whatever happened to DPI?

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
my IBM T210 died yesterday and im looking for a replacement, but every LCD i find has really crappy resolutions (20" and 1600x1050? really? wtf?)

the only displays with any sort of resoltion worth mentioning are the 30" panels but they are soooooo fricken huge...

are there any options left? or am i going to have to dig out a CRT?

Are you looking for something 4:3?

widescreen seems to be the "standard" these days now:
If you want screen area go for a 24" 1920x1200, not to mention it can double as a full 1080p hdtv if you want

Are you looking for something 4:3?

widescreen seems to be the "standard" these days now:
If you want screen area go for a 24" 1920x1200, not to mention it can double as a full 1080p hdtv if you want

i dont care about aspect ratio, im just looking for DPI... i have some 24" LCD's at work, and 1920x1200 is "OK" but looking at one i just see pixles lol

im almost considering paying the $500 to have somone look at my T210 cause 2048x1536 in a 20" panel was soooo nice...

i just cant believe that nobody makes high resolution displays anymore :(

DPI and resolution are not the same. Monitors are about at the DPI that everyone find usable with about being too small.

I was a little concerned about going from a crt with 1920x1440 @ 18" viewable to the same horizontal res on a 24" lcd. Turns out it doesn't really make a difference to me. Many things about the lcd annoy me but dpi isn't one of them.

The Lenovo L220x is a 22" @ 1920x1200. It's about the best you can get aside from the 30" displays as far as DPI goes. Shame no one has put out any displays to fill the roles of those older IBMs. 200DPI was mighty impressive on the T221.

The Iiyama ProLite H530-B is about the same as your T210 but its fairly old and most likely hard to find. Not to mention the awful contrast of 300:1 and the 50ms response times.

With the 30" you have to move it even further away from you to use so its like having even better DPI than the display offers if your willing to spend ~$2000. I'd recommend the NEC LCD3090WQXi if you are going to go down that path.

What you need is a HP LP2065.

20" 4:3 monitor with 1600x1200

s-ips, off course :)

You could upgrade to the T221 (or the identical one that Viewsonic offered) if you manage to find one...22.2" widescreen! Only other monitor I can think of that has a decent DPI is SGI's 1600SW, but that would be a downgrade for you.

You could upgrade to the T221 (or the identical one that Viewsonic offered) if you manage to find one...22.2" widescreen! Only other monitor I can think of that has a decent DPI is SGI's 1600SW, but that would be a downgrade for you.

i WISH i could get a T221, but they are rarely on ebay and even then they go for so much money... :(

There are no cheap consumer displays with a DPI as high as the T210 other than the laptop displays. Most people have vision issues as they don't adjust the OS' DPI and complain that text is too small. So we have the trend of ever larger monitors with lower resolutions that make text look bigger at 'normal' OS font sizes (i.e. normal DPI which is pegged at 72DPI for Windows XP).

I have a laptop with 15" ~132 DPI display, I love it. With Vista getting the fonts to look the right size is easy and text is noticeably sharp compared to my ~92 DPI 24 LCD.

Once we hit 200DPI and tablet displays, reading a monitor will be as stress free as reading paper.

See http://www.raydreams.com/Prog/DPI.aspx and http://www.istartedsomething.com/20061211/vista-dpi-scaling/

i WISH i could get a T221, but they are rarely on ebay and even then they go for so much money... :(
Yeah, I've always wanted one too...half of the ones that I've seen on ebay have problems unfortunately.
Once we hit 200DPI and tablet displays, reading a monitor will be as stress free as reading paper.
That T221 I mentioned is 204 DPI. :p

Yeah, I've always wanted one too...half of the ones that I've seen on ebay have problems unfortunately.

That T221 I mentioned is 204 DPI. :p

All we need is a that screen on a tablet then (so that it is easy to continually adjust reading distance and angles like a book.)

Back