What will be the Next game that will take over the graphics crown?

HardLiner

Gawd
I know graphics aren't everything that makes a good game but I'm just curious if there are any games on the horizon the will be better looking than BF3/Crysis?

The only game with an concrete details/release/information/footage/etc. is probably Metro: The Last Light late this year or early next year.

Speculative possibilities would be Crysis 3 (announced), CnC: Generals 2 (announced), Mirrors Edge 2 (rumored), Bad Company 3 (rumored), Just Cause 3 (not announced but being worked on), Company of Heroes 2 (announced), new CDPR game (possibly announced tomorrow), STALKER 2 (if it releases), or whatever game first uses Unreal 4. Although for the RTS games you might need to consider context and scope when comparing to FPS (or third) games.

The only game with an concrete details/release/information/footage/etc. is probably Metro: The Last Light late this year or early next year.

Speculative possibilities would be Crysis 3 (announced), CnC: Generals 2 (announced), Mirrors Edge 2 (rumored), Bad Company 3 (rumored), Just Cause 3 (not announced but being worked on), Company of Heroes 2 (announced), new CDPR game (possibly announced tomorrow), STALKER 2 (if it releases), or whatever game first uses Unreal 4. Although for the RTS games you might need to consider context and scope when comparing to FPS (or third) games.

I agree with Metro: Last Light being the only game we know of that could definitely take the crown.

Crysis 3 with the new engine? Maybe. Depends on how hard they push it for PC.

Just Cause 3... with as good as the last game looked, possibly.

However, I don't know if BF3 is what I would compare things against since, truthfully, it wasn't "amazingly incredible", IMO. With everything completely cranked in BF3, while it looked good, I don't think it looked "phenomenal" by any means. I know a lot of people who agree, some don't, either way... just think it's way over-hyped. Even for games released roughly around that time, I think in terms of environmental detail and lighting that Hard Reset looked far more impressive.

Unreal 4, yeah... definitely would say whom ever snags it first and pushes it hardest would probably take the crown, from what I've seen of it thus far.

Also, as mentioned, taking into consideration other genres, such as RTS, with size and scope. Good point to make.

Oh, and as for the "graphics aren't everything" statement... no, while they're "not everything", they do matter since gaming is a visual medium. The more impressive/realistic etc. the visuals, the more immersive the experience. So, yes, they do matter for the most part.

Unless you're just enjoying the aesthetics and gameplay of something like Terraria or Minecraft. Nothing wrong with that either.

We're nearing that point where we start to see real diminishing gains in terms of visual fidelity, just because it's possible to approximate real-world materials and lighting pretty convincingly. Frostbite 2's lighting model is basically there in terms of its approximations, and with the right post-processing and anti-aliasing, cinema-quality rendering is within grasp, at least practically speaking. I don't expect Crysis 3 will be the next big visual feast: you're probably looking at Last Light for that, as mentioned. Beyond that, it's tough to say. UE4-powered games won't be able to flex much muscle until the next console generation. Doom 4 is unlikely to surpass Last Light in the ways most people seem to care about.

I'm not so sure. A big problem is people. They still don't look or act like like people. They don't move like people. Lips don't move when they're speaking (let alone well enough for someone to lip-read) etc. Faces, clothes, skin, etc, don't look real, even when they're digitised copies of real people. these are, of course, computationally non-trivial issues.

Nothing terribly mainstream like Crysis 3 for sure, it will be up to the smaller development studios who are passionate about games and graphics to provide us with something jaw dropping, graphics just aren't worth the ROI, all that money goes towards more advertising these days.

I'm on board with Metro 2033 last light probably becoming the next standard benchmark, with its heavy focus on real time dynamic lighting and shadows because of the nature of the game, mixed with the high amount of detail you can cram in to small enclosed areas like that, it's a winning formula for high fidelity graphics.

The studio that uses the Unreal 4 engine to make a PC exclusive title will take the crown. :D

I would much rather they work on eliminating input lag and work on better physics than graphics quality at this point. Graphic technology is advanced enough...

Metro 2033 last light looks awesome, do you think Arma 3 will be any good?

The only reason I'll be getting Arma 3 is to play an updated version of DayZ on it :p. Who knows, with the graphics it has and the new mechanics, I might actually play regular multiplayer on it but most likely not, I'm addicted to DayZ.

Definitely Metro Last Light.

Some screenshots:

fBG3p.jpg

jf8RS.jpg

WxOmS.jpg

EW2lS.jpg

GGUcv.jpg

And a little video you should make sure to watch in 720p: Metro Last Light gameplay video.

They sure seem to spend a huge amount of computational resources to render a world that's so dark you can't see much of anything.

I'm hoping Crysis 3 will not be garbage. I wish there were more PC games being developed. I tried the whole console thing and I couldn't do it. Graphics on consoles always seem sub-par to me and I seem to beat every console game in the first two days of ownership.

We're nearing that point where we start to see real diminishing gains in terms of visual fidelity, just because it's possible to approximate real-world materials and lighting pretty convincingly. Frostbite 2's lighting model is basically there in terms of its approximations, and with the right post-processing and anti-aliasing, cinema-quality rendering is within grasp, at least practically speaking. I don't expect Crysis 3 will be the next big visual feast: you're probably looking at Last Light for that, as mentioned. Beyond that, it's tough to say. UE4-powered games won't be able to flex much muscle until the next console generation. Doom 4 is unlikely to surpass Last Light in the ways most people seem to care about.

This. I completely agree. As we progress here we should see pretty small developments in terms of visual gameplay. Hopefully game creators will focus less on pushing boundaries of graphics engines and put more effort into making a decent story coupled with some decent gameplay.

Soon here we should see some pretty innovative ways to play video games as well

wonder what you need to max this shit out

Well, if Metro 2033's release was any indication... more then we have now. :p

--

It seems Metro Last Light is the unanimous winner. I'm hoping Far Cry 3 looks decent, but I'm not expecting it to set any new fidelity bars. With Crytek's focus on optimizing for console, I doubt Crysis 3 will produce the kind of graphics card squealing that Crysis did. I think it will look impressive, don't get me wrong, but not awe inspiring like Metro 2033 was at release.

I'm hoping the next-gen consoles will foster improvements in all areas of development: graphics, animations, audio and enemy AI just to name a few... AND make development for PC less of a disappointment. BF3 set a new standard for animation that I would love to see trickle into all new titles. The thought of Mirror's Edge 2 on an updated Frostbite 2 makes me very happy. Eidos' next foray into the Deus Ex franchise on UE4 would also put a big fat lustful smirk on my face. :D

I would much rather they work on eliminating input lag and work on better physics than graphics quality at this point. Graphic technology is advanced enough...

Agreed, fix the hit reg on the shooters and the input lag in general. This is why games can't be competitive anymore!

Who cares who will take the crown in graphics...GIVE ME GAMEPLAY...I havent played a good game in decades on PC...

Who cares who will take the crown in graphics...GIVE ME GAMEPLAY...I havent played a good game in decades on PC...

This thread is specifically about graphics, yet you post about not giving a shit about graphcis.

Well done, sir.

Yes bc all we are getting are tech demos...But anyways all the new games look pretty similar in graphics havent seen anything with a huge leap yet.

Probably going to be last light, but we could also get surprised. I think intense graphics are now actually the realm of under dogs trying to make a name for themself in the gaming industry. Crysis was like that and it booted up a franchise but once they staked their claim to fame they didnt bother to really keep up the standard. BF3 is also nice but I see them as trying hard to carve out a niche when COD has the realistic shooter pretty dominated.

So my point is that I really think another game will just surprise us from out of the blue, maybe something totally new, or maybe an old game that has lost its fan base and is looking to make waves again, could be a new unreal or quake game.

Metro Last Light for sure, can't wait for that one.

Possibly Doom 4 or HL 3.

judging by those metro screenshots, and the previous game, it should be damn impressive in 3d. can't wait to see it.

valve are clearly showing with their latest betas that they have 0 interest in 3d, so sadly they're out of the race.

Back