What's the most points you received for a single work unit?

lorelei

Weaksauce
Finished a WU today that gave 2,009 points, I was like whoah totally radical dude. Especially because I built my last computer over 2 years ago :(

16ihzdt.jpg

So what's the most points you've noticed for a single WU?

I had one the other day that netted me 80,715 points :D

Largest I've personally seen is the -bigadv A3 I have 17hrs left on, at 61,119 points including bonus.

Normal WU's the largest ones I've seen are around 3.5k (like the 6050 standard A3 my i7-1 is chugging now).

I hope that one doesn't get lost! Amazing amount of points :)

So are those big pointers the extra temperamental ones or large ones that need to be finished super quickly?

Yup, my folding rig gets around 60200 or so for a 2684 A3 bigadv, but it also takes almost 4 days to complete. As for regular A3 work units using just advmethods, I believe my folding rig got 9995 points from a single 6040 work unit. However, that is a monster of a work unit that ends up being 66megs when it uploads.

I can't believe how much folding has improved these days. When I first folded for SETI in 2001, I'm pretty sure it was CPU client only, and took forever to finish one unit!

Would be cool if cell phones start folding in the future, considering games on them will soon have 3D graphics. But I guess battery life would be decimated and they would light your purse on fire! So maybe not...

I hope that one doesn't get lost! Amazing amount of points :)

So are those big pointers the extra temperamental ones or large ones that need to be finished super quickly?

Kind of both (depending on WU).

The A2 bigadv yield between 50-55k with bonus depending on completion time (usually a 3.6ghz i7 w/HT will give you 55k pretty easily). Roughly 2.5 days from start to finish, around 30-35min TPF. A2's run fairly sturdy, as long as you close the client properly and/or suspend the VM, you won't lose them.

A3 bigadv (the new ones...2684), they run around 60-62k with bonus. 45-50min TPF, take 3.5-4 days. And if you eyeball them wrong, they will crash and flush on you at the drop of a hat....majority of us have issues with them, or we're too scared to use the machine so we leave them alone and they finish. :D I've had 1 fail around 12%, and another finish. Assuming my other one finishes tomorrow, that will be the 2nd one I've had finish. (At this point I'm probably around the 50 mark of completed A2's, if not slightly higher).

I have taken my primary down (no more VM...running dedicated Win SMP2 client). Once i7-2 finishes it's A3, I'm planning on shutting down the VM and switching it over to Win SMP as well. (and just play the waiting game until bigadv pops up in Win SMP...until then I'll deal with the better stability of normal A3's and eat the couple K ppd loss)
The loss of time/days and points if a 2684 crashes is almost not worth the risk. Sure you only get around 15-18k PPD on normal A3's on a 3.6ghz i7 w/HT, but tally up 3-4 days and you break even almost with an A3 bigadv in a VM.

We're hoping (or praying? both?) that when -bigadv gets to the Win SMP client, they run a lot better than the current *nix/VM ones do because they are too temperamental. :eek: There's a 50/50 shot your VM will get a hardy A2 or a pissy A3....I'm almost too scared to deal with the A3's at this point in time. :eek: I've had a VM finish an A2 and grab an A3, and I've had one finish an A3 and grab another A3. It's anyone's guess at this point how many A2's are left and what you'll grab. :(

The most points I ever got for a single WU was around 70k for completing an A2 bigadv. I switched from Windows to Linux for a few days and my i7-980x was just chewing them up and spitting them out like crazy.

However I need to use Windows so I'm running virtual machines to get the A2 bigadvs and am dealing with the stuff that zero2dash mentions.

Thanks for all the info, Zero!

I seem to lose WU's myself every now and then after restarting or closing the clients in order to play a game, but those only take like 1 day to finish on the CPU client, and only a few hours to finish on the GPU client, so it's not too bad. I only have an E8400 and 9800GTX+ anyway :p

I also seem to get unstable machine errors in the GPU client, but if I restart it, it works again right away. I'm not too sure what's up with that. On the bright side, I never seem to lose a WU on the CPU client unless I close it.

I switched from Windows to Linux for a few days and my i7-980x was just chewing them up and spitting them out like crazy.

That's really interesting...Which distro were you using or do all have such good results? Right now I just have 1 desktop (and I absolutely require Windows on it) and 1 netbook which can't fold a piece of paper. So folding with Linux isn't viable for me right now, but maybe in the future I can run a farm on Linux like ol' MacDonald.

highest point total i saw was for a 6041 A3 WU which was 6705 points.. sounds like a lot but actually dropped my PPD from 6800 to 5300 because the WU took 2+ days instead of the normal 11 hours for the smaller WU's which i avg'd 2500-2800 points for..

That's really interesting...Which distro were you using or do all have such good results? Right now I just have 1 desktop (and I absolutely require Windows on it) and 1 netbook which can't fold a piece of paper. So folding with Linux isn't viable for me right now, but maybe in the future I can run a farm on Linux like ol' MacDonald.

I used Ubuntu 9.10 to fold for a week. Afterward I was informed on how it did not fold as well as 9.04 but it worked for me. :D

67k or so on my dual E5530 rig for an A3 bigadv. It takes a little under 3 days to finish one.

I think I know what penis envy is now...My units are very very tiny in comparison :(

On another note, for some reason I can hear MJ's Thriller being blasted outside, and a bunch a kids are screaming...wtf...

Back