Whats the fastest CPU for me?

NeoNemesis

2[H]4U
My CPU is getting kind of old and tired and I'm looking for something to replace it in the near future. The thing is I don't really have the money to replace my motherboard at them moment so I want something that is compatible with the ASUS P4P800 I currently own, and if possible something that will work with whatever socket 775 motherboard I decide to pick up in the future.

At the moment I'm actually more interested in what my options are then the actual cost of the processor and would probably find it more useful to know what the most powerful compatible CPU is. From there it shouldn't be much trouble to work backwards to find the one that best fits my needs.

A better cpu will cost as much as a new chip and board. You can get a P4 505 or 506, set the FSB close to or equal to 200MHz (Resulting in a 4ghz chip) and I'm sure any cheap Abit board will allow this to run nicely.

I think the fastest S478 CPU's are the 3.4C, 3.4E, and I think a 3.4EE. Also, seeing as you have an Asus board, a Pentium M 780 (2.26Ghz) with a CT-479 adapter.

What exactly are your needs?

You'r 2.4C should be able to hit 3.2ghz no problem. Have you tried/considered overclocking?

acascianelli said:
You'r 2.4C should be able to hit 3.2ghz no problem. Have you tried/considered overclocking?

YEP, mine hits 3.6Ghz+ for benchmarking, 24/7 use & heavy gaming (just not Prime95 stable).

Though I normally run it at 3.45Ghz b/c its dual prime stable at that speed at default voltage, and with the high FSB (memory bandwidth) it pretty much performs like a 3.4EE.

the 3.4EE :p

realistically, the 3.4C or 3.4E. the prices on those have been jacked up, so look on ebay.

I've seen some 3.2EE selling for cheap, those shouldn't have a problem hitting 3.4+

lithium726 said:
the 3.4EE :p

realistically, the 3.4C or 3.4E. the prices on those have been jacked up, so look on ebay.

3.2EE's have been selling A LOT cheaper lately. Brand new OEM chips on pricewatch are like $500 (still expensive, but better than $800-1000 like before!) And are selling like $300-400 on ebay.

But I think he just needs to overclock his 2.4C. (FREE)

He could maybe buy a 3.2C (about $200) as those aren't priced as high as the 3.4C's. (like $250)

I wouldn't recommend a 3.4E as those put off too much heat.

NeoNemesis said:
and if possible something that will work with whatever socket 775 motherboard I decide to pick up in the future.

No such animal, your MB is s478, and there is as of yet no way to use a s478 CPU in a s775 MB, and even if someone did make an adaptor, I would not recommend using it, a new MB would be cheaper and better.

If you are getting a new MB anyway, consider an AMD X2. I expect I will eventually get a Pentium D myself, but an X2 it tempting too.

==>Lazn

NeoNemesis said:
Thanks for the info, I'll give OC'ing a shot and let you know the results.

You might have 1Ghz + of clock potential that has been sitting unused / wasted!!

Get to work!! BTW, I updated my stresstest screenshot at 3.45Ghz with my new temps since I put in an XP-90C.

Ok then, I've got her up to about 2.94GHz, anything higher then that and it becomes unstable. I suspect its the ram as the cpu is 33 when idle and is peaking at about 48 under heavy load. Any suggestions as to what I can do to improve this?

don't be afraid of the memory dividers, they're your friends.... trust me...

I use 3:2 ratio. I can get up to about 3.4Ghz with 5:4 divider, but my benches are better at 3.45-3.6Ghz with 3:2 ratio.

before doing anything you got to find out what revision your mobo is, what faster processor it is capable of handling.

Back