What's the point in changing AGP frequency

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
I've noticed that some mobo's allow user to change agp frequency in the rangeof 66 to 99Mhz but does it actually do anything? And is it possible to damage video card by messing with frequencies on agp slot?

Hey guys, help this dude out, cause i would like to Know if it's such an impact to change the AGP Frequency, I 've done it before but i can't tell any differrence. So what's up.

I suppose it would let you send more data, but the data bandwidth would only be saturated with a video card which needs a high AGP speed than you have. So if you have a 4xAGP motherboard and you have a new 8xAGP video card then if you put up the frequency it might help.

Thats just a guess though, i think normally it doesnt make a difference.

lol
DO NOT MESS WITH THE AGP/PCI SPEED!!!

because agp and pci are connected
agp = 2 * pci
and because your harddrives are on pci if you mess with the speed it can seriously corrupt your windows install
always have it at 66/33 or fixed,
please read you motherboard manual on how to do this or just use the defaults

if you got a dell,gateway,hp, etc chances are you can't do this.

Certain motherboards allow you to change them independently. and its not a good idea to overclock your PCI bus. My lovleh Asus motherboard has a seperate AGP frequency.

Hehe mine KT266 Shuttle mobo unfortunatly doesn't:D so don't worry i'm not changind those frequencies.
But I noticed that some mobos has that feature while I was trying to decide which cpu+mobo should I buy and I started wondering does it have any sense or is just a marketing crap.

Well, when I had a GF2mx, boosting the AGP from 66 to 100 gave me a bit of a performance boost (maybe 10% on 3dmark). Granted this was a 2x card, so the extra bandwidth was probably more usefull..

As for the HDDs, I was running SCSI on an Adaptec card, and it didn't mind the change in PCI bus speeds.

Back