What's it gonnatake to run WoW @ 60fps in Dalaran?!

My current rig is a few years old:

e8400 stock
8800gt
4x1gb PC6400
Fortron 600W PSU

When i upgraded a couple years ago that hardware was considered fast at the time. WoW is a 5 year old game and still runs poorly in the big cities.What kind of rig is it gonna take to run this game at 60FPS with close to maxed out settings @ 1900x1200 on a 24"LCD?

I've heard the game is "cpu-intensive" and i finally made the movie from an east coast server to a Los Angeles server miles from my home. The ping has obviously gotten better but i had hoped the previous high ping was part of my performance issues and it barely helped.

Is an upgrade worthwhile, not for just WoW but newer games as well. Most notably Dragon Age which i'll be playing soon.

I have heard no hardware will change the lag in Dalaran

IIRC something to do with memory leaks from having a major city up so high on the Y axis or something?

I did not recall Dragon Age taxing my CPU too heavily either, more GPU intensive.

You would probably be better off overclocking your 8400 to 3.6+ and getting a ~$150-200 VC like a 4870/4890/5850 or 260/275.

what kind of benchmarks are there for WOW?

start by doing that then overclock your cpu and let us know what results you get

Right now with my Sig below. everything maxed out 1920X1200 4xSSAA (super sampling) 16xAF at 4-6pm dalaran I get around 35-45fps.

I would expect if you had 2 5870's in xfire you would get close to 60fps.

I have heard no hardware will change the lag in Dalaran

IIRC something to do with memory leaks from having a major city up so high on the Y axis or something?

I did not recall Dragon Age taxing my CPU too heavily either, more GPU intensive.

You would probably be better off overclocking your 8400 to 3.6+ and getting a ~$150-200 VC like a 4870/4890/5850 or 260/275.

I never lag in Dalaran. I might dip around 30ps sometimes, but thats about it.

You know, one thing that people often overlook when it comes to WoW performance is your hard drive. Unless you are entering an instance or a BG, etc you are going to be loading everything around you on-the-fly. That means you can port into or turn the corner in a big city and then all of a sudden BAM you are loading textures for 50+ people at the exact same time.

There is a reason WoW has been one of the few games that actually performed better on workstation/server SCSI drives than consumer drives (even including the raptor); it will unpredictably access many separate files simultaneously. For this same reason, playing WoW on an SSD is even more fantastic. I can easily say that upgrading to an SSD is the single biggest upgrade you can do to your WoW gameplay experience unless your CPU is just straight-up ancient.

Interesting post Rice. Thanks.
I am going to have to check this out...

Right now with my Sig below. everything maxed out 1920X1200 4xSSAA (super sampling) 16xAF at 4-6pm dalaran I get around 35-45fps.

I would expect if you had 2 5870's in xfire you would get close to 60fps.

WoW is very strange when it comes to performance. Back when I played, a lot of people were having FPS problems with some seriously high end hardware for months after a certain patch was released, of course Blizzard deleted all the threads on the problem. I had an issue where WoW would never utilize more than 75% of my GPU, no matter what the frame rates in game were doing, and so rarely stayed at 60fps.

my 2 year old laptop run WoW on High Details easy in dalaran on a semi crowded server, its all usually upto the lags, wow has quite low pref req's but they have bandwidth issues alot

Back