a while before PCI-Express becomes widespread.

BillLeeLee said:
1 month ago...
PCI-Express is very new, and seeing as how there is a spectacular shortage of PCI-Express devices, I wouldn't be buying anything in this first generation. Wait a while before PCI-Express becomes widespread.
I agree. There isn't a performance difference anyway.

NO reason whatsoever to buy PCI-E IMO.

what is PCI-Express??? it seems im sorta out of the loop on the latest things comming out.....

PCI Express is the answer to a world of increasingly bandwidth hungry PCI devices. The PCI bus on systems today is only 33 Mhz, and maximum transfer on the entire PCI bus is only 133 MB/s. This lack of bandwidth is what prompted the need for AGP ports for graphics cards years back.

PCI Express is a serial device interface, and (I believe) each device gets its own independent bandwidth lane, and the basic specification is 250 MB/s one way. This can be scaled by adding more data transfer lanes - PCI Express video cards are x16, which theoretically means 8 GB/s (4 GB/s one way).

Back