What to buy fro wireless

gamingguru

Weaksauce
I want to connect the PC in my basement with the PC in the living room.(upstairs) The one upstairs will share my feeble 56K connection with the other one. I want to be able to easily add friends that drop by to the network for some gaming. Both PC's are running XP(one is pro and one is home, but I don't think that really matters)

The question is, if I get two nic's and a router, will that be fine for my networking needs?

Thanks in advance for the input.;)

Probably, though nobody here can guarantee coverage in your home via wireless. You might consider getting an AP/Router combo with a bit higher gain antenna. I believe the newer Netgear hardware uses a 5 dBi dipole (antenna). You could then use horzontal polarization. Some antennas are permanently set to the AP, meaning you can't move it around. Want to stay away from something like that. Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, you should be pretty safe with any of those. My speedstream Ap/Router has a 5 dBi antenna and has coverage a couple of apartments over. Very dependable as well.

Back