What should I get? Powerbook or Tablet PC?

muadist

n00b
Hi all, I'm looking into getting either a Powerbook or a Tablet PC with the money I received for christmas. Which do recommend that I get? I am a student in high school, so the Tablet PC might be a nice option for that. Currently I use linux, but have never tried a mac, so I was thinking the powerbook might be good for teaching me about apples and for video editing.

I was looking at the PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/SuperDrive/E/12"TFT - Refurbished for $1399 and the Compaq TC1000 Tablet PC with 1ghz/512mb/30GB for about $900-$1000 on ebay.

Any suggestions?

uh, i think you'll find mac's well polished coming from linux. do i think they're faster? no way. is there a wider selection of "professional" software on the mac? hell yes. is it cheap? haha yeah right. it's apple we're talking about.

i'd go for the mac and put my own 512MB sodimm in it (with aqua - even 10.3, 256MBs is UGLY slow - adjusted of course for the already slow-as-shit aqua). oh yeah. i'd wipe the hard drive and put gentoo on it. but the apple laptops use very nice hardware, they're solidly built - look purty too - and very light. the screens are pretty decent, and batterly life isn't horrible. but as a student - look into that a lot.

Yes.

Powerbook

Plain and simple :p

The only thing I miss on my Powerbook, G4 867mhz 512mb ram 40gb hd 15" TFT, is gaming capability (it has GeForce2go MX yadayada), but that´s honestly all.
The PB you are talking about is sweet and you can definitively run both iMovie and Final Cut Pro smoothly on those specs. I am. OSX 10.3 is very nice and stable.

The one you want is tiny, lightweight, will absolutely get attention from babes and if you are worried about taking notes at school, just wait for the new Office X for mac which has embedded audio recording in Word to help you out when you don´t wanna type.

Can you be that cool with a tablet pc? :cool:

Happy shopping!

No third choice, I have had a dell laptop, I have a custom built linux desktop. I'm really looking to experience something new.

Originally posted by MTB2Live,Live4Comps
is there a wider selection of "professional" software on the mac? hell yes. is it cheap?

How do you figure? Other than Apple's own software, (and I really doubt he is going to be video editing on a 12" PB) many software makers (3DSMax, Solidworks, AutoCAD etc) are Windows only.

If you have a dell laptop and one linux pc, get a mac!
Dude, you´ll have the best of all words ;)

Originally posted by olaf2821
How do you figure? Other than Apple's own software, (and I really doubt he is going to be video editing on a 12" PB) many software makers (3DSMax, Solidworks, AutoCAD etc) are Windows only.

I'm sure he meant more professional software than linux.

HP TC1100
check it out here: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/
I like it much more than my roomates powerbook. Its great for notetaking (all my notes this semester are in this tablet) and its great when you have people comming up with powerbooks asking what it is and complemeting about it.

Go for the Powerbook. I love mine. My first was a 800MHz 15" titanium in Summer 2002, then a 15" 1GHz Titanium in Nov. 2002, and now a 12" Aluminum (Nov. 2003).

Originally posted by karoth
Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD.

NOT LINUX.

Mac OS X is built around a Mach microkernel, as was NeXTStep (and inherits much of it's architecture philosophy from NS), and inherits it's ancillary environment from FreeBSD.

Originally posted by Rombus
HP TC1100
check it out here: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/
I like it much more than my roomates powerbook. Its great for notetaking (all my notes this semester are in this tablet) and its great when you have people comming up with powerbooks asking what it is and complemeting about it.

Yes make sure you get the 1100 with the centrino processor not that horrible transmeta. Ive ordered 2 1000's for work and now 2 1100's and the 1100 easily blow away the 1000's. BUT, make sure to get at least 512MB of RAM. Without it you will die trying to use it. Ive used the Toshiba, the HP/Compaq and the fujitsu tablets and for capabilities/speed/ease of use, get the HP TC1100. If you want the fastest (of the three for use with many applications) but much less capabilities get the Toshiba. Just my opinion after using all of them.

But to be honest I would spend less money and get a awesome laptop for the $2000+ you will pay for a Tablet, they still have a long way to go.

If you're going to get an Apple laptop get an iBook. The powerbooks gain you a DVD writer if you want it, but they're not as sturdy and much more expensive. The iBooks fit the lightweight basic computer category well. The powerbooks are thin, but overpriced and underpowered and compared to comparable laptops their screens are poor.

The iBooks are a much better choice IMO and obviously a good bit cheaper.

Otherwise look at IBM, the lexus of laptops (now they have trackpads on some of them too, yay!).

Originally posted by That_Sound_Guy
Yes make sure you get the 1100 with the centrino processor not that horrible transmeta. Ive ordered 2 1000's for work and now 2 1100's and the 1100 easily blow away the 1000's. BUT, make sure to get at least 512MB of RAM. Without it you will die trying to use it. Ive used the Toshiba, the HP/Compaq and the fujitsu tablets and for capabilities/speed/ease of use, get the HP TC1100. If you want the fastest (of the three for use with many applications) but much less capabilities get the Toshiba. Just my opinion after using all of them.

But to be honest I would spend less money and get a awesome laptop for the $2000+ you will pay for a Tablet, they still have a long way to go.
Yeah, the TC1000 was the transmeta, The TC1100 comes in 1ghz "Sorta-Centrino" Flavor and 800 mhz celeron flavor. I Love my TC1100 1ghz, i couldnet live without it right now. I plan to upgrade the memory to a gig just for that extra speed and go to a G wirless card.

IF i had the money (figuring its almost 1.5k more than the tc1100) and i wanted less portablility i would have went with the M200 from toshiba, that things gota be a screamer. Too bad no tablets with ATI vid cards though

Back