What software do you use to determine stability?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I have always done simple overclocking, usually just running up my FSB. I go up incrementally until I see crashes. I raise the bus, run a benchmark that runs for a few minutes and then if it passes, raise the bus speed some more. Today I used a flyby benchmark from the game Stalker (a free benchmark you can download).

I really feel this is not that great of a method because 1) the flyby lasts 40 seconds or so and then pre caches a different environment and then runs again rather than running for 10 minutes straight. And 2), it can pass that benchmark just fine but if I am to leave the PC idle for 20 minutes, it will blue screen even though my "test" passed with flying colors.

I use Prime 95, atleast a 4 hour run time, preferably 10 hours

that or LinX, OCCT

Thanks for sharing OCCT. It is a much more complete tool than pure Prime 95.

LinX generally stress all your cores to the limit that's why the temp tend to be higher. OCCT can be frustrated sometimes as it did show 100% on the CPU for me once but when I checked the CPU usage it's only half of that.

IntelBurnTest gets you higher temps but for some reason, it can be stable with IBT and still fail on LinX.

I have been using IBT for preliminary tests, and then LinX for final stability testing.

If it isn't stable on IBT, there is no way it is going to be stable on LinX.

linx is the way to go, but make sure you close all background apps.
for instance, i had evga precision running in the background and linx would make the nvidia driver crash and restart.

Back