What'd be good to slide between video cards?

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Long story short, I have two video cards that by virtue of the slot layout and other cards also in the system, they are forced to touch each other along their lengths. This means they kind of heat each other up, etc. I'm looking for suggestions on some kind of "card" I can slide between them that won't melt but won't really conduct heat either. This won't really block their fans because the fans pull air from the end of the card, not the side. I also have fans directly blowing on them from their top (side of case) but I'd still like a little more seperation. Any ideas for a type of material?

I doubt anything you could wedge in there is going to make any real difference. If you get something that insulates one card from the other, it will just cause the heat to be insulated in the card that produced it instead...if that makes sense.

Pencil eraser

Not a bad idea. Air is a pretty good insulator. I dont know the melting point of pencil rubber though. I know modern GPU's can get pretty hot. Maybe an eraser sized piece of graphite? (pencils got me on the idea) or a nut (that is a metal nut as in for a bolt get your mind out of the gutter), no risk that would melt in your system.

Not a bad idea. Air is a pretty good insulator. I dont know the melting point of pencil rubber though. I know modern GPU's can get pretty hot. Maybe an eraser sized piece of graphite? (pencils got me on the idea) or a nut (that is a metal nut as in for a bolt get your mind out of the gutter), no risk that would melt in your system.

The problem with graphite or a nut is that they are both conductors, which means that you have instead the risk of shorting out something and have a very dead card in your hands.

As for the melting point of the rubber, it shouldn't matter unless you put it specifically on the gpu, as that is where the heat will be concentrated. In any case i can't vouch for this but:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_boiling_point_of_an_eraser

Back