What would disallow a BIOS from being flashed?

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
What would disallow a BIOS from being flashed?

All of a sudden I can't update flash BIOs on both of my rigs? How could this be?
I tried a different flash card and USB drive and still the no go.
It is FAT32.
I even clean formatted it and put one of the last 3 versions of the Bios and none of them work.
Tried a different card didn't work.
The bios file is uncompressed and exported as a normal file also.

The PC just won't restart after it attempts to flash it. It just turns off and stays off. Usually the PC restarts automatically I've never had this issue.
Both rigs have the same behavior lol it's amazing.
What am I missing? Forgetting? My mind is boggled.
What could it be?

It's a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master trying to update it.

Are you trying to install the Master X bios instead of the regular? I did that stupidly when updating my sons PC, worked fine once I got the correct one going. Only asking because that's the exact thing his PC did when I was attempting to install the incorrect Bios version. Gave me no info as to why it was failing.

Are you trying to install the Master X bios instead of the regular? I did that stupidly when updating my sons PC, worked fine once I got the correct one going. Only asking because that's the exact thing his PC did when I was attempting to install the incorrect Bios version. Gave me no info as to why it was failing.
I am trying to install the Aorus Master Z790 BIOS. I have 2 of them and both won't flash. I even have one of them flashed to F10 when the other one won't flash to the same bios . Using the same USB drive that I've always used that works.

Last edited:
Should I do this?

This is what is required for the BIOS flashback feature:

1. Create an MSDOS (MBR) partition table - this is probably what you mean by returning to its original state. I believe Windows 10 defaults to a GPT partition table. I can confirm that this will not work with BIOS flashback.
  2. Create a single FAT32 partition
  3. Rename the BIOS file MSI.ROM and copy it to the USB flash drive.
  4. Plug ATX and CPU power cables into motherboard. Don't connect a CPU, GPU, or RAM.
  5. Plug flash drive into the designated USB port (see manual, back panel shows a white box around the correct port - it's next to the BIOS flashback button)
  6. Turn on the PSU and press the BIOS flashback button. If it works, it'll repeatedly flash red for a few minutes and you'll see activitiy on the USB drive. If it dosen't work, it'll flash red for a few seconds and then turn off (this is what happens with a GPT partition table).

Should I do this?
No. BIOS flashback should only be attempted when absolutely necessary. E.g. to try to correct a bad flash, or if the system won't POST because the current BIOS version doesn't support the CPU you have installed.

Try a different flash drive formatted to FAT32 using normal Q-Flash. I always recommend loading optimized defaults before you flash a BIOS too. If it's still doing this behavior you explained (seems to flash normally then just powers off?) I would recommend contacting Gigabyte support.

So it seems to complete the flash successfully but then turns off instead of restarting and when you power it back up it comes back up as the previous bios version still?

I know that certain motherboards require the Intel Management Engine firmware to be updated prior to the bios being updated. Have you looked into that?

The bios file is uncompressed and exported as a normal file also. What is a normal file? Bios are .bin files. Try turning off TPM before flashing.

If you have a dual bios switch, and you're on the secondary for some reason, it might do this. Gigabyte likes you to be on a primary for updates and then restarts and does the secondary. OR, its completely shit itself on the first one and is defaulting to the backup automatically, which is why you're seeing the old BIOS after it was "complete".

Be careful, you can brick your board like this. I've had to reprogram the BIOS on several Gigabyte boards with an external CH341 tool.

GB not have an option to do it from within the bios? its been a few years since i touched a GB board....

No. BIOS flashback should only be attempted when absolutely necessary. E.g. to try to correct a bad flash, or if the system won't POST because the current BIOS version doesn't support the CPU you have installed.

Try a different flash drive formatted to FAT32 using normal Q-Flash. I always recommend loading optimized defaults before you flash a BIOS too. If it's still doing this behavior you explained (seems to flash normally then just powers off?) I would recommend contacting Gigabyte support.
I did all of these things and no go. Tried calling but busy left a callback number. Let's see what they say when they call back.

So it seems to complete the flash successfully but then turns off instead of restarting and when you power it back up it comes back up as the previous bios version still?
Yes it says bios update unsuccessful.

It won't restart. It says it will restart but it doesn't it just turns off. Then I need to hit the power button to cold boot every time. It just won't restart. After manual boot it hits me with the error message.

The bios file is uncompressed and exported as a normal file also. What is a normal file? Bios are .bin files. Try turning off TPM before flashing.
I tried turning off tpm and nothing changed.

The damn PC won't restart during the bios update. It just turns off and stays off.

I uncompressed it. I tried hitting properties on the file to see what type it is but it doesn't say?

If you have a dual bios switch, and you're on the secondary for some reason, it might do this. Gigabyte likes you to be on a primary for updates and then restarts and does the secondary. OR, its completely shit itself on the first one and is defaulting to the backup automatically, which is why you're seeing the old BIOS after it was "complete".

Be careful, you can brick your board like this. I've had to reprogram the BIOS on several Gigabyte boards with an external CH341 tool.
It doesn't have a dual bios.
It's crazy how I have two different PCs with the same Aorus Master Z790 motherboard and both act the same way. One Has F9 bios the other has F10 bios. This is so weird. . .

It just freezes exactly like this every time. Nesesitating a manual restart.
Both rigs do the same thing. On different bios versions. How in the fawk could this be???
IMG_20231030_174804639.jpg
IMG_20231030_174804639.jpg

I can tell from the screenshots your bios updates are not consecutive. F10->12a is not consecutive. Try 11 first.

I hope you find a way to resolve this OP!!

Maybe reach out to Gigabyte support??

- This is VERY weird and something I've never even heard of before..

According to GB website the F12A is a beta and it's possibly wonky. Like others suggested try a previous version that's not beta. F12A checksum is correct so likely an issue with the bios itself.

HUZZAH! Glad you finally got this resolved sir

(I actually used @ BIOS wayyyy back in the P55 / i5-750 days myself without issue)

HUZZAH! Glad you finally got this resolved sir

(I actually used @ BIOS wayyyy back in the P55 / i5-750 days myself without issue)
The best part of all of this?

@ BIOS works like a charm! Any gigabyte Z790 board can auto update with @ BIOS. Heck it even does it automatically. It finds your board, then the correct newest update, and automatically installs it. USB stick bullshit? Get outta here ain't nobody got time for that lol. Always used @ BIOS for years and now back to using it from now on. The auto bios updates are just so luxurious just press one button.

The best part of all of this?

@ BIOS works like a charm! Any gigabyte Z790 board can auto update with @ BIOS. Heck it even does it automatically. It finds your board, then the correct newest update, and automatically installs it. USB stick bullshit? Get outta here ain't nobody got time for that lol. Always used @ BIOS for years and now back to using it from now on. The auto bios updates are just so luxurious just press one button.

Gigabyte had always been a little weird with updates, I have a Z790 Gaming AX and I could only get it updated by putting the file in the root of the C drive. It refused to see it at all from any usb lol

At least you got it done, hopefully with your hair intact and not all pulled out

Gigabyte had always been a little weird with updates, I have a Z790 Gaming AX and I could only get it updated by putting the file in the root of the C drive. It refused to see it at all from any usb lol

At least you got it done, hopefully with your hair intact and not all pulled out
A lot of asrock boards used to do that. You couldn't pick it would scan and then give you choices.

Back