What were your favorite Speakers?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Mine were the Altec Lansing speakers that came with my Dell bundle back in 1998 or so.
They just sounded good with Quake. My next favorite set are the Logitech 623s but my Edifiers sound better than those do but don't have the same character.

Altec Lansings man, total classic! I remember playing C&C with those bad boys 😅

Also have fond memories of some Creative speakers I had (can't remember the model name), but they were my first foray into 5.1 surround sound.

I can't remember the model number or anything, but they were a Cambridge Soundworks set with a subwoofer. I remember teenaged me being startled by the roar that erupted from my chaingun in Starsiege Tribes the first time I used them.

Wonder if these are any get yet people are just giving them on ebay even though they are 26 years old.

s-l1600.png

Early 20s me though my Logitech Z-5500's were the bomb. They weren't but they did have bass for days.

My current Genelecs. They just sound soooo nice and natural. I also like their tech-y look.
Those are some sweet monitors!

I liked my KEF LS50 Metas but found my end game with my Adam Audio A7V monitors. I love these speakers. Need to do some cable clean up, tho.

PXL_20240207_173605913.jpg

Last edited:
The O.G. Alesis Monitor One's and Two's from 90's vintage. They were cheap, not very flat, but sounded great when amped hard.

Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 digital system DTT 3500. Shit was awesome. Came in a huge box. All black with a control deck. Sounds better than most speakers today. This was in 2002.

I'm looking a Genlecs 8030 and 8020s wonder if they would sound better than my Edifiers I took out my Z623s Logitech they suck compared to my 350DBs.

I would need a VZR splitter to connect them to my PC.

Speakers in general, Kef is my "go to" brand. I've owned a couple sets of their home speakers and have heard them used in a few car audio, sound quality, installs and I love them.

Another favorite is Scanspeak, specifically the Revelators.

For computer speakers, in 2001 I bought a Sony Vaio PC at Circuit City and it came with a set of Sony powered 2.0 speakers. They weren't audiophile quality but I always thought they sounded great, a lot better than you'd think. I still have them too lol

I'm looking a Genlecs 8030 and 8020s wonder if they would sound better than my Edifiers I took out my Z623s Logitech they suck compared to my 350DBs.

I would need a VZR splitter to connect them to my PC.
I haven't heard the 8020s but the 8030s are great. They get a real nice flat, neutral, sound and go lower than you'd expect from their size. They are smaller than normal, on account of their aluminium body. It is super rigid, and can be formed in to curved shapes, so lets them push down the size of the speak and still maintain the performance. One thing that Genelecs are really good at that you don't tend to see tested in most reviews is controlled dispersion. I don't know if they have it on their site but they'll send you their spinorama data if you ask, though knowing how to interpret it can take some learning. Basically, they do a good job of making their sound go from omnidirectional at low frequencies to more narrow at high frequencies in a smooth fashion. The net result is that the speakers tend to sound good in any room, and good even if not perfectly on axis. When speakers have messed up dispersion patterns they can look good on a FR graph, but just never sound that great in reality until you have a very well dampened room and are sitting perfectly on axis, because the FR graph is only valid on axis.

At any rate, it always depends on what you want in a speaker, of course, but I just love Genelec. Pricey, but they do the job real well. They even sound good in my regular-ass untreated room. I used to have a nice studio, but concessions had to be made moving in with my girlfriend :)

Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 digital system DTT 3500. Shit was awesome. Came in a huge box. All black with a control deck. Sounds better than most speakers today. This was in 2002.
I had those speakers back in 2001 with my AMD Athlon 1 GHz build.

I haven't heard the 8020s but the 8030s are great. They get a real nice flat, neutral, sound and go lower than you'd expect from their size. They are smaller than normal, on account of their aluminium body. It is super rigid, and can be formed in to curved shapes, so lets them push down the size of the speak and still maintain the performance. One thing that Genelecs are really good at that you don't tend to see tested in most reviews is controlled dispersion. I don't know if they have it on their site but they'll send you their spinorama data if you ask, though knowing how to interpret it can take some learning. Basically, they do a good job of making their sound go from omnidirectional at low frequencies to more narrow at high frequencies in a smooth fashion. The net result is that the speakers tend to sound good in any room, and good even if not perfectly on axis. When speakers have messed up dispersion patterns they can look good on a FR graph, but just never sound that great in reality until you have a very well dampened room and are sitting perfectly on axis, because the FR graph is only valid on axis.

At any rate, it always depends on what you want in a speaker, of course, but I just love Genelec. Pricey, but they do the job real well. They even sound good in my regular-ass untreated room. I used to have a nice studio, but concessions had
Those are some sweet monitors!

I liked my KEF LS50 Metas but found my end game with my Adam Audio A7V monitors. I love these speakers.

Speakers in general, Kef is my "go to" brand. I've owned a couple sets of their home speakers and have heard them used in a few car audio, sound quality, installs and I love them.

Another favorite is Scanspeak, specifically the Revelators.

For computer speakers, in 2001 I bought a Sony Vaio PC at Circuit City and it came with a set of Sony powered 2.0 speakers. They weren't audiophile quality but I always thought they sounded great, a lot better than you'd think. I still have them too lol

View: https://youtu.be/vOEHCAiDanU?si=9C4cq9nFAUXIIoIA

These Kef lsx 2 just came out two years ago really impressed with them. Lots of ports for connection options.

I bought the LSX Meta last year and after a week returned them for a refund. They are nice stereo imagers for sure but the smaller cabinets means you MUST use a sub else you basically don't feel anything in any media played through them. I had the KEF Q300 from launch and to this day, especially after the LSX Meta, I don't think I could like anything else. the cabinets are perfectly sized with front firing bass ports. The bass is so rich that no sub is needed, music, games, anything I play is so full of liveliness in my midfield desktop setup.

1706391294707.jpeg

I recall paying £340 for them brand new back then, and they currently sell used for around £150 last I saw. I might buy a used pair at some point as the drivers will come in handy if I ever need to replace mine although KEF do sell the drivers on their own at around £100 a piece so probably just do that.

Such a good speaker I can't state that clearly enough! Previously powered them with a NAD D 3020, then D 7050, then D 3045, and now a Topping MX3s which is by all accounts just that much nicer than the NADs due to the level of tonal control it offers and its all metal construction and tiny size due to having an out-board power brick. Sonic quality and power is on par with the NADs easily.

Edit* I know it's a video, but just testing out new phone's mics and it picks up all the details nearly o give an idea:

View: https://i.imgur.com/fvogFjU.mp4

Last edited:
Best i have ever heard is the LIA AMT with the best AMT at this world in this league. If u want buy speaker like this u will pay more than 20K.
Ok, u will miss the last octave, but this is the task of the subwoofer. U could give the case also 20-30l more volume, then a subwoofer is not neccessary anymore.
I would never spend so much money again. But its nice to have.
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/lia-amt-cnc-high-end-hifi.1067374/
27.jpeg

I have had these JBL L1 (USA) speakers for well over a decade now and they are probably my favorite "computer" speakers that I have used... them being computer speakers because I am using them at my computer.. all in all the $50~ they cost me at an estate sale was money very well spent. In fairness I love my $50 NHT SuperZero's(USA) (also have a $20 NHT SW1(USA) passive subwoofer for these) and my also $50 Yamaha NS-344 speakers... for $150 it is a lot of options to mess about with.. on my desk currently also Minimus 7's (Japan) and also MK SX-7 (UK) speakers.... I actually am pretty pleased to have all of these, but I probably listen to the JBL's the most.. the Yamaha's when nobody else is home and can let my Sony TA-N77ES amp off it's chain a bit. The Minimus 7's get used with a Class D amp when it is hot as heck here in SoCal and the vintage amps / receivers would make the room way to hot.
1706761978755.png

1706762290200.jpeg

View attachment 630324

Yeah I did have a set of these during my UO days the satellites stopped working but I didn't have a control pod. I was sold on 5.1 when these came out.
I used the older 4.1 version of these for years and years ( Creative Cambridge SoundWorks FourPointSurround FPS2000 Digital 4.1 ).

I moved from those to the Logitech Z-5500 (which are still working and were recently moved to storage) as I finally made the move to an AVR.

Attachments

• 1_e3b914c112b3dc1fb6915bd43e2d175b.jpg
    1_e3b914c112b3dc1fb6915bd43e2d175b.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 0
Back