What the heck is this?

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
I was in the middle of sleeving my cables on my Silverstone 1000w..

When I come across this:

65834517.jpg

Three questions..

1.) What does it do?
2.) Can I remove it?
3.) If not, can I move it down the cable so that it's not an inch from my card where I can't do any sleeving?

Thanks.

it's a capacitor , it's for reduce electrical noise & ripple, also helps with voltage stability.

Thats why people purchase certain power supplies when they are going to sleeve and not other ones!

You can try to find a similar spec cap on somewhere like Mouser with a smaller profile to replace it. You can remove it, but it is a nice feature.

I'd probably just put sheath on either side, and put a piece of heat shrink over the cap. Just watch out that you don't over heat the cap while shrinking...

I'm not hearing replies to my questions.

Again:

1.) Can I remove it?
2.) If not, can I place it on another point on the cable?

I'm not hearing replies to my questions.
Yes you are?

1.) What does it do?
it's a capacitor , it's for reduce electrical noise & ripple, also helps with voltage stability.

2.) Can I remove it?
You can remove it, but it is a nice feature.

3.) If not, can I move it down the cable so that it's not an inch from my card where I can't do any sleeving?

You were already told it could be removed, so this conditional question is rendered moot. For what it's worth, it was mentioned that you could replace it with a smaller cap to hide it better.
You can try to find a similar spec cap on somewhere like Mouser with a smaller profile to replace it
Putting it farther up the cable would render the capacitor marginally less effective, but wouldn't hurt.

Putting it farther up the cable would render the capacitor marginally less effective, but wouldn't hurt.

No offense, but your forum policing wasn't enlightening to me.

This was the only portion that was helpful.

I will move it further down the cable and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone.

No offense, but really you clearly had your answers and you came back with a reply that seemed pretty snarky and self indulgent.

Frankly I'm surprised you even got another reply with that attitude.

Thanks everyone.

Then you must simply have reading comprehension issues.

Everything you asked was answered the first time around, and when you rudely acted like your questions went unanswered, Unknown was nice enough to collect the quotes into one place.

You should be thanking Unknown for his time.

Best of luck with the PSU.

Back